What did you do to your bike today?

fabiamk2SE

It has been a busy few days at Gyp towers...

On top of the raised mudguard, centre stand, heated grips, clock, intake covers and rugged pannier that were fitted a while back, I've now fitted the mountings so I can use the sat nav from my BMW, sump guard and bars, Scottoiler X-System, Fox shocks and the posy number plate thing

The bespoke luggage system to allow me to fit my Givis should be back from the powder coaters next week, and the modified catalytic converter should be here too so there will be a bit more spanner waving.

Despite it being the least powerful bike I've ridden in years, I'm really loving this Triumph

.SS900.thumb.jpg.de846bf73b4a89b85fce999e31fb537e.jpg

Edited by Gyp
  • Like 4

...oh and fitted the 12V auxiliary power socket.

I have absolutely no idea what I'll use it for or even if i will, but as fitting it requires removal of the tank and exhaust, it seemed a worthwhile thing to do when they were off...just in case.

Very rarely use my 12v socket for powering things but do use it for plugging the trickle charger into. 

It’s not all about power with bikes but what you get out of them. 

4 hours ago, CWARD said:

Very rarely use my 12v socket for powering things but do use it for plugging the trickle charger into. 

I've got a Ctek charging point with led charge level indications for that

4 hours ago, CWARD said:

It’s not all about power with bikes but what you get out of them. 

Indeed. It has half the power of my R1200R and a third the power that my Hayabusa had, but it puts a smile on my face and that's why I ride

13 hours ago, Gyp said:

On top of the raised mudguard, centre stand, heated grips, clock, intake covers and rugged pannier that were fitted a while back, I've now fitted the mountings so I can use the sat nav from my BMW, sump guard and bars, Scottoiler X-System, Fox shocks and the posy number plate thing

The bespoke luggage system to allow me to fit my Givis should be back from the powder coaters next week, and the modified catalytic converter should be here too so there will be a bit more spanner waving.

Despite it being the least powerful bike I've ridden in years, I'm really loving this Triumph

Looks the business :thumbup:

Well just sold the Fireblade to my Dad, Cancelled the Insurance on that also. I am now Bike-Less again.

Had a few Hours looking at Bikes For Sale the other Day and just couldn’t be any less interested, I rode the Fireblade down to my Dads yesterday and didn’t enjoy it.

I have properly lost the Biking Bug :(

• Sad 2

On 03/08/2019 at 09:27, Gyp said:

What do you think about the Scottoiler X-System was thinking about this for my Tiger 800 as the Scottoiler V-System isn't recommended?!

9 hours ago, Prykey said:

What do you think about the Scottoiler X-System was thinking about this for my Tiger 800 as the Scottoiler V-System isn't recommended?!

only had it on a couple of days but initial impressions are good. Quicker and easier to fit than the V-system and, realistically easier to transfer from bike to bike at a later date.

My understanding is that the reason the V-systems aren't recommended by Triumph is that some people messed up the install and got air leaks on the vacuum tubes. Of course, if you do it properly and don't mess up the vacuum tubes then it shouldn't be a problem.

The X-system is pretty darned expensive though; I got a pre owned one from eBay but not much saving 

• Like 1

Fitted some luggage so when I say I'm going for a ride and the missus says "while you're out, can you please pick up...", i don't have to wheel it back into the garage and get the keys to the Superb

9ac5884b66538a01bc00148590d633b3.jpg.6385eece2d9ff43d02b6f240ace8c441.jpg

b7cb2cd80ddc79a1cb9d763f14270865.jpg.c9190ba32920ce1c6f0c23e5b4361038.jpg

4c42b93d0d9463993737dd8d8306ab9c.jpg.ce67d22c85cfa1adfff0c79e1df45b98.jpg

d14dbd9dec32c7198c24ddf8445de21f.jpg.a34c4fd0b929defced63ef320c80019a.jpg

e99b472c58b43e97ff4960351984c4c0.jpg.5051b435286b6ed79f95634d44ba5156.jpg

OK, it might look wide but it's narrower than my BMW F650 single with factory panniers!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Gyp said:

only had it on a couple of days but initial impressions are good. Quicker and easier to fit than the V-system and, realistically easier to transfer from bike to bike at a later date.

My understanding is that the reason the V-systems aren't recommended by Triumph is that some people messed up the install and got air leaks on the vacuum tubes. Of course, if you do it properly and don't mess up the vacuum tubes then it shouldn't be a problem.

The X-system is pretty darned expensive though; I got a pre owned one from eBay but not much saving 

Thanks for your prompt response.

My local Triumph dealer installed a V-System for me on my Sprint GT SE and it was fine, however they now have a policy not to fit any items not sourced from Triumph so I figured that either the X-System or the Fully Electronic System should be less invasive options, I get what you say about the pricing however oiling chains is a pain in the backside.

6 minutes ago, Prykey said:

Thanks for your prompt response.

My local Triumph dealer installed a V-System for me on my Sprint GT SE and it was fine, however they now have a policy not to fit any items not sourced from Triumph so I figured that either the X-System or the Fully Electronic System should be less invasive options, I get what you say about the pricing however oiling chains is a pain in the backside.

I fitted it with the Scorpion and I'm less convinced by that. It looked like a neater solution than the standard fitting, but it actually looks as if it will make wheel removal/refitting and chain adjustment harder. It also doesn't mount particularly well with the curved section swingarm on the Scrambler.

But it's on now.

11 hours ago, Gyp said:

I fitted it with the Scorpion and I'm less convinced by that. It looked like a neater solution than the standard fitting, but it actually looks as if it will make wheel removal/refitting and chain adjustment harder. It also doesn't mount particularly well with the curved section swingarm on the Scrambler.

But it's on now.

I had an Arrow end can fitted by the dealer, sometimes you can be lucky and get accessories from Triumph at discounted prices :biggrin:.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spent weeks and weeks and weeks sorting out new lid's camera setup (frigging mounts). Had it's first use in anger yesterday and first time using the new camera I bought almost 3 years ago but never got to use on bike. Loving the results and OMG NO DRAG! What have I been doing all these years having a boxy camera on sides of lid 😮

New Lid.jpg

Edited by FUBAR

8 hours ago, FUBAR said:

Spent weeks and weeks and weeks sorting out new lid's camera setup (frigging mounts). Had it's first use in anger yesterday and first time using the new camera I bought almost 3 years ago but never got to use on bike. Loving the results and OMG NO DRAG! What have I been doing all these years having a boxy camera on sides of lid 😮

New Lid.jpg

How does it affect your air flow for clearing the visor and ventilation 

8 hours ago, CWARD said:

How does it affect your air flow for clearing the visor and ventilation 

Airflow was fine, had both open for full through flow, pinlock anyway for the misty side of life. Rain dispersal not tested yet, but 99.9% of visor still open to windage. 

ps. new summer gloves first outing too, new jacket yet to be used. 

Chin Mount SS1.png

Edited by FUBAR

21 minutes ago, FUBAR said:

Airflow was fine, had both open for full through flow, pinlock anyway for the misty side of life. Rain dispersal not tested yet, but 99.9% of visor still open to windage. 

ps. new summer gloves first outing too, new jacket yet to be used. 

Chin Mount SS1.png

New summer gloves..... that explains why it’s now raining. 

I gave up with the camera on the helmet, then hacked off with removing it from the bike to stop it getting nicked.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

20 minutes ago, CWARD said:

I gave up with the camera on the helmet, then hacked off with removing it from the bike to stop it getting nicked.  

Folk around here park brand new bikes all day on the pavements and just leave them on the kick stand, no alarms no locks, it's perverse! 

1 minute ago, CWARD said:

Leaving a camera is asking to have it nicked. My brother had a pannier nicked off his Kwak when he went to the shops. 

Saw this yesterday, reminded me of my very first bike camera setup with a wee Sony CCD mounted under the nose. Bit cheap and nasty but might be a good solution. (mine was like £369 back in the day 😮

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07HRJWRXY

• Like 1

On 28/08/2019 at 17:50, CWARD said:

I bought a Triumph armoured mesh jacket at the weekend. That's also reason for the rain and change in temperature.

Of course it's hot today, but that's because the Scottoiler is off for warranty work so the bike's off the road (simply because I have tubes hanging off it, not that I won't ride without the Scottoiler)

Edited by Gyp
  • Like 1

Tubes! I wonder what the hell tunes had to do with riding you’re bike. 

You should have bought the PDOiler. 

ps. Think of others and take your mesh jacket back so we can enjoy the sunshine again 😀

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

On Saturday I did the annual Ride To The Wall. I took an old army mate who hadn't done it before and he loved it meeting up with others he'd not seen in ages whilst helping to raise funds to keep the NMA running. The organisers did a great job again under difficult conditions as the river had flooded and covered half the grounds and with nearly 7000 bikes and over 15,000 people attending they still managed get us all in.

I've not had much time on the bike this year and the MOT tester will be taking the mikey with so little miles covered come test again. It felt great to be on two wheels again but my body ached afterwards, I must get more miles in next year.

• Like 1