Help - just bought Monte Carlo and do short journeys mostly. Mistake?

twoladies

Right oh....... next dilemma.  Ah need a towbar.  I don't want a removable one - sounds like a recipe for disaster.  Anyway, I like having a battering ram at the back.  Wish I could have one on the front as well!!! :D

I shall take it up to GT Towing who seem to know what they are doing....... and keep my fingers well-crossed.  Don't want it to affect my lovely rear sensors :D  Now, now, no rude comments please!! 

Anything I should be mentioning to GT Towing?  Seems to be something to do with 'coding' whatever that is - read lots of info on here which is incomprehensible!  Hopefully, they will be aware of everything necessary.

Make sure they use a PROPER towing loom and not a cheap by-pass relay type.

Ask them are they able to do the FULL re-coding. If they say no or look quizzical find someone else to do it!

Make sure they use a PROPER towing loom and not a cheap by-pass relay type.

Ask them are they able to do the FULL re-coding. If they say no or look quizzical find someone else to do it!

Aha......so there is a coding issue.  Amazing what a bit of Yeti education will do. :D

Thanks for the advice. 

And whatever is a towing loom?

How will I know if it isn't a PROPER loom?  And how will I know if it isn't the FULL re-coding?

The towing loom is the wiring that connects the wiring from the back of the car to the towing plug.

If the car is correctly coded you will find:

the radio display will show a trailer display when you select reverse and the trailer is plugged in

the rear parking sensors are disabled when the trailer is plugged in

the rear fog light is disabled when the trailer is plugged in

the alarm system is extended so that if the trailer is unplugged the alarm sounds

the bulb failure system is extended to the trailer and acts as the legal requirement to have a notification that the flashers aren't working

plus a few others that are not obvious..........

• Like 1

To add to Graham's post, there are two ways of getting the towbar wiring to work:

Way 1 - a vehicle-specific wiring loom

This is a piece of wiring and a control box that is made specifically to fit your car.  There are places built into your car that this wiring will plug into.  It will require the removal (and subsequent replacement) of some interior trim to install but is relatively straightforward.  Once installed, the Yeti's main computer can be told that there is new 'module' fitted and what to do with it.  This then enables all the good stuff that Graham mentioned.  This is the "coding" part, where a computer device is plugged into your car to teach it about the new wiring.  If your car has "towbar prep" from the factory then there is less work involved in fitting this kit - you should make sure you know if you have this and let the fitter know, because the wiring loom they use will depend on this.

Way 2 - a universal relay wiring loom

This is a piece of wiring that has the bare minimum connections to make the lights on the trailer light up when they should.  It is usually installed by cutting into the wiring of your car, using something called a 'Scotchlok' (or similar).  There is no 'module' or coding because the Yeti's main brain is oblivious to its presence.  None of the features Graham mentioned will work, nor can they ever be made to work.  The trailer lights will work, but at the expense of your car's wiring integrity.  It is cheaper than above.

Needless to say, I went for "Way 1" - mine was towbar-prepped and I fitted the trailer wiring myself.

.  "If your car has "towbar prep" from the factory then there is less work involved in fitting this kit - you should make sure you know if you have this and let the fitter know, because the wiring loom they use will depend on this."

Sooooo - how do I find out if the car is towbar prepped from the factory?

.  "If your car has "towbar prep" from the factory then there is less work involved in fitting this kit - you should make sure you know if you have this and let the fitter know, because the wiring loom they use will depend on this."

Sooooo - how do I find out if the car is towbar prepped from the factory?

find out what you ordered perhaps? What did the dealer sell you? All roads point to the dealer for this query

Hi twoladies,  when you talk to GT Towing and when you book your car in, make the point that you want the electrics coded for the Yeti.

I had my tow-bar fitted there last year and all done perfect.  Spent a couple of hours in their customer waiting area and a fair few cups of coffee (free).

When all finished they showed me the electrics working correctly with a lighting board they plugged in.

Very polite service and, I felt a fair price.

• Like 1

I think the code 1D7 ('Trailer Hitch Preparation') is the one you should look for.  You should find the square codes sticker in the Service book and under the boot floor. 

Here you go (courtesy of TP, Aerofurb etc):  http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/144398-yeti-se-vehicle-data-codes/?p=1852975&hl=buid%20codes&fromsearch=1#entry1852975

Edited by Brijo

Panic stations......... :thumbdown:  :thumbdown:  Its code 1DO...................However, hopefully GT Towing will be able to deal with it.

Thingy, did yours have the towbar prep?  i.e. Code 1D7?

Hi twoladies,  when you talk to GT Towing and when you book your car in, make the point that you want the electrics coded for the Yeti.

I had my tow-bar fitted there last year and all done perfect.  Spent a couple of hours in their customer waiting area and a fair few cups of coffee (free).

When all finished they showed me the electrics working correctly with a lighting board they plugged in.

Very polite service and, I felt a fair price.

Edited by twoladies

Another way to check is to look at the underneath of the rear bumper. If the car is towbar-prepped it should have a removable 'hatch' panel fitted to the bumper. This is the easiest check... another way to check is to see if there are any towing-related fuses in the fusebox.

Edited by weasley