TwinChargers in the Heat

35*C yesterday, can't complain at that :)

However the impact on the VRS! Honestly felt normally aspirated, just nothing there whatsoever. Couldn't get past a transit FFS! No lights or apparent problems otherwise.

Still normal service has resumed today. Running on 97 at the mo.

Shouldn't make that amount of difference - the transit will be forced induction too...

Have you checked for boost leaks?

Yes I thought the same. Obviously it will make less bhp but it feels consistent from 0-30*C (to me anyway, I'm no 'driver'), not happy at all at 35. Was mostly the supercharger zone that was impacted.

Edited by pearce_jj
  • Like 1

I just distrust the fuels, any stations / brands, and had a bad Sainsburys Super Unleaded experience. 

But i just really think running 95 or 97 in a Twincharger can be noticeable, even within NSL's.

Forgive me - NSLs?

Mine was actually operating normally at 30*C. I wondered if it was some kind of change to the map that was applied at a certain threshold (like 35). Maybe our contributors from sunnier places might know.

Edited by pearce_jj
  • Like 1

Heat is always going to be a problem with forced induction. In Australia, the recommended fuel for the Vrs is min 98 octane. 95 isn't mentioned. Well, it sort of is in brackets.

Edited by alloyvee
  • Like 1

Just driven mine fully laden across France, over the Pyrenees and into Spain in 38deg. Accelerating up all the hills very well, cruise control at 81mph, aircon doing its stuff - and still 40mpg.

• Like 2

Can't say I noticed a difference on Wednesday, 37 degrees ambient temp, stuck in gridlock traffic for over 2 hours, air con on full. As soon as the road opened up she still didn't fail to put a smile on my face nor did she fail to perform.

• Like 1

mine has been fine, no issues. I thought my aircon was a bit weak, but it kept me icy cool at 31C outside, so its all good.

didn't notice any dropoff, and i was pushing it at some points ;)

edit: my old mark I was a different matter! used to loose about 30 bhp when temps got above 25C

• Like 1

Stopped or crawling along in Traffic or just Stopped parked with the engine running in ambient heats above 25*oC or so & a up to heat engine thats been driven, sun hitting the closed bonnet and the temperature behind the battery needs read to be believed.

(Use a Digital Fridge Thermometer, about £3, just to check how hot)

So if you have a Black Air Box with a Filter in sitting there behind the battery area at temps about 40*oC Plus, that is really rather hot as you sit ticking over,

no Supercharger engaged or the likes just a 1.4 TSI running at below 800 rpm, and the Cooling Fans doing their thing on the Radiator.

( Dark/ Black cars under bonnet is likely to be hotter than a white one when the Sun is splitting the pavement.)

Low Tech / Old Skool / Much Cheapness

post-86161-0-92848300-1435922967_thumb.jpg

Edited by goneoffSKi

Obviously not a possibility for every owner but I am fortunate enough to be able to open the bonnet at home and let the heat dissapate along with the electric water pump circulating coolant after shutdown.

i saw 34 on the dash on wednesday and the car seemed to drive normally, i could feel initial acceleration felt a little off but i put that down to the AC being ran with the blower on full so it was having a hard time.

No need for heated seats here in Oz....hahaha. Sounds more like bad fuel. Last week here in Sydney we had 20+ cars breakdown on the motorway after filling up with E10 at the same service station. Fuelled up there with 98 about 3 years ago and had lots of problems too for the next few month with my fuel. Recommend finding a good high octane nearby and using them when ever possible. 

• Like 1