Michelin Cross Climate tyres

awfabia

Having managed 35,000 miles on my original 17" Pirellis, I am considering buying Michelin's latest Cross Climate tyre as they usually produce an excellent (if expensive) product. However, as the Michelin is so new, it's difficult to be sure of their performance over two or three years and I'm wary of potential problems of being an 'early adopter'.

Michelin's publicity says they are different (and better) than 'allweather' tyres offered by other manufacturers, I would be grateful for any comments Briskodians have on different makes of allweather tyres. Several posts mention the Goodyears but which other allweathers can you comment on?

I had a look at the new Michelin Cross Climate tyres in a dealer and, unless I'm mistaken, they don't seem to carry the 'snowflake' symbol which is mandatory in Germany in the winter. It is also a sign of their general performance on snow and ice. I am currently running Goodyear Vector 4 Seasons all round (4x4) and can't fault them.

Just Googled the Michelin Cross Climate tyres and they are approved to meet the 3PMSF certification for performance on snow. The 3Peaks Mountain Snowflake is certified to meet the standard for snow tyres in ALL European countries.HTH

Tony

I was reading about these the other day along with Nokian Weatherproof All weather tyres.

I think it said that the michelin tyres were summer tyres adapted for all year whilst the nokians were winter adapted for all year (or something like that).

Both sound good, although I may go for the nokians as its more winter than summer temps up here most of the time.

• Like 1

Not sure on these new all-weather tyres, although I'm sure I've read a organisation, possible ADAC, have heavily tested the Michelin and rate it.

Myself I'm considering the recently introduced Verdestein Quatrac 5 for our V40, which runs on the same 225/50 R17 tyre as many a UK Yeti does, as they are a newer profile than the venerable Vector 4, by a company with a good reputation for winter rubber.

TP

I've been running on Hankook Optimo 4S for the last 2 1/2 years and although the last two winters haven't been too challenging I've found them to be pretty good. Due to puncture issues one pair are newer than the other however the older pair have done more than 31000 miles with still more than 4mm of tread left.

I've fitted Michelin cross climates to the octavia. Well the dealer did while doing the pdi. Car came with a set of 4 brand new pirellis in the boot. (couldn't fit those in the yeti without folding the seats) :)

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons on and have done for around 20,000 miles, maybe more. They have done two winters and a full summer, plus the current one. There is still plenty of life on one pair, with the other pair getting a bit thin now. I have been hugely impressed, especially with their performance in cold, standing water and their life through the summer months. I would happily go for all season tyres again based on this experience.

I fitted a set of 4 Michelin CCs on my 140 2.0 TDI DSG Yeti a couple of months ago, so have had no chance to test them in severe weather yet. They seem to run smoothly and, suprprisingly, seem to lead to about 10% lower fuel consumption (was typically 35-40 MPG and is now 40-45 MPG on a ful lto full basis). So, very happy so far.

• Like 3

I'd like to see some independent, controlled comparison tests first, to see if the results back up the Cross Climate hype.

Ideally comparing a range of all-seasons, plus a top-end summer and a top-end winter tyre for benchmarks.

I've had them on for 3 days now and cost £80.00 each Black circles online fitted. Ride a lot smoother than previous Pirelli's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A question for those who have fitted these, please: Have the Michelin CCs got enough "belly" to protect the wheel against kerbs? I ask because I changed tyres on my other car, for supposedly the same size (and brand) but the new ones just weren't as fat so the wheels are more vulnerable. My Yeti is on 17".

A question for those who have fitted these, please: Have the Michelin CCs got enough "belly" to protect the wheel against kerbs? I ask because I changed tyres on my other car, for supposedly the same size (and brand) but the new ones just weren't as fat so the wheels are more vulnerable. My Yeti is on 17".

Valid point.

My standard 17" Dunlops that came with the car are, indeed, sufficiently bulging to prevent damage to the rims.  After 4 yrs I still have no damage whatsoever.

• Like 1

Michelin make excellent tyres and their offerings are at least market standard-often better. I have viewed the links above and they appear to be able to stop a car a vehicle length sooner than existing all season tyres. Think about it stopping just short of someone else's accident or only after a possibly life changing accident. TUV and others agree, I'm sure that good year will be OK 99 times out of 100. I will fit some michelins before next winter and sell my Winter Nokians and Annapurnas to someone with more need of true winter tyres-good luck to the Vector users -please don't follow me too closely!!

It's not all down to the tyres, a major input from one component of any car can over rule any tyre fitted and that is the human part behind the wheel in the seat :sweat:  :o

I've had them on for 3 days now and cost £80.00 each Black circles online fitted. Ride a lot smoother than previous Pirelli's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

£80!!??  Are these 225/50/17s?  Very good price if so.  I remember paying somewhere in the region of £600 for 4x GoodYear Vector 4S (fitted).