Michelin Cross Climate tyres

awfabia

Our Volvo dealer has quoted £410 fitted for a set of Cross Climates in the 225/50 R17 size, which was noticeably cheaper than the Goodyear price, albeit they were out of stock anyway. Due to go get them fitted all being well on Friday.

Usually expect Michelin's to be by far the pricer tyre and maybe they will go up in time once they are a more common sight in the market.

TP

Hi , was thinking of buying the Michelin cross climates for my newly bought mk1 Fabia Vrs ,but only available in Denmark so far in 205/55/16 . Current tyres are 205/45/16 , is there any pitfalls or problems with the marginally higher profile ?

Any help or advice out here ? Thanks...

Hi , was thinking of buying the Michelin cross climates for my newly bought mk1 Fabia Vrs ,but only available in Denmark so far in 205/55/16 . Current tyres are 205/45/16 , is there any pitfalls or problems with the marginally higher profile ?

Higher profile for slightly softer and more absorbent ride at a v slight handling disadvantage......would suite me.

Best ask this question on the Fabia I forum, but you'll have higher gearing (which will blunt your acceleration and make your speedo under-read), and potentially give you clearance issues with rubbing at the back and at the front on full lock.

Our Volvo dealer has quoted £410 fitted for a set of Cross Climates in the 225/50 R17 size, which was noticeably cheaper than the Goodyear price, albeit they were out of stock anyway. Due to go get them fitted all being well on Friday.

Usually expect Michelin's to be by far the pricer tyre and maybe they will go up in time once they are a more common sight in the market.

TP

Got four Michelin Cross Climates fitted to my 2009 Yeti yesterday (215/60R16 99V).

Cost £427.60 fitted via CarTyres.com

Too early to comment on handling but seem a bit quieter than my eNtyres.

• Like 1

Excuse another brief OT, please? 

Those 'new-fangled' radial Michelin X's transformed my Triumph Herald 12/40.  It used to eat cross-plys.  (Our ages showing here :think: ?)

By sheer chance, I've just unearthed my old Herald log.  The Michelin Xs - a set of five plus tubes - were fitted on 14 June 1967 at 38,250 miles.  Inexplicably, I didn't record the cost!  The next item was two gallons of Curfew petrol - 10s.10d = 10 shillings and ten pence + nearly 55p.  There are times when I feel old. 

• Like 1

I noticed my tyres are getting near to replacement time so I came back to this thread for an update on the reviews.  I currently have the Goodyear Vector 4Seasons on there and they have done around 38,000 miles through all seasons (although no proper winter to speak of).  I am astonished that tyres with supposedly softer compound have lasted so well.  The OEM tyres did 12,000 miles!

I'm very drawn to the Michelin Cross Climates so may get a set on there before winter proper arrives and see how they go.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting topic and thanks to all who contributed.

Off to Costco next week to get a set of Cross Climates for my Mother's Yeti - about £125 a corner fitted with £50 off for 4 on 17s.

I've put the Spitzberg alloys with the original Pirelli P Zeros on ebay and the Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes will follow once I've got them off.

Just an update on my CC's.

Fitted 14/10,  definitely a bit quieter than the Rosso's.

Covered 1800 miles so far, a minor mpg increase or I'm not pressing the right foot so hard.

One important part is,  the speedo used to be 4 to 5 miles faster than my Tom-Tom at 70 to 80 speed.

It's now 1 to 2 miles faster. No idea why or how this has changed. Tyres are the same quoted size.

Worth the price as feel softer over some usual very bumpy roads. Road grip feels the same. 

Just an update on my CC's.

Fitted 14/10,  definitely a bit quieter than the Rosso's.

Covered 1800 miles so far, a minor mpg increase or I'm not pressing the right foot so hard.

One important part is,  the speedo used to be 4 to 5 miles faster than my Tom-Tom at 70 to 80 speed.

It's now 1 to 2 miles faster. No idea why or how this has changed. Tyres are the same quoted size.

Worth the price as feel softer over some usual very bumpy roads. Road grip feels the same.

Re TomTom

New tyre v marginally increase the gearing due to the ever so slight increase in diameter/circumference but I would have thought certainly no more then 1 mph.

Not sure on these new all-weather tyres, although I'm sure I've read a organisation, possible ADAC, have heavily tested the Michelin and rate it.

Myself I'm considering the recently introduced Verdestein Quatrac 5 for our V40, which runs on the same 225/50 R17 tyre as many a UK Yeti does, as they are a newer profile than the venerable Vector 4, by a company with a good reputation for winter rubber.

TP

I put Quatrac 5s on my Merc 300E in September and wanted them for my Superb but the size wasn't available yet so I put Quatrac 3s on instead.  So far they have been great on both cars.  The Superb will be going to Austria in January so we'll see how they do in snow (if there is any...there's none yet!).

John

Looks like the Cross Climate is gaining acceptance in the commercial market too. The link below is to an article on  the Honest John website:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/news/parts-and-accessories/2015-11/addison-lee-fits-michelin-cross-climate-tyres-to-5000-private-hire-cabs/

• 1 month later...

Its tyre change time for me soon. As the only load rating available in 225/50 R17 is 98, my question is do people that have these fitted to their Yetis notice a harder ride compared to their original 94 rated tyres?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had these on for a few weeks now and they are much softer than the standard PZeros that came on it. 

The grip in the wet is impressive, Now I am just waiting for the frost to return to see what they are like :)

i'm very happy with them so far.

Edited by RS939
  • Like 1

I have had these on for a few weeks now and they are much softer than the standard PZeros that came on it. 

The grip in the wet is impressive, Now I am just waiting for the frost to return to see what they are like :)

i'm very happy with them so far.

Funnily enough, I've just had a set fitted this morning. They seem much quieter than the P Zero's. very pleased with them so far although still early days   :happy:

Edited by anderson99

I replaced the Pirelli's with 4 Nokian Weatherproof's for £357.00 from Tyreleader. Impressions so far are good, road noise seems the same as with original Pirelli's and I haven't lost traction yet. Driving with a bit more confidence now through the torrential rain we have been getting for the last month and a half.

I've had CCs on for a couple of weeks now.

First observation is that they don't feel quite so sure-footted. They feel softer; in a slightly disconnected way rather than a racing slicks way.