The 280PS Thread

So you have to pay for the fuel?

I just knew someone would come up with that  :clap:  but no, we share fuel costs.

My brother and sister-in-law would like a Superb but it's too long to fit in their garage (they're now looking at the new VW Tiguan)

The Merc 350 owner came very close to buying a Superb but then admitted he's a self-confessed badge snob. (retired traffic cop)

The BMW owner wanted to buy my Superb II but his wife decided she wanted a new house instead. (police driving school instructor)

The Passat owner is happy being bored!!! (police driving school instructor)

The hint in brackets is that these are guys who love driving.

I just looked looked at the BMW M-Sport and it got to over £45k to try and spec it to L&K 280 spec, that did give it LED Headlights, however it didn't give it 4x4 or the room inside that the 280 L&K has!

We've just spent the last two days driving / comparing two 330D X-Drive Tourers to replace SWMBO's Vrs Octy.

Tried a Luxury & an M-Sport, both used, ex. BMW '15 plate cars , under 10K miles, but we are not that impressed.

A bit cramped inside & a small boot when compared to her FL Octy,  quite reasonable quality but not right for us.

A new Luxury, comparable with a Superb 280 SE-L was well over £40K, the used '15 plate Luxury with a Sunroof & other minor toys was £27,700, which seems to be a big drop 

for a year old Junior "Executive" Estate.

Right now, I think she will end-up in a Golf of some sort!

DC

Thanks for the link, more justification for your purchase?

Maybe not this year, but I really do want one of these cars. I could never justify it, but maybe that just doesn't matter!

Happy days, DC

• Like 2

Thanks for the link, more justification for your purchase?

Maybe not this year, but I really do want one of these cars. I could never justify it, but maybe that just doesn't matter!

Happy days, DC

Maybe lol !! No i'm at peace with my purchase. Love it. Justification isn't in my vocabulary.  We are on this earth for such a short time that if we are in such a fortunate position to be able to afford nice things then I do. If I had loads of money my nice thing purchasing would increase exponentially :-)

Ferrari 250 GTO

427 Cobra

P51 Mustang

Cessna Citation X

etc etc etc !

• Like 2

Maybe lol !! No i'm at peace with my purchase. Love it. Justification isn't in my vocabulary.  We are on this earth for such a short time that if we are in such a fortunate position to be able to afford nice things then I do. If I had loads of money my nice thing purchasing would increase exponentially :-)

Ferrari 250 GTO

427 Cobra

P51 Mustang

Cessna Citation X

etc etc etc !

I like your style, Nick.

It took me a few seconds to realize that Ford never made a P51 Mustang, but North American Aviation did......................

Not so sure about the Cobra though......

DC

• Like 1

So Autocar reckons the 4WD is “permanent”. Great research, once again.

I do like that article better, though, especially:

If you like a Q-car, then they don’t come any more cloaked than this Skoda Superb 2.0 TSI 280 4x4 DSG” – top of the list of reasons to buy in my book

“The cabin is as roomy as anything you’ll find this side of a Mercedes-Benz S-Class, and the fit and finish isn’t far off one, either" - finally a journalist puts this aspect into a fitting context … which is of course also why the car simply cannot handle as nicely around twisty bits as the much more compact 3 Series

So Autocar reckons the 4WD is “permanent”. Great research, once again.

I do like that article better, though, especially:

If you like a Q-car, then they don’t come any more cloaked than this Skoda Superb 2.0 TSI 280 4x4 DSG” – top of the list of reasons to buy in my book

“The cabin is as roomy as anything you’ll find this side of a Mercedes-Benz S-Class, and the fit and finish isn’t far off one, either" - finally a journalist puts this aspect into a fitting context … which is of course also why the car simply cannot handle as nicely around twisty bits as the much more compact 3 Series

Fit and finish isnt far off?

Fit and finish in S class is top quality leather on center console and the doors, not plastics from Dacia Sandero.

Skoda has only Haldex

Yep, but gen5 is "permanent 4WD" since rear axel has always atleast 5% of the total torque. Gen5 is never only 2WD (unless you overheat the system).

Blimey!

All this `gobbledegook!

Can I please ask in a different way...

Is it normally 2 wheel drive and automatically moves into 4 wheel drive when it senses loss of traction (as I understand that's `Intelligent` 4 wheel drive)

Or is it always in 4 when drive?

Thanks again.

Blimey!

All this `gobbledegook!

Can I please ask in a different way...

Is it normally 2 wheel drive and automatically moves into 4 wheel drive when it senses loss of traction (as I understand that's `Intelligent` 4 wheel drive)

Or is it always in 4 when drive?

Thanks again.

Yes it's not always in 4wd ;-) Edited by Nick_H

Er, actually, yes it is always 4wd, in as far as all four wheels are being driven all the time. As Hawtin says, under no load/stress it is 95% front, 5% rear. Drive to the rear is increased (and front drive correspondingly reduced) through the electronically controlled Haldex multi-plate clutch, as required (like when giving it some welly).

Torsen, a mechanical differential using gears and worms, is not used by VAG with any transverse mounted engines.

• Like 1

Er, actually, yes it is always 4wd, in as far as all four wheels are being driven all the time. As Hawtin says, under no load/stress it is 95% front, 5% rear. Drive to the rear is increased (and front drive correspondingly reduced) through the electronically controlled Haldex multi-plate clutch, as required (like when giving it some welly).

Torsen, a mechanical differential using gears and worms, is not used by VAG with any transverse mounted engines.

Correct. And it is important also to understand that in order to increase torque to the rear axel the system doesn't need to sense loss of traction. Gen5 (actually not really Haldex anymore since it was sold to BorgWarner around five years ago) anticipates loss of traction on the basis of for example steering direction, acceleration and so on. When starting it usually uses 50-50 but this can be adjusted by manufacturers. In octavia Skoda has used 50-50 so it might be the same in superb. So you cannot sense any delay in 4WD anymore and also gen4 has had the same principle. And it works very well and this not only my opinion. But I'm very well aware of the quite fruitless and endless discussion between "real 4WD's" (torsen and other mechanicly executed systems) and electronic based systems. There are many "Torsen-men" in Skandinavia. And sure Torsen is very good but it is also hevier and more expensive system. And in real life that is not really necessary in normal road cars even in snowy countries as the one I live in (Finland). Of course if you spend the hole day on ice track electronic system will propably overheat but it has nothing to do with the everyday use of the car...

Is the 4x4 system `Permanant` or `Intelligent`?

Many thanks.

It's both;-). Of course for example Torsen is also both if by "intelligent" is meant that the system changes drive ratios on the fly.

Ah well, here’s a 95% apology to the journalist, then.

Be that as it may …

toni8b – any comparison of Skoda with ‘premium’ brands (the way the industry wants us to perceive this concept) seems to get you rather agitated. So, to assuage your concerns, I will clarify that I think the writer was right to illustrate that the Superb is a near S-class match in terms of roominess. Of course drawing a close comparison in terms of fit and finish was rather overstating it, which you then felt compelled to do in the opposite direction.

The point – and the beauty – is that this new Superb, and especially the 280, is not so easy to categorise. But therefore just to automatically place it in Mondeo-land on price and general size, or in a group with higher-performance ‘premium’ compacts on power and roughly also price, is just lazy and off the mark.

• Like 2

Great fun and absurdly fast is Auto Express verdict. Although they do add that all of this is unneccessary in a car of this type.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/superb/94387/skoda-superb-estate-280-2016-review

I guess the author just doen´t like a family car with a "sports engine" in it.

Great fun and absurdly fast is Auto Express verdict. Although they do add that all of this is unneccessary in a car of this type.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/skoda/superb/94387/skoda-superb-estate-280-2016-review

I guess the author just doen´t like a family car with a "sports engine" in it.

While the 276bhp engine is great fun and absurdly fast, it is largely unnecessary in a car of this type – which is where the 148bhp 2.0-litre diesel comes into its own. ....

I just don't think these people understand the demographic here .... If you buy one of these cars I think its unlikely you will be thinking you wish you had gone for the 148bhp diesel instead ...

• Like 1