The 280PS Thread

Seems its not just the owner of my car that has a drink problem....seems like the car has as well!

My wife uses the car for school trips and I use it for leisure so its probably not getting the chance to get the mpg up. I must admit its the only aspect of the car that has left me ever so slightly disappointed. Interesting to hear what others are getting.

I'll see how I get on over the next month and might speak to Skoda about it.

Does speed effect mpg?

:sun:

Seems its not just the owner of my car that has a drink problem....seems like the car has as well!

My wife uses the car for school trips and I use it for leisure so its probably not getting the chance to get the mpg up. I must admit its the only aspect of the car that has left me ever so slightly disappointed. Interesting to hear what others are getting.

I'll see how I get on over the next month and might speak to Skoda about it.

Does speed effect mpg?

:sun:

Not touched my average MPG for a few weeks and the car has mainly done 3 miles to and from work. I'll post later what it is..

Personally, I take fuel consumption with a pinch of salt.......I had a Mazda3 1.6 petrol a couple of years ago (0-60 in 12 secs) and with mixed driving I averaged 36mpg, then a year ago I had a M135i (6 cylinder 3 litre turbo) and 0-60 in 5 secs and doing exactly the same type of driving with the occasional blast,  I averaged just over 32mpg....which considering what it was, I was well chuffed with that!

I've got a voucher for 7p off a litre at Sainsbury's so my 1st tankful will be their Super Unleaded, after that I have both Shell and Tesco filling stations nearby so spoilt for choice really! :)

Lucky you, out here in the Dingy Dengie there's not much choice!

DC

• Like 1

Very early days (2), but I haven’t bettered mid-20s mpg yet, even though obviously not pushing it, on short but rural journeys. Longer trips – including Holland & Germany – are to come within the next couple of weeks, so I guess I’ll get a better picture then.

I wonder what the fuel consumption will be like while pulling the race trailer; with my previous diesels the effect was relatively minor. Oops. On the upside, it’s now the same fuel for tow and race vehicle, and there’s always a spare jerry can full of the stuff. :D 

First impressions vs. 190: 280 is so much quieter and smoother, which is really, really nice. The sound-track of that diesel just isn’t great. The diesel is very good from 0 mph (obviously), but then soon feels like it’s running out of puff – quite frustrating. It’ll be a (re-)learning process – after 20 years of diesel – with that behaviour turned on its head. The 280 clearly needs plenty of revs to do the business.

Very early days (2), but I haven’t bettered mid-20s mpg yet, even though obviously not pushing it, on short but rural journeys. Longer trips – including Holland & Germany – are to come within the next couple of weeks, so I guess I’ll get a better picture then.

I wonder what the fuel consumption will be like while pulling the race trailer; with my previous diesels the effect was relatively minor. Oops. On the upside, it’s now the same fuel for tow and race vehicle, and there’s always a spare jerry can full of the stuff. :D

First impressions vs. 190: 280 is so much quieter and smoother, which is really, really nice. The sound-track of that diesel just isn’t great. The diesel is very good from 0 mph (obviously), but then soon feels like it’s running out of puff – quite frustrating. It’ll be a (re-)learning process – after 20 years of diesel – with that behaviour turned on its head. The 280 clearly needs plenty of reavs to do the business.

Re. your last sentence, I'm surprised.

Our older, but less powerful 2.0 TSi's seem to work quite well from 12/1300 rpm upwards. The power & torque curves do build-up with the revs, but there seems (to us) to have plenty

of grunt anywhere in the rev range.

We mostly keep the DSG in "D" & use the paddles if we want to shift gears, either to go faster or slow down without braking.

In "S" mode & with wider throttle opening all hell breaks loose, car scoots, makes more noise, heads straight for the red-line &

burns more fuel, but we only go there if we are in the mood!

Your car well take some time too loosen off, the AWD system must use more fuel, (more transmission drag perhaps?)

& you just might be driving faster than us OAP's.

With luck we will get a 280 test-drive next week, perhaps we will decide what to buy next after that.

DC

First impressions vs. 190: 280 is so much quieter and smoother, which is really, really nice. The sound-track of that diesel just isn’t great. The diesel is very good from 0 mph (obviously), but then soon feels like it’s running out of puff – quite frustrating. It’ll be a (re-)learning process – after 20 years of diesel – with that behaviour turned on its head. The 280 clearly needs plenty of revs to do the business.

Yeah have to disagree with you Euro. Plenty of low down torque for me and it only gets better as the rpm climbs and believe me I've explored the rev range ;-)

Edited by Nick_H

Perceptions of performance are always relative, based on experience and expectation. Ultimately, I suppose the car will not feel that fast to me. It’s certainly sweet, though, and is bound to become sweeter, so it ticks a big box. And I was just so bored with diesel…

Mileage update: have made it past 30 on combined slowish A road and some motorway.

Perceptions of performance are always relative, based on experience and expectation. Ultimately, I suppose the car will not feel that fast to me. It’s certainly sweet, though, and is bound to become sweeter, so it ticks a big box. And I was just so bored with diesel…

Mileage update: have made it past 30 on combined slowish A road and some motorway.

Yeah they are relative lol !! Don't know what you're coming from but it certainly feels fast to me. That's coming from a 4litre TVR and a 5litre Cobra ! Were you coming from a 190 Euro ? Was it chipped ? I know that initial blast of torque from the dervs gives you a proper push in the seat ....

Mine's just over 200 miles from new, and a trip down the M1 today resulted in 31 displayed for a 120 mile journey down and back with a mix of 70 (ish) and 50mph sections. That's including being stuck for over an hour in a traffic jam on the way home and letting stop-start/ACC do it's thing.

My 7 mile trip to work (with less than 100 miles on the clock) has shown an average of 22MPG. The same route in my previous Mk II 170 DSG was a calculated 36.

I've not had to fill up yet so haven't determined how accurate the displayed MPG is.  Still, I didn't buy the 280 for economy even though it should improve as the engine beds in.

Reset the trip from my last post and the cars doing 25 mpg at the moment. As others have mentioned though you don't choose the 280 for economical motoring. 

I assume everyone has discovered the launch control setting.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

I assume everyone has discovered the launch control setting.  :thumbup:

You mean the "how quickly can I drain my fuel tank while being tossed from the driver's seat into the boot" setting?

• Like 2

Yes exactly! :happy:

Look in the handbook under launch control. Although it feels exciting and my kids love it, it does feel like its not doing the mechanicals much good! Mind you I don't suppose Skoda would include the feature if it caused damage...

I would highly recommend anyone with a 280 to try it at least once!

Can some one try this for me. Car in park with engine running. Stand outside and blip throttle with left foot.

Do you have an interesting little click from the rear exhaust area ? Almost sounds like a valve opening and closing ...

Can some one try this for me. Car in park with engine running. Stand outside and blip throttle with left foot.

Do you have an interesting little click from the rear exhaust area ? Almost sounds like a valve opening and closing ...

Interesting..............

Can you have A N Other to sit in car & blip it for you?

You could then position yourself closer to the noise.............

HTH, DC

An other is 10 so caution is advised lol ! I'll video it this after ....

Chock the wheels & remove their shoes, for greater sensitivity....

(I often feel that 'er indoors should drive barefoot, if only for my safety!0

DC

• Like 1

I once made the mistake of letting my best mates 5 year old cousin blip the throttle on my cobra. This ended with the engine seeing undiscovered rev ranges and me diving for the ignition keys ! No permanent damage done to the engine. Had me cracking open the Valium though ....

• Like 1

Hi Nick. Tried it, but didn't hear a thing other than the expected.

Alex.

I'll get on 'The Tube' later :-)

Get some good audio so I know what I'm listening for...

Edited by BillyJim
  • Like 1