Sat nav and bonnet chips

Hi

So, I have an Octavia 3 estate with the Amundsen sat nav. A few weeks ago I updated the sat nav via the update portal to the 2015/2016 edition. When I popped it back in the car, I noticed that on the Amundsen display, all the road names and numbers had gone (although the boxes and lines for them were still there, and haven't gone off the Maxidot when you programme in a destination.) I downloaded using a Macbook Air, but I have done this before with no problems. My immediate thought was that for some reason the download had ballsed up, so did it again, twice. Same result. I have contacted customer care with no joy so far. Anyone else experienced this.

Also, has anyone else noticed the 3 seems susceptible to stone chip damage on the front bonnet? I have 3 chips through to the primer in different places. They are quite minor, but I know they are there, and it bugs me! Our works Octavias also get them, but as they have a wrap livery on the bonnet, the paintwork stays intact.

Hmph...

Dave

Yes to the 2nd one. Mine arrived with stonechips on it and now the front bumper is peppered with them. Maybe the paint layer is thinner.

I have recently updated my satnav without any problems. First time i have done it.

Yes to the 2nd one. Mine arrived with stonechips on it and now the front bumper is peppered with them. Maybe the paint layer is thinner.

I have recently updated my satnav without any problems. First time i have done it.

tHink its because the paint clearcoat is hatd it chips easily

• 1 month later...

Im planning to buy this to prevent my hood from getting stone chips. A friend have this on his 2010 Avensis and his hood is almost flawless. It doesnt look supergood, but its still better than having lots of stone chips on the hood.

70_1825561490.jpg

Agree about the stone chips,

Normal routine when washing car, pre wash with snow, wash car, dry and then touch up stone chips.

No matter how slow I drive always have 2 or 3 chips to touch in - drives me mad

Im planning to buy this to prevent my hood from getting stone chips. A friend have this on his 2010 Avensis and his hood is almost flawless. It doesnt look supergood, but its still better than having lots of stone chips on the hood.

70_1825561490.jpg

They call them things Bonnet Bras in the UK.

I think those originated from the states. Over there they have these insects called love bugs and during mating season there are billions of them. They secrete an acidic cocktail and will etch the paint on your car when you hit them, eventually resulting in you car being eaten away to Tue metalwork.

• 2 months later...

Hi

So, I have an Octavia 3 estate with the Amundsen sat nav. A few weeks ago I updated the sat nav via the update portal to the 2015/2016 edition. When I popped it back in the car, I noticed that on the Amundsen display, all the road names and numbers had gone (although the boxes and lines for them were still there, and haven't gone off the Maxidot when you programme in a destination.) I downloaded using a Macbook Air, but I have done this before with no problems. My immediate thought was that for some reason the download had ballsed up, so did it again, twice. Same result. I have contacted customer care with no joy so far. Anyone else experienced this.

Also, has anyone else noticed the 3 seems susceptible to stone chip damage on the front bonnet? I have 3 chips through to the primer in different places. They are quite minor, but I know they are there, and it bugs me! Our works Octavias also get them, but as they have a wrap livery on the bonnet, the paintwork stays intact.

Hmph...

Dave

Ive not yet bothered updating the mapping on either of my cars (one is MIB1 the other MIB2) but gather the process is quite exact otherwise you can encounter problems. I really ought to do so on the Octavia as its nearly 2 years old :-S

As to stonechips, i think VAG paint..metallic and pearl particularly is quite brittle and susceptible to chipping. My month old MK7 GTD has a lovely four in a row set of chips from something flicking up at it...one through the clear coat the other three down to primer. V annoying given its only recently just clocked 2k miles and no chips elsewhere.

Still it happens....mines a company car and is going to be subjected to 4 years of 25/30k per year of mostly motorway miles so it'll be peppered come the end of it.

Has gone against the grain as Id like to touch them up but Im not shelling out on a touchup stick for it.

My Octavia is Candy White...has some stone chipping on the front as its done approaching 30k miles but the paint seems alot more hardy...think it probably helps that the primer is similar in colour underneath too.

Now thinking I probably should have gotten a reflex silver Golf rather than Carbon Grey (couldnt have Oryx...too expensie and not allowed solid paint).

Edited by pipsypreturns