Honda

gallego1968

Not had the 1200 myself, but got an 800vtec atm.

Spoke to a bike dealer about em though and he wouldnt touch them. Too difficult to sell, such a small market for them and the looks are marmite.

Apart from the looks though, i think itd be good fun. Should be plenty fast enough, restricted though i think?

They do a remap in america for em that cures the fuelling issue i think!

Comfortable, reasonably quick but no blackbird replacement which people had hoped for so that affected it's reputation. A good bike but so is a BMW K1300S or a ZZR1400.

As above, it depends what you want out of it.

Triumph Tiger Explorer?  I went to a Triumph Sprint GT from a VFR 800 and it was a brilliant bike with a 1050cc engine and now I am on the Explorer with it's humongous 1215cc.  It has a brilliant engine with masses of power and torque and is really sit up and beg.  Go for a demo ride and see what you think.  My only complaint is the finish on the nuts and bolts isn't brilliant but cleaning a bit more regular than me and it wouldn't be a problem.

I have never ridden the VFR1200 so cannot say what it is like.  For me it has never rocked my boat.  It isn't pretty (not that the Tiger is) and it just looks wrong somehow but that is to my eyes and I appreciate others see it differently.

Test rides if you can get them are the best way.  Triumph certainly are happy to let you out on a bike and I had both out for a day when I was buying.

What? A vfr?

Lol. Nothing plods if you ride it right, And a vfr1200's smaller brother certainly doesnt

I know what you mean, but some bike just want to go and some you have to whip and scream back at you

I know what you mean, but some bike just want to go and some you have to whip and scream back at you

Not ridden the 1200, but the 800 is plenty responsive enough, it does just want to go tbf.

Well mine does anyway lol.

• 3 weeks later...

I am looking for sit up and beg riding as i have ridden superbikes for a while and want something to suit my age

Sounds like you need a Z1000SX. Which coincidentally I just happen to be selling  :p

Seriously though, I got mine for the same reason. I wanted something more sat up but still quick and with decent handling. It's so much more relaxing to ride fast because you're sat comfortably and the low down grunt lets you be lazy with gears if you want to be. Alternatives are things like the Suzuki GSX-S1000F, or maybe the BMW S1000R if you add a screen. I don't think I'll ever go back to superbikes now. 

Sounds like you need a Z1000SX. Which coincidentally I just happen to be selling :p

Seriously though, I got mine for the same reason. I wanted something more sat up but still quick and with decent handling. It's so much more relaxing to ride fast because you're sat comfortably and the low down grunt lets you be lazy with gears if you want to be. Alternatives are things like the Suzuki GSX-S1000F, or maybe the BMW S1000R if you add a screen. I don't think I'll ever go back to superbikes now.

Im like that. Not really interested in full on sports bikes, rather have usable power at usable revs and be relatively comfy whilst im doing. Go as far as i like then.

Mates with full on sports bikes tend to big them up, but anything more than a 70 mile ride and they can barely walk.

• Like 1

Alternatives are things like the Suzuki GSX-S1000F, or maybe the BMW S1000R if you add a screen. I don't think I'll ever go back to superbikes now.

Early reports are favourable on the Suzuki, and it should be a great road bike, but it ain't pretty. Most new bikes leave me cold, but I do quite fancy an S1000R in white (without the extra electronics and stupid electronic suspension). Good job I can't afford one, cos I don't have the self restraint necessary to not get into trouble of one kind or another, lol.

That's Sportsbikes owners for you. Talking is all most of 'em are any good at though, lol...

Yup.

I live next to the Cat and Fiddle. Im sure you musta heard of it?

Quite often if you go over on a nice summers evening, theres a group of 600's and 1000's just racing between laybys.

Theres quite alot of sheep on that road, and the speed these bikers go is mad. Knee down, full lean, probsbly 80-90mph or more around blind bends.

I dont hang about on it, but they just ride soo much faster than they can see. Mind boggles.

Yeah, everyone's heard of the cat and fiddle. God knows why so many people bother with it, when it's so heavily policed, and such an average road.

Policing has dropped alot since the arrival of the average speed cameras.

But if you know the area, uou know half of them (on the bendy half) dont even work.

Also theres a farmer which puts diesel on the road regularly so he can kill a biker and claim a new fence around a field. Hes well known for it.

I dont enjoy rhe road anymore though. Theres soo much better roads around here. I usually drop down into the short cut if i do go over the Cat. Thats how uninterested i am in it :D

Policing has dropped alot since the arrival of the average speed cameras.

They really didn't think that through, did they, what with the possible detours rendering them unenforceable, lol. Have they sorted that since?

Average speed cameras are evil, and whoever invented them is going to hell.

They really didn't think that through, did they, what with the possible detours rendering them unenforceable, lol. Have they sorted that since?

Average speed cameras are evil, and whoever invented them is going to hell.

Nope. It was a retarded thing to do.

The cameras on that side dont work, they only work between Buxton and the cat and fiddle pub.

On the maccesfied side, the wires sre hanging down from the cameras and clearly not attached, and if you go over at night, they dont glow. The ones on the buxton side glow up red on the lenses

I never head down to the peak District. There's nice roads, but they're virtually all stupid 50 limits now, and from here you have to go through a load of crap roads to get down there. Better from here to head up into north Yorkshire (although that's heavily policed these days) and up into Cumbria.

• Like 1