500+mile tank range possible in Citigo?

Citigouk

I'm not even getting 400 miles to a tank now, too many roadworks around the town I live!!!

I only managed 428 from the first tank full. Was a bit annoyed until I realised it only took 33 litres to fill it up. so 58 mpg to start isn't too bad as its been nearly all town/short trips so far, furthest I've been on one trip is 15 miles :p

• 2 weeks later...

Dreadful journey in to work this morning in which I encountered a slow lorry, a tractor, red at every traffic light etc resulting in a 65 mile drop in range for just 23 miles covered. I'm still showing range + miles covered of over 500 but it is quite close now.

• Like 1

Over half a tank down and range + miles covered = 506. I reckon I need to see 320 miles for the first half of the tank (as indicated on the gauge) if I am going to reach 500 miles but it was spot on 300. It's going to be close!

IMG_6994_zpsdnfmzsti.jpg

How is your PID reporting on your quest for 500miles?

I'm not currently driving the citigo as im letting a family member use it, but if i went bit slower than the average speed over the tank i think its possible to beat 500miles on tank

just in case you do beat my record, im going to add we have 75bhp engine and auto gearbox which obviously puts us at disadvantage over the 60ps and manual  :D  :D  :D in terms of fuel economy

good luck!

Edited by Citigouk

Interesting. Those stats suggest a 9 gallon tank; I can only get 35 litres in mine (so a tad less than 8 gallons) which means I have to average around 64mpg to reach 500 miles on a tank.

As expected, the second 'half' of the tank sees range plummeting much faster than miles covered; range + miles covered now equals 486 despite seeing 70mpg on the 23 miles home this afternoon.

Probably a safety thing so you don't run the tank dry. I bet there is at least 50 miles left when it says it's empty. I remember a top gear where they were driving from main land Europe to Britain, they said in the Jag they were using there was 100 miles left in the tank when it said there was 0

The bottom 'half' of the tank is a lot smaller than the top, going by the fuel gauge at least. If I'm not showing at least 300 miles on the trip when the fuel gauge needle is pointing straight up, I know I've not done very well for fuel consumption on the tankful. As far as the fill ups go, I regularly get more than 40 litres in, but must admit I haven't managed to reach the heady heights of 43 litres. After the first click of the pump, I find I can still get a lot in - sometimes as much as 5 litres - if I trickle it in. I don't like doing that unless I'm immediately going on a long drive, but it shows that the capacity is there. I always find the 'miles remaining' on the PID wildly optimistic. The figure shown seems to drop at the ratio of about 2:1 (i.e. miles remaining drops around 2 miles for every 1 mile I cover) over the last 100 miles or so of a tank.

I've still not threatened the holy grail of 500 miles between fills, but have often had 460-480. I need to be in the right frame of mind though, as I know that all the fun is to be had with at least 3000rpm dialled up on the rev counter :devil: . It's such a sweet thing to THRASH! Way, way more fun to drive than my Yeti.

Edited by Citigopher
  • Like 1

So, real question here. I forced 35 litres in there today and I was on 1 mile remaining right in the red.

Surely the tanks are all the same size, how are people getting 40L + in there?

Edit: Oh and the PID seems to be the other way for me, stated 51.4mpg when it was actually 59.8.

Edited by OneFourSevenNine

Surely the whole point of these great cars is to see how FEW miles you get from a tankful.

This will be my aim for the next tank, purely in the interest of science!

This will be my aim for the next tank, purely in the interest of science!

Our ASG has always been able to take 40litres+ just when the fuel light goes on and shows range 40mile on display

So, real question here. I forced 35 litres in there today and I was on 1 mile remaining right in the red.

Surely the tanks are all the same size, how are people getting 40L + in there?

Edit: Oh and the PID seems to be the other way for me, stated 51.4mpg when it was actually 59.8.

Do you reset your trip when you fill up? This might be a long term average? Mine seemed to be over reading by 2 mpg. I've stopped recording my MPG, it's so cheap to run that the novelty has run out lol

Probably a safety thing so you don't run the tank dry. I bet there is at least 50 miles left when it says it's empty. I remember a top gear where they were driving from main land Europe to Britain, they said in the Jag they were using there was 100 miles left in the tank when it said there was 0

The handbook says that there's approx. 4 litres of fuel left in the tank when the warning light first comes on. That should be enough for a safe 25-30 miles without the risk of sucking air into the pump/lines.

Edited by Citigopher

Well I failed again. I refuelled this evening with 35 miles range left and 436 miles covered, so despite the very positive start I still failed by some margin. And I only managed to get 34.5 litres in!

On the positive side, the gloves are off for the next tank, to see how much driving 'enthusiastically' changes the average consumption. By enthusiastically I do not mean recklessly; there will still be times when I will be stuck in a queue of traffic doing 40-50 mph. But off roundabouts etc I will be giving it 'the beans'!

Edited by tweenster
  • Like 2

Do you reset your trip when you fill up? This might be a long term average? Mine seemed to be over reading by 2 mpg. I've stopped recording my MPG, it's so cheap to run that the novelty has run out lol

I thought I did, but made sure I did this time :p

Well the first few days of driving with less focus on economy has produced some interesting stats. Fuel economy has been in the high 50s/low 60s (as opposed to high 60s/occasional low 70s), journey time has decreased by a couple of minutes or so (over a 23 mile commute) so not really noticeable, but the enjoyment factor has increased significantly. What I have noticed is that if I try and drive along A roads at 60 instead of 50 I catch up those cars travelling at 50, so instead of being the guy at the front of the queue doing 50 I am one of many in the line of cars doing 50. Hey ho, such is the life of a commuter.