Auto wiper confusion, maybe inept user!

So, 3 weeks in since delivery of my 2016, 1300 miles on the clock, the car is almost perfect, only one rattle, when the rear seat centre armrest is down, over speed bumps, can't find any way to adjust either!

I know I'm going to get no sympathy for this, but I live in France and we haven't had one drop of rain since delivery. I have been waiting to check how the auto wipers perform.

So this morning, as normal I made my wife think I was completely mad, as I asked her to sit in the car whilst washing with engine on while I aimed the hose at the sensor, absolutely nothing!

I have read the manual a few times, but to no avail. There seems no way to switch them on, I have played with the adjustment rocker lever from small to large on top of the right hand stork, but to no avail. And yes, it is active in the car settings.

On my previous car a 5 series, they just worked when it rained, no buttons to turn on etc.

HELP!

Need to switch it on insettings in infotainment unit. And turn wiper arm to intermittent position

It's switched on in infotainment, but Intermittent setting, really? Won't that just make the wipers work intermittently all the time? In every car I have had before that's what intermittent did.

That's totally illogical!

Unless of course, the intermittent switch is overridden when the setting is on in infotainment effectively nullifying the standard intermittent functions.

Thanks for your help

Been tipping it down here for the last few days.

If the wipers worked every time a little moisture fell on the screen then think about winter, your wipers are frozen to the screen, snow hits the screen and melts, wiper sensor says its raining. Ohps wipers go into bend my linkage mode.

I leave my wipers in off position then when the first spot lands flick the stalk up one notch, I then find the sensor takes over and works fine, if you need to adjust the sweep rate use the small lever on the top of the stalk.

• Like 1

Think it's just a case of getting used to a different manufacturers functionality. I use hire cars most weeks for work and to be honest, the way the skoda's works is fairly common across other brands.

I leave mine on intermitant all the time. Work good Imo, much better than the old Mondeo I had before.

The only time Ive the system struggle a bit and done false wipes, was when the windscreen was covered with lots of dead bugs.

Just remember after the rain stops to return the stalk to the off position.

Quite a few times several hours after the rain has stopped something annoyed the sensor on a totally dry screen and the wipers start, scared me half to death  :D

Many manufacturers have the same. Its a cost save instead of having 2 wipers stalks with "INT" and "AUTO" on it.

When you have a rain sensor, the intermittant setting controls the sensitivity of the rain sensor.

I leave my setting in "INT/Auto" most of the time & I havent had any problems I can recall with it wiping when it shouldnt.

I'm much happier with this system than my previous Mondeo.

The main problem with auto wipers is in the winter when the spray from the car in front is also very dirty & the wipers smeer drying water across the screen.

I havent yet seen a system which is capable of clearing this automatically though.

But, is it only me and my MY15 or do I have to leave the wipers in "down" position when I turn off ignition, if not they are stopped in the position they had when turned off?

My car leaves the wipers where ever they are when you turn the ignition off. A bit naff really that they didn't program them to park when the ignition is turned off like my old Passat

I wish it would reset the wipers to off when the ignition is switched off. When I have the wipers on intermittent (with variable speed intermittent I rarely use continuous) I often forget to turn the wipers off, which means I get an unwanted wipe on a dry windscreen when I turn the ignition back on. This is what most older cars do - I haven't driven any recent models to compare.

• Like 1

My car leaves the wipers where ever they are when you turn the ignition off. A bit naff really that they didn't program them to park when the ignition is turned off like my old Passat

nooo, when I am fitting a screen cover in the winter to keep off frost and snow I use that feature to keep the wipers over the middle of the screen and keep the cover held in place

• Like 2

nooo, when I am fitting a screen cover in the winter to keep off frost and snow I use that feature to keep the wipers over the middle of the screen and keep the cover held in place

You can park  them up in maintenance mode by pulling the indicator stalk down (single wipe function) after turning the ignition off

• Like 1

Right not gone through all the posts so sorry if it's already been answered but

The auto wipers are not active unless you have gone over 12 mph when the car is turned on

You can over ride this by turning them off and sticking them back on intermittent

The reason for this is if you have a frost morning and are just starting to scrap the ice off the last thing you want is the wipers activating

Hope that's clear enough

• Like 1

Right not gone through all the posts so sorry if it's already been answered but

The auto wipers are not active unless you have gone over 12 mph when the car is turned on

You can over ride this by turning them off and sticking them back on intermittent

The reason for this is if you have a frost morning and are just starting to scrap the ice off the last thing you want is the wipers activating

Hope that's clear enough

That is quite smart.

On my Mondeo they did a swipe each time I started the car, so I couldnt leave them on Auto all the time like I can now.

• Like 1

That is quite smart.

On my Mondeo they did a swipe each time I started the car, so I couldnt leave them on Auto all the time like I can now.

Same for my Civic. You would be scraping the windscreen waiting for it to do a sweep.

Civic also did not have an "intermittent" setting, it was just marked as "Auto" which is what I always had it set as. Maybe that would make more sense as it would auto turn on only when there is rain. "intermittent implies that it is always" on" regardless of if there is rain or not.

Edited by Iamholam