S3 Winter wheel / brake sizes

Gizmo

Another quick question.

I've got a full sized unused spare wheel taken from my Mk II Octavia Estate 1.8 Tsi.  Wheel size is 61/2Jx16 ET50 with a tyre 205/55 R16.

Will this be OK to use as a spare for my new Superb Mk III Estate 150 Tdi with 17" wheels??

Sorry if this has been covered on previous postings but the more I read about ET etc the more confused I become.

Thanks in anticipation...

Just fitted the summer tyres and wheels back on.

I got a set of Rial Lugano 18" wheels, almost identical to the original Pegasus wheels but only 660 euros delivered.

Cimg4468.jpg

Cimg4469.jpg

centres are 60mm as opposed to 56mm so will have to get another set (already ordered £9.95 from ebay)

I got the wheels from Autojantes in France, less than a week for delivery, 

http://www.autojantes.com/fr/

Edited by philsmith
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Rims were ET43 and I fitted Continental Winter Contact TS 850 P 235/45 R18 98V

• Like 1

Just fitted the summer tyres and wheels back on.

I got a set of Rial Lugano 18" wheels, almost identical to the original Pegasus wheels but only 660 euros delivered.

Cimg4468.jpg

Cimg4469.jpg

centres are 60mm as opposed to 56mm so will have to get another set (already ordered £9.95 from ebay)

I got the wheels from Autojantes in France, less than a week for delivery, 

http://www.autojantes.com/fr/

Hi Phil,

Do these alloys use the same studs as the OEM rims or do they come with a different set?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is off-topic... For those who have driven Pegasus with anthracite finish (or similar alloys) in the winter, have you noticed if the finish is more prone to damage from the gravel/dirt trapped in the snow and road salt attack? 

• 2 months later...

Can someone please just confirm what size of 16 inch is correct and what will fit as reading through this whole thread there are somethings saying 6.5j and others saying 7j

Also what is the standard offset and what range will work (snow chains will not be used)?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

So ladies & gentlemen,

As winter is fast approaching, who of you have purchased your wheels & tyres from? By this I mean which UK websites and /or European online based sellers?

I remember someone saying they bought their set of winters on rims from a French site, and others from different German sites.

If so, at what cost comoared to UK, what were your experiences (speed of dispatch and quality of fitting etc), would you do it again and what pray was the name of your preferred sellers site?

I had a look at a few British sites and don't like the look of much of what they offer. From what I can see, the Superbs 7J 215/55/R17 tyre seems to be an odd size as the tyre brand selections offered were'nt big and mostly the cheaper Chinese tyes which I don't want.

Your thoughts and tips would be very much appreciated as winter is coming and I now live in a very hilly part of the southwest!

Edited by blahde2

So ladies & gentlemen,

As winter is fast approaching, who of you have purchased your wheels & tyres from? By this I mean which UK websites and /or European online based sellers?

I remember someone saying they bought their set of winters on rims from a French site, and others from different German sites.

If so, at what cost comoared to UK, what were your experiences (speed of dispatch and quality of fitting etc), would you do it again and what pray was the name of your preferred sellers site?

I had a look at a few British sites and don't like the look of much of what they offer. From what I can see, the Superbs 7J 215/55/R17 tyre seems to be an odd size as the tyre brand selections offered were'nt big and mostly the cheaper Chinese tyes which I don't want.

Your thoughts and tips would be very much appreciated as winter is coming and I now live in a very hilly part of the southwest!

Wheelbase Alloys in Oldham for me.

Looking at a few websites as we are driving to Austria, via Germany in February so need Winter tyres.

A good deal seems to be had at www.mrwinterwheels.co.uk. Quite happy with steel wheels.

post-46701-0-74515400-1472045952_thumb.jpg

They also do a set of 17" alloys but these use 17 x 8 alloys and 225/50 tyres, so I'm not sure if I could fit them

Edited by Q102

They also do a set of 17" alloys but these use 17 x 8 alloys and 225/50 tyres, so I'm not sure if I could fit them

Mine are 225/55/17” (on a 9” rim) and there are no problems with them.

• 3 weeks later...

It looks like I'll be looking at steelies and some fat tyres then. Mr winterwheels wouldn't let me add tyres to the steelie (which is annoying) but know the Continental winter tyres come in at around £125 each. Might try Nokian this time as their write ups are always good.

I know this thread is for winter wheels, but maybe you can help me out...

If anyone knows any online tool/calculator that can give all the possible (maybe even legal) options when all I feed into it is my current setup, I can probably find the answers myself! :-)

OK, so I have an 2017 L&K Estate 2.0 TDI 4x4 on order.

According to the first post in this thread, I expect it to be delivered with 235/40 R19 96W on 8”x19” ET44.

Since winter is approaching, and I still haven't gotten a confirmed production/delivery date (ordered on June 30), I am considering asking the dealer to have it delivered with 19" winter tires on the original 19" rims (I assume they will charge me extra and still have me accept the original summer tyres, which I can sell).

Then I'm thinking about 20" for next summer..!

The Superb is a "beefy" car when seen in profile, and I think that visually it would look good with 20" rims (no bling-bling, though).

So, the question is whether 20" rims and tyres will work on the car (obviously I need a low profile tyre) or if it will brush against anything (or be illegal) ?

I'm fully aware that people recommend higher profile/smaller rims and narrower tyres for winter driving, but I'm more interested in the technicalities...

Thanks,

Christopher

Oslo, Norway

If anyone knows any online tool/calculator that can give all the possible (maybe even legal) options when all I feed into it is my current setup, I can probably find the answers myself! :-)

According to the first post in this thread, I expect it to be delivered with 235/40 R19 96W on 8”x19” ET44.

Since winter is approaching, and I still haven't gotten a confirmed production/delivery date (ordered on June 30), I am considering asking the dealer to have it delivered with 19" winter tires on the original 19" rims (I assume they will charge me extra and still have me accept the original summer tyres, which I can sell).

The Superb is a "beefy" car when seen in profile, and I think that visually it would look good with 20" rims (no bling-bling, though).

So, the question is whether 20" rims and tyres will work on the car (obviously I need a low profile tyre) or if it will brush against anything (or be illegal) ?

I'm fully aware that people recommend higher profile/smaller rims and narrower tyres for winter driving, but I'm more interested in the technicalities...

Thanks,

Christopher

Oslo, Norway

I can't speak for Norway but in the UK anything above OEM spec rims will affect insurance problems.

According to the first post in this thread, I expect it to be delivered with 235/40 R19 96W on 8”x19” ET44.

Thanks,

Christopher

Oslo, Norway

With the right size tyre and wheel ofset there is no technical issue although it would be outside the range that skoda advise and as said in the UK it ahould be declared in the insurance.

They (skoda) could try and opt out of a suspension warranty claim perhaps? But you could always swap the wheels back.

Bet it would look great on 20's.

Look at www.rimstyle.co.uk and you can look at some 20" options with tyres

Hi,

I've been told by Skoda that my Superb Estate L&K, which has 18" wheels can either have 215/55 R17 94W on 6.5Jx17ET41 rims OR 215/60 R16 95V on 6.5Jx16ET41 rims.

I'm opting for the 17" wheels with Michelin Cross Climate tyres.

Any comments and advice would be appreciated.

Does anybody know what pressure should be used?

In Norway where it is a lot of ice and snow, my dealer did not recomend 16". Because the space between the wheel and breaks are too small. It get packed with snow.

When the snow hit the warm rim it melt and then freeses to ice. It get packed and the breaks will not work very good.

You will also get imbalance in the wheel.

In Norway where it is a lot of ice and snow, my dealer did not recomend 16". Because the space between the wheel and breaks are too small. It get packed with snow.

When the snow hit the warm rim it melt and then freeses to ice. It get packed and the breaks will not work very good.

You will also get imbalance in the wheel.

You learn something new everyday! Thanks for the tip good sir.... though it is a little more suited to your climate certainly, but here in the UK we 'shouldn't' experience any snow fall deep enough to cause that kind of build up!

My car runs on 19"s but I am looking to fit 16" steelies on for the winter. They might not look like much but they are cheaper to buy and tyre over the 18" alloys I want.

Now all I need to do is find the VAG part number for the appropriate steel wheel!

Edited by blahde2
  • Like 1