Cyclists and pedestrians

I know there has been much discussion about the interaction of cyclists and cars but I am now suffering a slightly different issue.

I have taken to a dailyish walk which covers mostly paved areas but includes a section of narrow pathway through a wooded area. The path is mostly very narrow, just enough to for a person to walk along at times the overgrown sides have nettles and such growing (about elbow height) close by such that if I am in a tee shirt it is a close call before getting stung. I have now had a variety of cyclists who use the path dinging their bells and wanting me to step aside so they can proceed. None of them want to dismount and wait for me to pass or want to dive into the grass/overgrown areas to pass when coming from behind.

Now if I was a driver behind a cyclist and I started to sound my horn how would they generally take that? I doubt it would be taken too well.

What is the protocol for this? Am I supposed to jump into nettles at the sight of a cyclist or just ignore them in the way they generally ignore cars? M

Check on an ordnance survey map to see if it is a bridleway. If not they shouldnt be cycling on it so tell em and carry on walking as normal. If it is a bridleway tell em you will move when you can without getting stung

• Like 2

I've no issue stepping aside if the area around is clear, although will hold off if I feel they are able to go around me. What I really object to is they come up behind dinging their bells. If I tried a similar thing with them when in my car I'm sure I would get some choice words shouted at me with accompanying gestures.

Just you Mike, just you. The only puzzle is how come they recognise you?

No, are at least two, it happens all the time to someone I know, strange that!

The advise from Sustrans is for a cyclist to alert a pedestrian that they are approaching by ringing a bell. Sustrans also advise that the cyclist should dismount as they pass pedestrians

I will ring my bell and follow up with a 'Good Morning' or 'Good Afternoon/Evening'.  Not everyone does though, the bell on its own can seem very rude & arrogant

• Like 2

I've no issue stepping aside if the area around is clear, although will hold off if I feel they are able to go around me. What I really object to is they come up behind dinging their bells. If I tried a similar thing with them when in my car I'm sure I would get some choice words shouted at me with accompanying gestures.

A bell is how cyclists are recommended to alert other people to their presence.

Can you really not see (or indeed hear) a difference between a little bell going Ding and a car horn?

• Like 1

I love the cyclists who won't cycle on cycle paths because they get held up crossing junctions. What about the hundreds of cars they hold up cycling on the road.....

I am one of them, I would rather cycle in the road than on most of the cycle paths in and around Sheffield. The so called cycle paths are a small amount of pavement with a bicycle painted on it, coupled with all the pedestrians who refuse to walk on their side of the pavement and block the cycle lane, where else is there togo?

This is the thing. 

Why can't people share the infrastructure without believing their method of transport trumps everyone else?

• Like 4

This is the thing. 

Why can't people share the infrastructure without believing their method of transport trumps everyone else?

I think it's because they are convinced that *they* are the most important person.

I'm a pedestrian, cyclist, biker and driver and very obviously I'll behave differently depending on how I'm travelling that day but I'm not superior because I picked one over the other.

• Like 4

I am one of them, I would rather cycle in the road than on most of the cycle paths in and around Sheffield. The so called cycle paths are a small amount of pavement with a bicycle painted on it, coupled with all the pedestrians who refuse to walk on their side of the pavement and block the cycle lane, where else is there togo?

So then you go onto the road and block cars lol

A few observations:

• Many cyclists either don't have a bell or choose not to use it. I walk a lot, locally and in Snowdonia, the Peak District and Lake District and quite frequently the first I know of a bike approaching from behind is the squeal of brakes.
  • It is depressing how frequently cyclists don't say "Thanks" when you step aside - much like drivers who can't be bother to  acknowledge it with a wave when you make way for them in a arrow road. Good manners cost nothing.
  • Local councils seem to think that cycle paths are just a question of "distance", they think nothing of having a cycle path (or cycle lane come to that) just disappear at points. I know of a major dual carriageway with a separate cycle path that appears and disappears at various points - forcing the cyclist to join a road with cars doing 70 MPH - absolutely criminal!

To my mind, ringing a bell and following up with a "Thanks" and/or a cheery "Good Morning / Afternoon / Evening" is never rude.

• Like 1

The bell is to let people know they are there, and yes, they are hoping you'll move to one side to let them pass safely.

As long as they are polite and aren't just trying to run you off the path I don't see the problem here.

As car drivers, we would like slow moving tractors to pull over and let us pass (as the Highway Code says they should) so how is this any different?

I cycle on canal tow paths and often meet pedestrians. I'll slow down not to surprise or pressure them, and then pass when they move aside or its wide enough to do so. We exchange a few words to say hello and thanks, and both go on our way having had a friendly interaction with another person.

How many people sit behind tractors honking their horn until the tractor moves over?

• Like 1

This is the thing. 

yep, I find the cycle paths so rutted and unfit for purpose that for my own safety I have to ride in the road!!
  • Like 1

yep, I find the cycle paths so rutted and unfit for purpose that for my own safety I have to ride in the road!!

The only cycle lanes on my route to work are covered in parked cars so you'd be swerving in and out of traffic every twenty metres.

It's far safer to hold a consistent line and ignore the cycle lane.

There aren't any dedicated cycle paths that go anywhere near where I do.

Glad to see you are returning to Brisky Gary :thumbup: . It's been very quiet on here without you

Matthew

• Like 1

Well I have only gone and ordered one of those Octy vrs for the wife, I've told her she will have to park it away from the house though ;) maybe she should cycle to her new car every morning!!!!

Edited by oilburninnut
  • Like 2