Anyone else uninstalled Windows 10?

Sheldon.Cooper

TOR was never really secure. It was invented by the US navy after all. Nice idea to make a security tool all your enemies use. Keeps them in one place. There have been some successful attacks on Tor recently plus just using it makes your traffic a bit more interesting to GCHQ.

The only real concern is Wifi Sense, so that I have disabled whilst all the rest remain fully active.

What I haven't been able to decide is if it is Wifi Sense or the shared live login I use, but it is handy not to have to re-enter network details across all my devices - even more so the (rather pointless hidden) wifi network at work.

I still cannot do anything with Firefox.  I have removed it and done a fresh install but it cannot be that fresh as it remembers all my bookmarks.  Everytime I load it the screen flashes on and off and there is a warning about the graphics driver stopping and restarting and then it locks up completely.

Edge is flakey on here as it won't let me use the quote and there is no spell checker.  Other than that it seems OK but if I cannot use Firefox I think I shall revert to Chrome.  In the past IE has always been a PITA with another forum I use so dumped it many moons ago.  Other than that Windows 10 seems fine by me.

I still cannot do anything with Firefox.  I have removed it and done a fresh install but it cannot be that fresh as it remembers all my bookmarks.  Everytime I load it the screen flashes on and off and there is a warning about the graphics driver stopping and restarting and then it locks up completely.

Edge is flakey on here as it won't let me use the quote and there is no spell checker.  Other than that it seems OK but if I cannot use Firefox I think I shall revert to Chrome.  In the past IE has always been a PITA with another forum I use so dumped it many moons ago.  Other than that Windows 10 seems fine by me.

You can always type Regedit into star bar and then look in Hkey local machine for any reference to Mozilla firefox (should be a guide if you google)

Although editing the registry isn't something to undertake lightly. That said its probably worth a go as your on a fresh Win10 install so you could always go back to previous ops system which will rebuild the registry.

However I think your issue is more likely to do with your graphics drivers. Firefox is probably using a dll that's not happy or something. In which case even if you get a clean Firefox install its unlikely to fix the issue.

I think that is a little too much for me to be honest scribbler but thanks anyway.  It was never a problem with 7 and no ohter programme is with 10 so I shall leave it for now and have snoop about and se what else I can find on the subject and carry on with what I ahve for the moment.

• Administrators

Ideally you should be upgrading so your key can activate Win10 and then do a complete fresh install of Windows 10. I'd never recommend an upgrade, always a fresh installation.

Just did my 4th upgrade . Windows worked but it's lost the embedded activation key and won't accept it when I try to activate. There's no option to roll back to Windows 8 either

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

doesn't seem to exist any more

I am in the exact same situation with a friends ASUS Laptop. They upgraded to Win10 successfully but it was slow and a few things didn't work but it was activated ok. So I did a reset from the boot iso and it failed for some reason. So I formatted the drive and successfully got Windows 10 installed but it keeps prompting for Product Key which obviously we don't have so I have skipped this prompt but now it wont activate with the activation servers as it should.

Cheers, think it is well and truly knackered. Will have to format the drive, reinstall win 8 and then upgrade all over again. It's my wife's PC, tempted just to go and get a chromebook TBH!

Cheers, think it is well and truly knackered. Will have to format the drive, reinstall win 8 and then upgrade all over again. It's my wife's PC, tempted just to go and get a chromebook TBH!

Don't be too hastey , My friends is now registered must have been a busy/slow registration server didn't have to do anything just a few updates installed when I checked again it said registered.

Don't be too hastey , My friends is now registered must have been a busy/slow registration server didn't have to do anything just a few updates installed when I checked again it said registered.

one tweet and Microsoft rang me with a fresh install key 

the power of twitter

• Like 3

Well I installed Windows 10 expecting all sorts of drama, nothing, all is well. Infact it's the easiest thing I done on installs.

My computer didn't have my notification in the taskbar at first so I downloaded most of the updates and after a few days I got the sign. Having done a good deal of research before going ahead I did the upgrade from Win 7. Only thing I waiting for is the email to stop working, seems folk are having trouble I've read on that, stopping after a week or so, we'll see.

Next thing, I may try is a complete fresh install of it as that is what's recommended from the info I've gathered.

I'm a complete technomuppet, and having tried to download W10 from W7 my 6yr old desktop threw major industrial action. After a nearly 2 weeks of it sulking, being lazy, and refusing any treatment for its condition I'm now finding my way around the iMac I bought today. Once I have emptied Mr HP Desktop of everything I want I'm taking an angle grinder to him. No passengers on this ship buddy!

• Administrators

Little more information from Microsoft on activation.

If you used Windows 10 free upgrade option, you won’t get a unique product key. Your license will be tied to the hardware you upgraded Windows 10 on, not your Microsoft account. Clean installs will activate automatically as long as they are done on the same hardware.

If you upgraded your PC to Windows 10 from a genuine copy of either Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 7, your license will be tied to the hardware you upgrade on, not your Microsoft account, and you won’t get any new product key either. You can verify this using any third-party product key fetching software like ProduKey or The Ultimate PID Checker. They will show you generic product keys like TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 for Windows 10 Home and VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T for Windows 10 Pro edition.

So what if you want to clean install Windows 10 on the same machine? Yes you can do that by downloading an ISO file, turning it into a USB drive or DVD media and then running the setup for clean install. During install, when Windows setup asks you for product key, simply skip the step and let it complete the installation. Once Windows 10 clean install is complete, your copy of Windows will activate automatically as soon as you connect to Internet. This is because Microsoft knows you clean installed on the same hardware. You can always check your activation status from either Settings (WinKey+I) > Update & security > Activation.

Interesting. That would explain why it worked for me even though when I did the clean install after upgrading I skipped typing in the product key and yet it all activated fine.

Going over to my mums later to upgrade her netbook to Windows 10.

Phil

Little more information from Microsoft on activation.

If you used Windows 10 free upgrade option, you won’t get a unique product key. Your license will be tied to the hardware you upgraded Windows 10 on, not your Microsoft account. Clean installs will activate automatically as long as they are done on the same hardware.

If you upgraded your PC to Windows 10 from a genuine copy of either Windows 8/8.1 or Windows 7, your license will be tied to the hardware you upgrade on, not your Microsoft account, and you won’t get any new product key either. You can verify this using any third-party product key fetching software like ProduKey or The Ultimate PID Checker. They will show you generic product keys like TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 for Windows 10 Home and VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T for Windows 10 Pro edition.

So what if you want to clean install Windows 10 on the same machine? Yes you can do that by downloading an ISO file, turning it into a USB drive or DVD media and then running the setup for clean install. During install, when Windows setup asks you for product key, simply skip the step and let it complete the installation. Once Windows 10 clean install is complete, your copy of Windows will activate automatically as soon as you connect to Internet. This is because Microsoft knows you clean installed on the same hardware. You can always check your activation status from either Settings (WinKey+I) > Update & security > Activation.

So what are the implications if I press that "change product key" button, and why would I want to, just curious?  BTW it says my Win 10 is activated, I've installed it of course.

• Administrators

So what are the implications if I press that "change product key" button, and why would I want to, just curious?  BTW it says my Win 10 is activated, I've installed it of course.

Maybe change the key to have the pro version of windows? Other than that I can't see why you'd do it.

Stop complaining it's free. And free is good [emoji106]

nothing is free, ever.

It's just harder to see how you're paying sometimes.

• Like 2