Little balls of dirt everywhere

Gaz

Well it's obviously seasonal, coz here they come again, pretty much a year later:

IMG_2730_zpsjz3sxau4.jpg

IMG_2727_zpshyci3srx.jpg

IMG_2726_zpskg1z6gbf.jpg

IMG_2725_zpsa49fzlat.jpg

IMG_2723_zpsn0eytfce.jpg

My neighbour says his van has a lot on, while parked at Gatwick (about 40 miles away).

What I have noticed is the waspsies are really interested in the scots pine at the end of my garden and are gnawing the featherboards on my fence.  Could be linked I suppose.

Gaz

I notice the car windows look quite dirty/dusty in the photos, is this normal, or something found after rain??

We do sometimes get dust that comes from the Sahara, it can get clumped and turned into mud by rain clouds, and dropped thousands of miles away from where it was picked up.

I notice the car windows look quite dirty/dusty in the photos, is this normal, or something found after rain??

We do sometimes get dust that comes from the Sahara, it can get clumped and turned into mud by rain clouds, and dropped thousands of miles away from where it was picked up.

It's black paint Ian, but yes, it's coming from dirty rain.

My son's got it on his car too and he works 20 miles away in Buxted.  He's just suggested the same as you - mud/sand in the clouds, clumping and then dropping as little pellets of mud.  Sounds quite plausible.

Gaz

It's black paint Ian, but yes, it's coming from dirty rain.

My son's got it on his car too and he works 20 miles away in Buxted.  He's just suggested the same as you - mud/sand in the clouds, clumping and then dropping as little pellets of mud.  Sounds quite plausible.

Gaz

I went out and looked at my car earlier, it is similarly covered in a dirty film that wasnt there last night.

It could be worse, about 35 years ago, EVERYTHING within miles of where I was living got covered in dirty cooling oil after the local electricity substation exploded; try getting THAT out of your washing, walls, pavements, paintwork.....  Luckily it blended well with the paintwork on the crappy old Renault I was driving, but my neighbours pristine white Ford...... . :peek:

Pi55ed any neighbours off recently? :think:

Neighbours with a gentle nature and not a lot of imagination, but lots of time on their hands, Lol.

• 11 months later...
On 8/14/2016 at 16:01, gadgetman said:

Annual meteor shower?

I reckon you've hit the nail on the head GM, it could be the Perseids as Mac pointed out.  A year later and they're here again.

Too much of a coincidence.  Possibly meteor dust coagulating in moisture and then falling in little pellets.

Fascinating :cool:

Gaz

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Just starting again - first one arrived overnight.  I'm obviously still fascinated by it's annual arrival.  Definitely going with the idea it's meteor dust 😎

IMG_1756.jpg

Gaz

Edited by V6TDI

10 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Ooooo bout a month earlier than most of the other years?

Unless it was me being a bit slow off the mark previously.

interestingly, I now sleep in the back bedroom of our house, and like drifting off to sleep looking at the night sky. I’ve noticed a few meteorites over the last couple of nights - more than usual anyway.

Gaz

• Like 1

If it was meteor dust would it not cover the whole country?

Could it be farmers chucking something up? Muck spreader stuff drying and being picked up by the wind?

22 hours ago, Aspman said:

If it was meteor dust would it not cover the whole country?

What, like bird poo?

It’s stardust 😎

Stop being so logical. I don’t want it to be farm muck :thinking:

Gaz

Edited by 132
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, 132 said:

Stop being so logical. I don’t want it to be farm muck :thinking:

Gas

Fair point.

It's dragon **** or possibly the mummified remains of General Flaaarg XV of Utstation 4 who was buried in orbit with full honors following an unfortunate accident in the workplace during a fire drill caused by his decision to wear sandals that day. Due to a mistake on the paperwork he was not put in the reentry proof coffin at the time of his interment but rather was buried in a paper recycling sack found at the bottom of the stationery cupboard. Every year on the anniversary of his burial the sack grazes the Earth's atmosphere releasing a little bit of Flaaarg XV which decends as an ashy residue landing on cars in the South of England.

Some say this ash when dissolved into 1 part Absinth, 2 parts Bourbon forms the true elixir of youth, other say it makes for epic beer goggles; however this remains unproven.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Aspman said:

It's dragon **** or possibly the mummified remains of General Flaaarg XV of Utstation 4 who was buried in orbit with full honors following an unfortunate accident in the workplace during a fire drill caused by his decision to wear sandals that day. Due to a mistake on the paperwork he was not put in the reentry proof coffin at the time of his interment but rather was buried in a paper recycling sack found at the bottom of the stationery cupboard. Every year on the anniversary of his burial the sack grazes the Earth's atmosphere releasing a little bit of Flaaarg XV which decends as an ashy residue landing on cars in the South of England.

Some say this ash when dissolved into 1 part Absinth, 2 parts Bourbon forms the true elixir of youth, other say it makes for epic beer goggles; however this remains unproven.

That's more like it!! 😁👍

I can accept it being extra terrestrial sandal powder.  Dry muck spreaded farm stuff in the wind; whatever next!

Gaz

• 2 years later...

Well I'll be - it's that time of year again:

DF7CAA85-3AD3-4361-94FC-DFFC3E3F4FCF.jpeg

A6D1507F-6260-48B4-AC0E-D54D9EDA270B.jpeg

700E178C-6D80-488E-8A6D-D721ED268A66.jpeg

I'm getting to the point of expecting them, like the first Swallows of Spring.

Gaz 

Edited by Gaz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Gaz 

Peak of the Perseids last night into this morning. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Gaz said:

DF7CAA85-3AD3-4361-94FC-DFFC3E3F4FCF.jpeg

Gaz 

Looks like a Gold nugget to me... 😄

I really should get my eyes tested

2 hours ago, olduns said:

Looks like a Gold nugget to me... 😄

I really should get my eyes tested

wish theyd come and get stuck to my car every year if they were!

Got a dozen on my car overnight and seven on Sally's car B)

They're obviously moist as they land as they are dead flat where they've landed, but are rough elsewhere - don't come down as a smooth round ball.

Gaz