World Super Bikes & Super SPort 300 series

lol-lol

18 hours ago, john2017 said:

I think I am going to try and test ride the duke 390 as I saw some good reports from missenden flyer on youtube - really good motorcycle reviews!!!!

The 390 is the most track and racing focused of the 300/350/400 cc bikes and some testers, with more of a race track bias preferred the 390.

I have not ridden one so do know how I would find it.  Surprised that have not seen them in the World Super Sport 300 series when they are eligible.  The R3 has been the bike of choice for that series with a smattering of CB500s, who have to carry a weight penalty, and a few Kawasaki 300 Ninjas.

I occasionally do rides of a couple of hundred miles so the R3 suits me well as it is very comfortable, smooth and torquey ie easy and pleasant to ride on a longer run and now I have taken 3 teeth off the back spocket, and it still pulls 6th easily, it is even more so, even with the Delkavic slip on.

Needs it Cat removing to fully get a rorty worble which I will probably do in the next few weeks if the research suggests it is.  Only got 105 out of mine so far but I am a tall, big bloke and tucking behind the fairing is harder, especially being somewhat older than my bendy teenage years.  

My R3 is easily doing an indicated over 60 mpg even with thrash sessions included which gives me a range of almost 200 miles.

Edited by lol-lol

3 hours ago, lol-lol said:

The 390 is the most track and racing focused of the 300/350/400 cc bikes and some testers, with more of a race track bias preferred the 390.

You're probably referring to the RC390 rather than the Duke 390, which whilst sharing a lot of components they result in different bikes in the same way a MT10 (Duke) differs from an R1 (RC). I've ridden the bigger Dukes 690 and 990, yet to get my paws on the 1290, and they've all been a lot fun. Only ever had a short spin on an RC1190 and didn't enjoy it but then I'm not into sports bikes either.

On 8/9/2017 at 13:26, CWARD said:

You can do it that way too and then set the default value in the map. Used to do it that way with TuneECU but not possible with the ECU on the new bike. Hilltop Motorcycles that'll be taking mine to will do the map either way but prefer to keep them in as they quote

I live quite near to Hilltop so if you want a coffee etc. pm me.

John, might just do that but I think the remap is on hold for this year as I won't be able to sneak the cost past the wife after just having new tyres on the bike and I've still got the pads to do. Hard to argue a remap against a weekend away, although she can get a new outfit for that same break :sadsmile:

What bikes have you ridden so far in your quest for your pocket rocket?

2 hours ago, CWARD said:

John, might just do that but I think the remap is on hold for this year as I won't be able to sneak the cost past the wife after just having new tyres on the bike and I've still got the pads to do. Hard to argue a remap against a weekend away, although she can get a new outfit for that same break :sadsmile:

What bikes have you ridden so far in your quest for your pocket rocket?

I haven't ridden anything yet - still got to dig my helmet out of the loft :sadsmile:.

It's got to be done in the autumn with the view to the something in the winter.

I notice the 2017 duke 390 has the cat and exhaust re-routed from underneath to the side of the bike - I thing the Indian motorcyclists have had problems - you get a lot of reviews on the duke and rc 390 from India where it seems as though they view it as a superbike. They are not adverse to tuning them in a power commander style method.

India don't really have the big capacity bikes like we have in Europe so based on performance against a Royal Enfield it really is in Superbike realms. 

I would imagine the exhaust routing will have something to do with meeting Euro 4 emissions. Luckily it always very easy to remove any such hindrances from a KTM with relative ease. Catalyst's however need to cut out and welded up again or replace the header pipe. The cost of Power Commanders over here is a bit on the steep side and you would get better results and cheaper with a custom remap, which is lucky for you having Hilltop on your doorstep.

The 2017 Duke 390 really looks the part like a scaled down SuperDuke. Not sure which I like most, the white or orange colour schemes.

You need to get up in the loft and get that helmet out, get your test rides done then wait for the offers at the end of the season.

3 hours ago, john2017 said:

I haven't ridden anything yet - still got to dig my helmet out of the loft :sadsmile:.

It's got to be done in the autumn with the view to the something in the winter.

I notice the 2017 duke 390 has the cat and exhaust re-routed from underneath to the side of the bike - I thing the Indian motorcyclists have had problems - you get a lot of reviews on the duke and rc 390 from India where it seems as though they view it as a superbike. They are not adverse to tuning them in a power commander style method.

In case you have not seen this one.....

New, 2017,  Duke 390 has gained about 10 kgs in weight (so does not need a restrictor kit to make in A2 compliant).  Now has a proper sized tank, better display and suspension.  Bit more torque to offset higher weight.  Torque and weight both up around 7%.     

I haven't ridden any of the tiddlers this discussion has centered on I returned to biking with Moto3.5 aprilia which was fun then got a very fine and proper bike a Triumph Street Triple 675 2008 model which I have kept reminiscent of the RD3550LC and terrific in every way. Try one :biggrin:

29 minutes ago, JCP said:

I haven't ridden any of the tiddlers this discussion has centered on I returned to biking with Moto3.5 aprilia which was fun then got a very fine and proper bike a Triumph Street Triple 675 2008 model which I have kept reminiscent of the RD3550LC and terrific in every way. Try one :biggrin:

I guess it depends on your riding style, I really prefer small and nimble with less but adequate power!

58 minutes ago, JCP said:

Would not want a naked bike again, did the FZ6 thing which is similar to the Street Triple and found it a pain compared to fairinged bikes on any journey over 10 miles or so.

Fuel consumption and running cost were half and double respectively compared to these 350s and the difference between 0-60 in 5 seconds to 4 seconds, and the comfort, or lack of it, are factors I do not miss.

For four stroke triples it would have to be the MT09 which I had on test for a while I found a delight and the Tracer version great both round town and out on the A roads and motorways.   

17 hours ago, lol-lol said:

Would not want a naked bike again, did the FZ6 thing which is similar to the Street Triple and found it a pain compared to fairinged bikes on any journey over 10 miles or so.

Fuel consumption and running cost were half and double respectively compared to these 350s and the difference between 0-60 in 5 seconds to 4 seconds, and the comfort, or lack of it, are factors I do not miss.

For four stroke triples it would have to be the MT09 which I had on test for a while I found a delight and the Tracer version great both round town and out on the A roads and motorways.   

I think you can  get a fly/ sports screen for the duke which should cut down on the buffeting.

Do you use your mt09 for commuting?

55 minutes ago, john2017 said:

I think you can  get a fly/ sports screen for the duke which should cut down on the buffeting.

Do you use your mt09 for commuting?

It was just a loan bike whilst my SV650S was being serviced if I remember correctly.

Just found the whole experience awesome, much nicer than the MT07 which i found a bit unimpressive.

MT09 was particularly scary when two up as it seem to make the front end go quite light as first was peaking and tailing off approaching 60 mph which was a little disconcerting.  I can well believe the sub 3 second 0-60 mph and sub 11 second standing quarter, very impressive, but scary.

Considering all factors I chose to go for the R3 rather than any of the MTs as the riding position of the R3 was as comfortable as the MTs, surprisingly, but it has the fairing and the styling I preferred plus the incredibly low running cost and I am intending to spend a few hundred quid on it making it more individual and see what comes out from the proddy racing bin of parts now we have a world series, as well as several national series for these 350s.

I speak to Triumph motorcycles HQ sometimes and I wish them well with the leap in to Moto2 with their engines and hope it does well.    

Edited by lol-lol

Tracer 900 does get very light on the front under hard acceleration. Especially off the line.. but tbh most the time i just leave the Anti-Wheelie on and let it sort itself, it doesn't let it come up too far. It will come up in 2nd and sometimes 3rd aswel. 

Nothin like the litre naked bikes though.. the Ape used to come up all the time and you did have to think about it more on that. 

I like it though.. adds to the fun. 

Hi,

I can see the sense in some electronic aids such as abs - when it comes to rider modes, anti-wheelie control isn't the motorcycle taking away some of the riding experience?

Isn't the anti wheelie control adjusting the throttle and cutting power (and other parameters) which is what the right hand should be doing. Surely it would be less risky to just get a bike that has smaller chance of wheelie'ing i.e. with less power

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, john2017 said:

Hi,

I can see the sense in some electronic aids such as abs - when it comes to rider modes, anti-wheelie control isn't the motorcycle taking away some of the riding experience?

Isn't the anti wheelie control adjusting the throttle and cutting power (and other parameters) which is what the right hand should be doing. Surely it would be less risky to just get a bike that has smaller chance of wheelie'ing i.e. with less power

Hey. 

Just uses the traction control to keep the front wheel at a reasonable height from the ground. It does still come up abit. 

You can turn it off too if you don't like it or just fancy a proper play, which i do occasionally. Its just easier in a sense. I've been there with the Tuono constantly thinking about the front wheel coming up... how much its going to come up, how much i can get away with at any given moment etc etc. The anti wheelie on the Tracer just makes it easy for when you just want to get a move on and make progress without all the rest of it. 

Nah, cos then you lose power in other respects too. The Tracer will come out of a roundabout in 5th gear at 25mph, open up and overtake everything. Or 6th gear at motorway speeds, open up and get past somethin pretty pronto.  You dont get that kind of flexibility with smaller engines, you're always mashing the box trying to prepare the engine. 

Thats my take on it anyway lol. 

1 hour ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Hey. 

Just uses the traction control to keep the front wheel at a reasonable height from the ground. It does still come up abit. 

You can turn it off too if you don't like it or just fancy a proper play, which i do occasionally. Its just easier in a sense. I've been there with the Tuono constantly thinking about the front wheel coming up... how much its going to come up, how much i can get away with at any given moment etc etc. The anti wheelie on the Tracer just makes it easy for when you just want to get a move on and make progress without all the rest of it. 

Nah, cos then you lose power in other respects too. The Tracer will come out of a roundabout in 5th gear at 25mph, open up and overtake everything. Or 6th gear at motorway speeds, open up and get past somethin pretty pronto.  You dont get that kind of flexibility with smaller engines, you're always mashing the box trying to prepare the engine. 

Thats my take on it anyway lol. 

...and I respect your opinion.

I think it's something to do with my 1st motorcycle being a 4.8 bhp suzie ap50 moped and trying to get the most out of the bike in every gear - that bike really taught me something about motorcycling.

Just now, john2017 said:

...and I respect your opinion.

I think it's something to do with my 1st motorcycle being a 4.8 bhp suzie ap50 moped and trying to get the most out of the bike in every gear - that bike really taught me something about motorcycling.

Yeah thats always fun :D   I had a CG125 and i had more fun getting the last bits of power and suspension performance from that than anything since. 

However. Id be bored ****less if i went back to it now :D 

its all fun for different reasons i guess isnt it (: 

CB200 my first bike.   20 hp I think.  

Then got the two stoke bug.  A half dozen T/GT 250, lots of tuning bit, then a GT380 and then a Kawasaki H1F.  

Then 4 stokes, lots of XJs 550/600s, CB900, TR1, ER5, FZ6S2, SV650S now the R3.  

Image result for CB200

@john2017  I wasn't the biggest fan of electronics on bikes but have since changed my mind. First had it on a Honda XL1000V Varadero, big and heavy bike but great for clocking up the miles. It had ABS with combined braking, never got in the way of riding and you basically forget about them but coming back through Netherlands and the van that was passing us had a blow out. The driver went straight the hard shoulder cutting straight in front of us. I grabbed a  hard hand full of the front brake which should have locked the front up and the van would have it us instead I just needed new underwear and had to calm down my hysterical wife. 

The current KTM has a lot more going on with the electronics from engine maps, suspension, quick shifter, traction control and of course ABS. Again it doesn't get in the way of the joy of riding, if anything it enhances it. Earlier on the throttle, later on the brakes and perfectly composed. If I want to lift the front it will allow me up to about a foot before it decides to take action, even then you keep the wheel up so long as your accelerating but it won't come up any higher. Turn off the traction control and it's fun to ride but I'm not sure it's any faster just more aggressive in its delivery. Even when I've had the electronics come on it's not been noticeable and without the flashinf light on the clocks I'd not notice. 

As for the AP50 I'm much too young for one of them. I had the C50 all the way up to monster powerless C90 but yes it was still the same wringing every last bit of speed out them and no doubt, like you will have done, the Superman which gave at least another 5mph. 

R3 ruling the roost......

Image result for alfonso coppola at portimao  

http://resources.worldsbk.com/files/results/2017/POR/SSP300/L1A/ALL/AllPdfs.pdf?version=229fff76063372b4eee46959b0f396a9

No.        Rider      Nat Team                                                      Bike Gap Rel. Laps Avg Speed Time      Max

1 41 M. GARCIA      ESP Halcourier Racing                             Yamaha YZF-R3 2'01.883 13 135,632 180,0

2 25 B. SÁNCHEZ   ESP Halcourier Racing                             Yamaha YZF-R3 2'02.033 0.150 0.150 13 135,465 181,5

3 33 D. VALLE         ESP Halcourier Racing                             Yamaha YZF-R3 2'02.063 0.180 0.030 13 135,432 177,6

4 75 S. DEROUE     NED MTM HS Kawasaki                            Kawasaki Ninja 300 2'02.273 0.390 0.210 12 135,199 189,8

5 87 A. LICCIARDI   BEL Team Trasimeno                               Yamaha YZF-R3 2'02.541 0.658 0.268 13 134,903 179,4

6 99 P. GRASSIA      ITA 3ENNE#Racing                                   Honda CBR500R 2'02.721 0.838 0.180 11 134,706 181,2

7 28 P. GIACOMINI  ITA Terra e Moto                                      Yamaha YZF-R3 2'02.832 0.949 0.111 12 134,584 180,3

8 6 R. SCHOTMAN  NED GRT Yamaha WorldSSP300 Team Yamaha YZF-R3 2'02.853 0.970 0.021 13 134,561 177,3

9 15 A. COPPOLA    ITA SK Racing Yamaha                             YZF-R3 2'02.871 0.988 0.018 13 134,541 185,2

10 88 M. PEREZ      ESP WILSport Racedays                            Honda CBR500R 2'03.053 1.170 0.182 12 134,342 184,0

Well done Alfonso (and Ana getting 3rd of the grid)...

image.jpeg.c25163ae07495489b0f7af9e6bbae57f.jpeg

Portuguese Round, 15-16-17 September 2017 116/07   - Grid............................

No. Rider Nat Team                                     Bike Gap Rel. Laps Avg Speed Time Max

1 15 A. COPPOLA ITA SK Racing                                             Yamaha YZF-R3 2'00.128 6 137,613 184,6

2 41 M. GARCIA ESP Halcourier Racing                                 Yamaha YZF-R3 2'00.162 0.034 0.034 5 137,574 184,0

3 2 A. CARRASCO ESP ETG Racing                                           Kawasaki Ninja 300 2'00.612 0.484 0.450 5 137,061 183,1

4 6 R. SCHOTMAN NED GRT                                                      Yamaha WorldSSP300 Team Yamaha YZF-R3 2'00.980 0.852 0.368 6 136,644 182,7

5 25 B. SÁNCHEZ ESP Halcourier Racing                                 Yamaha YZF-R3 2'01.136 1.008 0.156 6 136,468 179,4

6 75 S. DEROUE NED MTM HS Kawasaki                                 Kawasaki Ninja 300 2'01.370 1.242 0.234 6 136,205 180,9

7 99 P. GRASSIA ITA 3ENNE#Racing - Chiodo Moto              Honda CBR500R 2'01.445 1.317 0.075 6 136,121 184,0

8 33 D. VALLE ESP Halcourier Racing                                       Yamaha YZF-R3 2'01.523 1.395 0.078 6 136,034 176,5

9 13 J. FACCO ITA SK Racing                                                       Yamaha YZF-R3 2'01.898 1.770 0.375 6 135,615 180,3

10 55 G. HENDRA INA Team MOTOXRACING                         Yamaha YZF-R3 2'01.966 1.838 0.068 6 135,539 183,7

11 88 M. PEREZ ESP WILSport Racedays                                  Honda CBR500R 2'03.217 3.089 1.251 5 134,163 184,6

12 14 E. DE LA VEGA FRA GRT                                                    Yamaha WorldSSP300 Team Yamaha YZF-R3 2'03.322 3.194 0.105 5 134,049 175,9

Ana wins the fantastic race with incredible laps slicing seconds of the lap records......

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/motorsport/41299236 

Ana Carrasco

Ana Carrasco became the first woman to win a World Championship Grand Prix with a superb victory in Portugal.

The 20-year-old Spaniard edged home by 0.053secs to win round 10 of the FIM Supersport 300 World Championship.

Italy's Alfonso Coppola finished second to go top of the standings, overtaking Marc Garcia, who was third at the Autodromo Internacional do Algarve.  Aged 16, Carrasco was the first female rider for more than a decade to score a World Championship point.