World Super Bikes & Super SPort 300 series

lol-lol

Fantastic achievement Carrasco. Hopefully there will be a woman world motorcycle whole series champion soon!

BTW, didn't she win on a ninja 300?

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, john2017 said:

Fantastic achievement Carrasco. Hopefully there will be a woman world motorcycle whole series champion soon!

She did indeed a Kawasaki, as Kwackers won the 600 Supersport and the Superbike and the stock races as well I think.

Worth remembering though that Kawasaki do not race is MotoGP though Jonny Rea is allegedly being targeted to by Suzuki MotoGP team.  

Much as Chas D has given him a run for his money, and well beat him in some races, now Sykes is injured it has not been, or seems likely to be, an exiting end to the WSB season and the 600s and 300s look the much better series to watch but get much less screen time.

R3 far and away the dominant machine but close enough to have some fun. No KTMs which seems odd to me when the 390 is allowed and supposedly the most track focused.   

45 minutes ago, john2017 said:

I'd rather see woman compete alongside men in the arena of fairness and as seen here more than competitive enough to do so.

• 1 month later...

Well done KTM at Jerez, finally 390 cc KTM to come out to play with the R3, 300 Ninja and CB500.

Quickest in FP2......  http://resources.worldsbk.com/files/results/2017/ESP2/SSP300/L2A/CLA/Results.pdf?version=3f254ea62985e67d70d5751fd79112ed

• 2 weeks later...

Kawasaki announced ninja 400 for 2018 so I assume they will race it.

I bet Yam will develop an r4 and mt-04 to compete soon?

Best wishes,

John

1 hour ago, john2017 said:

Kawasaki announced ninja 400 for 2018 so I assume they will race it.

I bet Yam will develop an r4 and mt-04 to compete soon?

Best wishes,

John

Indeed but it is only going to launched as 45 hp, presumably to be A2 licence compliant or have a mild restrictor kit.  

Curb mass 174 kgs so 5 kgs heavier than the R3.

It may be forced to have a weight and/or rev penalty as does the CB500 in the WSS 300 racing.

Bring it on as it was a bit easy for the R3 this year. 

KTM 390 also just got homologation so next year could be even better and, in my bias view, the WSS 300 was the best motorsport series in 2017 and we even had a lady win a world championship motor race for the first time (and finish 8th overall)!  

Lime green / Ebony (KRT Edition)

1. MARC GARCIA             139    YAMAHA
  2. ALFONSO COPPOLA  138     YAMAHA
  3. SCOTT DEROUE          111     KAWASAKI
  4. MIKA PEREZ                104      HONDA
  5. DANIEL VALLE             85        YAMAHA
  6. BORJA SÁNCHEZ         85        YAMAHA
  7. ROBERT SCHOTMAN  78       YAMAHA
  8. ANA CARRASCO          59        KAWASAKI
  9. DORREN LOUREIRO    59      YAMAHA
  10. MYKYTA KALININ         44       YAMAHA

Edited by lol-lol

Ninja 400 vid......

Very low redline on this.   Lower than the GPZ 500S I use to have and even a ER5, odd !

Wonder if it has a rev limiter and if it would rev to 11k or so?   

Edited by lol-lol

On 30/10/2017 at 12:14, lol-lol said:

Ninja 400 vid......

Very low redline on this.   Lower than the GPZ 500S I use to have and even a ER5, odd !

Wonder if it has a rev limiter and if it would rev to 11k or so?   

I don't think it would rev much higher safely. It doesn't sound like its got much left... the sound of it right at the top makes me think you wouldn't want to take it much further, tbh. 

Not all about how high the redline is though, or indeed peak power figures sometimes. its where the powers made in the revs that makes a big difference on a road bike. 

• Like 1

The Ninja has its maximum power close or on the redline depending on which figures you see quoted, something I really do not like as I believe you should be able to rev past peak power enough so that the gear changes should straddle the maximum power over and under equally.

R3 does this fairly well with peak power at 10,750 and you can rev it too 12.5k or even 13k of you wish.

I think the bikes in this segment are made so that new riders can abuse them and they still stand up to it.

Expect the Ninja 400 will sell quite well if the price is not too much over £5k.   

On 01/11/2017 at 21:45, lol-lol said:

The Ninja has its maximum power close or on the redline depending on which figures you see quoted, something I really do not like as I believe you should be able to rev past peak power enough so that the gear changes should straddle the maximum power over and under equally.

R3 does this fairly well with peak power at 10,750 and you can rev it too 12.5k or even 13k of you wish.

I think the bikes in this segment are made so that new riders can abuse them and they still stand up to it.

Expect the Ninja 400 will sell quite well if the price is not too much over £5k.   

I've never really been into peaky engines for a road bike.. so i know what you mean. It's sort of why i've never bothered with a 600 sports as such. 

it is fun to wind them up, but you shouldn't 'have' to do it all the time to get places. 

8 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

I've never really been into peaky engines for a road bike.. so i know what you mean. It's sort of why i've never bothered with a 600 sports as such. 

it is fun to wind them up, but you shouldn't 'have' to do it all the time to get places. 

I have no complaints, actually stunned and impressed by the torque on the R3 which produces 75% of its torque at 3k revs and then revs on to 13k.  It translates to being able to emerge out of speed restricted areas in 6th gear at 30/35 mph, in 6th gear and just roll on cleanly without the engine complaining at a reasonable level of acceleration.     It is actually so good I felt I could take 3 teeth of the back sprocket and it still feels well geared but now is really relaxing cruising on the motorway at indicated 70/80 mph, just wish I could source the Sports Touring screen that is produced but seems to be the full £85 so trying to source a bit cheaper.  R3 was worthy winner of the first year of the World Super Sport "300" series and now we have benchmark results for many of the world's tracks and next season we will have the KTM and perhaps the new Ninja 400 entered as well should make for a season to match the fantastic racing we saw this year.

Whether the 600 Super Sport will continue has got to be in doubt considering the lack of emphasis on it and this rather odd situation that Kawasaki dominate World Super bikes, but do not complete in MotoGP and visa versa is a bit of a shame.  Yamaha should continue to be congratulated for their unique position that their MotoGP bike is a cousin of their road bikes ie cross the frame inline 4 cylinder, unlike the other marques which are not.  

Well done Zarco at Sepang and what looked a good crowd in the rainy conditions.  Well done Joan Mir but we do need more makes in Moto3, perhaps have the WSS 300 tuned version instead of the single cylinder 250s?

30 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

I have no complaints, actually stunned and impressed by the torque on the R3 which produces 75% of its torque at 3k revs and then revs on to 13k.  It translates to being able to emerge out of speed restricted areas in 6th gear at 30/35 mph, in 6th gear and just roll on cleanly without the engine complaining at a reasonable level of acceleration.     It is actually so good I felt I could take 3 teeth of the back sprocket and it still feels well geared but now is really relaxing cruising on the motorway at indicated 70/80 mph, just wish I could source the Sports Touring screen that is produced but seems to be the full £85 so trying to source a bit cheaper.  R3 was worthy winner of the first year of the World Super Sport "300" series and now we have benchmark results for many of the world's tracks and next season we will have the KTM and perhaps the new Ninja 400 entered as well should make for a season to match the fantastic racing we saw this year.

Whether the 600 Super Sport will continue has got to be in doubt considering the lack of emphasis on it and this rather odd situation that Kawasaki dominate World Super bikes, but do not complete in MotoGP and visa versa is a bit of a shame.  Yamaha should continue to be congratulated for their unique position that their MotoGP bike is a cousin of their road bikes ie cross the frame inline 4 cylinder, unlike the other marques which are not.  

Well done Zarco at Sepang and what looked a good crowd in the rainy conditions.  Well done Joan Mir but we do need more makes in Moto3, perhaps have the WSS 300 tuned version instead of the single cylinder 250s?

Not sure the R6 is doing that well for sales tbh. I know it ‘needs’ an ecu reflash to make it any good but i dont see many of them about tbh. More R1’s 

the Cross-Plane set up has always been a winner for Yam i think. Just makes it abit different and more interesting than the other IL4’s 

5 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

Not sure the R6 is doing that well for sales tbh. I know it ‘needs’ an ecu reflash to make it any good but i dont see many of them about tbh. More R1’s 

the Cross-Plane set up has always been a winner for Yam i think. Just makes it abit different and more interesting than the other IL4’s 

Such a lot of money for an R6, £11k, rubbish finance deals, mind you a R1 is now nearly £16k, much to do with the weakness of the British pound to the yen etc of course.   the R6 has been dropping power over the last two versions.    Crucially I just found it so uncomfortable and not really a proper size for someone over 6 foot tall where the R3 is much more comfortable for the taller rider and will be even more so when I get the sport touring screen.

Prefered my FZ6 S2 with the detuned R6 engine, it was still quite peaky and would actually do a standing start quarter mile quicker than the R6 despite have 20 hp less but I still prefer the power delivery of the SV and R3 more than the FZ6 S2 and down the lanes I would rather be on the R3, or SV, than a FZ6 or R6 though I really thought the MT09s were the nicest bike in the bigger engined sector, the pillion it did terrify though !  

2017-Yamaha-YZF-R6-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-002.jpg

Edited by lol-lol

18 hours ago, fabiamk2SE said:

They need an ecu reflash to be sorted properly. 

Its all that euro 4 crap 

But removing the "Cat", like the thousands who are now being done for removing their DPF, is that also going to result in a fine maybe?

10 minutes ago, lol-lol said:

But removing the "Cat", like the thousands who are now being done for removing their DPF, is that also going to result in a fine maybe?

You dont need to remove the cat to have it fuelled properly. 

And no anyway. Cos there isnt even an emissions test on motorcycles yet and it looks visually the same.  

Mines got no cat in.  

• Like 1

On 11/4/2017 at 12:44, lol-lol said:

Such a lot of money for an R6, £11k, rubbish finance deals, mind you a R1 is now nearly £16k, much to do with the weakness of the British pound to the yen etc of course.   the R6 has been dropping power over the last two versions.    Crucially I just found it so uncomfortable and not really a proper size for someone over 6 foot tall where the R3 is much more comfortable for the taller rider and will be even more so when I get the sport touring screen.

Prefered my FZ6 S2 with the detuned R6 engine, it was still quite peaky and would actually do a standing start quarter mile quicker than the R6 despite have 20 hp less but I still prefer the power delivery of the SV and R3 more than the FZ6 S2 and down the lanes I would rather be on the R3, or SV, than a FZ6 or R6 though I really thought the MT09s were the nicest bike in the bigger engined sector, the pillion it did terrify though !  

2017-Yamaha-YZF-R6-EU-Race-Blu-Studio-002.jpg

I loved my Yamaha R46 but it killed me riding it in London traffic as all your weight was on your wrists. It was a lovely thing to look at though!

DSCF0001.JPG

DSCF0007.JPG

DSCF0008.JPG

Edited by Prykey
  • Like 1

"Heatwave"
(feat. Ms D)

If I draw 5 for the day
Then we ain't got to worry, we're nice for the day
Inspired by the sun, take flight for the day
Sippin' a cold beer, sunshine in your face

Long nights are crazy we are on them