The Briskoda drive recorder video footage thread part 2

TeflonTom

My girlfriend is adament that this was my fault...... let's see what Brisky thinks.

Edit: I hadn't started to indicate off the roundabout until after the first car pulled out from the roundabout, the way i see it is, regardless of what exit i was coming off of, neither car should have pulled out.

Edited by Ally_bassman
Add more detail

6 minutes ago, Ally_bassman said:

My girlfriend is adament that this was my fault...... let's see what Brisky thinks.

I can't actually say from that; where did you change from right to left hand indicator signal and/or move left after the end of the ghost island?

On 5/17/2017 at 09:47, Ally_bassman said:

Edit: I hadn't started to indicate off the roundabout until after the first car pulled out from the roundabout, the way i see it is, regardless of what exit i was coming off of, neither car should have pulled out.

The merc driver didn't really seem to inconvenience you, had the Kia not been there I don't think you'd have had to slow down.

Looks like quite a big/fast roundabout - it's quite common for people to find it difficult to pull out without inconveniencing someone else slightly.

I wouldn't say it was entirely your fault or the Kia's, room for improvement on both sides I think. If you were further to the left, indicating and were going just a few mph slower you might not even have had to lift for the Kia pulling out - or they may not have pulled out.

@Ally_bassman Well, based on your edit, your indicator was way too late. If you'd signalled left at the correct time (as you pass the exit before the one you intend taking) and taken up the LH (exit) lane sooner after the end of the chevrons there would have been no question of even possibly being inconvenienced by the Mercedes (If anything he may have been able to enter the roundabout sooner).

The Kia is harder to call; I might have gone but my Octy is faster off the mark than it is.

Just now, KenONeill said:

@Ally_bassman Well, based on your edit, your indicator was way too late. If you'd signalled left at the correct time (as you pass the exit before the one you intend taking) and taken up the LH (exit) lane sooner after the end of the chevrons there would have been no question of even possibly being inconvenienced by the Mercedes (If anything he may have been able to enter the roundabout sooner).

The Kia is harder to call; I might have gone but my Octy is faster off the mark than it is.

True,

The Mercedes, while close is fine. The Kia just played 'follow the leader' and went when they really shouldn't have. If it was a 3.0L auto and shot off the line, I wouldn't have even noticed.

My indication, line choice and speed do not (IMO) give any suitable reason for the KIA to pull out of the roundabout.

10 minutes ago, Ally_bassman said:

True,

The Mercedes, while close is fine. The Kia just played 'follow the leader' and went when they really shouldn't have. If it was a 3.0L auto and shot off the line, I wouldn't have even noticed.

My indication, line choice and speed do not (IMO) give any suitable reason for the KIA to pull out of the roundabout.

Also true, but my point was that your late signal and turn might have led the Kia driver to a mistaken belief that you intended to continue to a later exit.

This cyclist seems to have a very poor sense of self-preservation. 

Completely ignored a segregated bus/taxi/cycle lane to mix it up with three lanes of live, regular traffic.

And the black Vito taxi just got aggressive.

Learner driving.

2 hours ago, AutoScholar said:

This cyclist seems to have a very poor sense of self-preservation. 

Completely ignored a segregated bus/taxi/cycle lane to mix it up with three lanes of live, regular traffic.

And the black Vito taxi just got aggressive.

Learner driving.

Why are you attempting an overtake coming up to a set of red lights then basically stop next to the cyclist, now you're straddling two lanes. Before you start throwing stones, don't live in greenhouse. 

On 5/20/2017 at 00:05, meta55b said:

Why are you attempting an overtake coming up to a set of red lights then basically stop next to the cyclist, now you're straddling two lanes. Before you start throwing stones, don't live in greenhouse. 

I'd taken the apparent lane straddling as being an artifact of @AutoScholar's dashcam positioning. Tell me there weren't some bizarre lane positioning choices by the distinctively haired young lady though!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

ISTR being taught to pass other traffic "right to right" in this situation.

Indeed so, but at this junction, as with many others in greater Manchester, the exceedingly worn out road markings explicitly set up passenger-side-to-passenger-side passing.  You, I and the highway code may disagree, but this is generally the situation on the ground in this region.

Interesting one from earlier today.

Elderly woman pulls out of the junctions and drives on the wrong side of the road causing me to anchor up.

Her engine was screaming away (bouncing off the rev limiter) and carried on this way all the way down the road behind me. I had the roof down so heard it quite clearly.

This one from yesterday.

I know I shouldn't have passed but when he moved over to the left I though he was moving over and so put my foot down to pass. Then when I realised he wasn't I just thought "stuff-it" and carried on.

He stayed in the lane and held up a load of traffic doing 45-50mph.

Edited by Phil-E

On 2017-5-19 at 10:30, Ally_bassman said:

OK so i'm not completely blame-less, but the real question is: Do I admit this to the Mrs? :D

I know this roundabout extremely well. As you come round to join the M60, you needed to move over into the left-hand lane. As you come across the Kia, you're in the lane to come off the roundabout at the next exit for Bredbury.

The vision for both Mercedes and Kia are limited as well. For leaving from the M60 exit. So that needs taking into account.

• Like 1

What a crazy overtake on the biker still in the outside lane.

Then to cut in front before safe to do so.   Biker behaviour odd, drivers behaviour looks like dangerous driving.

?

Why the changed lane in front of the bike to then go back out just a bit on, what was behind you behind the bikes that needed you to be getting a shift on, or was it just road rage?

Edited by Awayoffski

14 hours ago, KenONeill said:

I'd taken the apparent lane straddling as being an artifact of @AutoScholar's dashcam positioning. Tell me there weren't some bizarre lane positioning choices by the distinctively haired young lady though!

So it's ok to attempt an overtake that was a fail from the start, because the OP knew the lady on the bike was going to do some strange cycling just after it. My point is the OP is in the wrong, way before that lady on the bike did anything weird. 

I know I know. Like I said I really shouldn't have passed.

They were going around 45mph. Hit 50 at one point. There were about 5-6 cars behind me and growing as we're only doing 45mph in the outside lane!

Like I say I saw him moving to the left so started to go... Then carried on as I was annoyed at him sat there.

I didn't cut in close in front as I passed him at 70 so got a fair distance in front before I pulled in.

I pulled in to show him there is a lane there.

Like I say he then sat there holding up all the other traffic and made zero progress on the car I passed. Eventually I saw 3 cars undertake him!

Edited by Phil-E

Phil-E: We all make mistakes from time to time when it comes to driving, and nobody is perfect. However thats pretty bad driving from yourself!

Bikers learning and you just couldnt wait to get past because they were going too slow in your eyes. And as already mentioned you passed him in the same lane. You are brave uploading that!

On 22/05/2017 at 22:04, Wardy said:

I know this roundabout extremely well. As you come round to join the M60, you needed to move over into the left-hand lane. As you come across the Kia, you're in the lane to come off the roundabout at the next exit for Bredbury.

The vision for both Mercedes and Kia are limited as well. For leaving from the M60 exit. So that needs taking into account.

True, I should have been further over and made my intentions clear. People pulling out into live traffic is a commom occurance at that roundabout as you know! I think getting rid of the trees in the middle would help.

• Like 1

On my drive to work this morning i came across a serious RTC involving a cyclist and a HGV. First responder and the police were on the scene and had not yet closed the road. I saw the poor chap on the road and it's didn't look good.

What i'm saying is, we need to remeber that vunlerable road users are not just faceless beings or just a steretype because of the mode of transport they choose to use.

They are people like the rest of us, and like the rest of us they are somebodys whole world.

Remeber: Life is precious and fragile and driving is a privalige, not a right.

Edited by Ally_bassman
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ally_bassman said:

True, I should have been further over and made my intentions clear. People pulling out into live traffic is a commom occurance at that roundabout as you know! I think getting rid of the trees in the middle would help.

It is a bit of an issue on that roundabout, I absolutely agree.

But over in lane 1 earlier, with an earlier signal, might help a little bit. The last thing you want is someone in the Merc position to pull out assertively, thinking that you'll be moving round to come off for Bredbury and not the M60! 

But you're right, people will still pull out....