The Briskoda drive recorder video footage thread part 2

TeflonTom

46 minutes ago, Ally_bassman said:

This happened to me today, i'm perfectly entitled to use the merge lane, this old boy decided to try and force me off the road!

I'm thinking of reporting to the Police as that sort of behaviour is just not on.

Look at his road positioning when he first comes into your camera view. You honestly couldn't see that coming?

BTW, I've been just ahead of 2 trucks who formed a rolling block in a similar situation, and after the arrogant :swear:s had cleared, the road speed in the through lane increased from 5 to 30 mph for 2 miles.

?

Can we see what happened next?

Was it just a driver making a bad job of changing lane, & did they just go up behind the van in that lane with hazard lights on, or just brake lights.?

'Hazard perception, seeing that there is a line inside stopped or crawling along and maybe there is a reason why and some might change lanes or even act as Road Captains'.

Edited by Headinawayoffski
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Ally_bassman said:

This happened to me today, i'm perfectly entitled to use the merge lane, this old boy decided to try and force me off the road!

I'm thinking of reporting to the Police as that sort of behaviour is just not on.

I've had a similar thing happen to me - only I was able to drive around him. I would't bother reporting it to the police. One day the driver may try it with a builder in an old transit van and get some karma.

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, KenONeill said:

I didn't see any "merge in turn" signage; what I did see was both lanes coming to a stop, then accelerating again after the merge.

I don't think signage is required. See highway code rule 134.

If signage was required I'd expect the HC to say something like "keep to the left lane unless merge in turn signage is present".

5 hours ago, dan4291 said:

I wish we had a merge in turn law and attitude in this country, would make the roads so much nicer to drive on! Absolutely appalling attitude from the Freelander driver, as if you were holding him up! Ridiculous!

Indeed. Unfortunately many drivers seem to be sheep and think it's "pushing in", when really it's common sense to use of all the available road and merge in turn.

17 hours ago, vrsTom said:

I don't think signage is required. See highway code rule 134.

If signage was required I'd expect the HC to say something like "keep to the left lane unless merge in turn signage is present".

Which is pretty much irrelevant to my points:-

1. There is fixed "merge in turn" signage on some UK roads. I've seen it but can't remember where well enough to search Streetview.
  2. If people hadn't been trying to "push in" at the last moment like you did, the Vmin before the merge would probably have been about 30mph rather than 0.

5 minutes ago, KenONeill said:

Which is pretty much irrelevant to my points:-

1. There is fixed "merge in turn" signage on some UK roads. I've seen it but can't remember where well enough to search Streetview.
  2. If people hadn't been trying to "push in" at the last moment like you did, the Vmin before the merge would probably have been about 30mph rather than 0.

1. I have seen such signs before. Are you saying that without signage, everyone should queue in the left lane only? Can you refer to the relevant bit of the highway code?

2. The traffic is stop start because it queues up to a roundabout further along. People's inability to merge in turn also contributes. Which part of the highway code did I breach by using the r/h lane up to the merge point?

Are you defending the van driver's (one in front of blue BMW) and Freelander driver's actions?

Do you understand that failing to use both lanes and merge in turn could cause the traffic to back up to another junction? In this case the A11/A505 junction.

Why do you think there are two lanes for the short distance? Do you think it could be to prevent traffic backing up onto the A11, if drivers used both lanes up to the merge point?

I wouldn't have let you in either. That's my choice. It really annoys me that people bypass all the traffic then expect to be let in. Drivers that are impatient, and know the lanes merge, and 'push in' at the last minute. 

PS. Excessive use of the horn as well. That would make me even angrier.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sippo said:

I wouldn't have let you in either. That's my choice. It really annoys me that people bypass all the traffic then expect to be let in. Drivers that are impatient, and know the lanes merge, and 'push in' at the last minute. 

PS. Excessive use of the horn as well. That would make me even angrier.

Which part of the highway code did I breach by using the r/h lane up to the merge point? If everyone drove like you there'd be more accidents and traffic would back up to other junctions.

Excessive use maybe, but he did nearly hit the side of my car and I had to take avoiding action twice.

Consider you're at the supermarket and 2 checkouts are open. Checkout 1's conveyor belt is full with 3 customers in the queue. Checkout 2's conveyor belt is 1/3 full with one customer in the queue. You arrive at the checkouts and to go Checkout 2. Are you pushing in front of the last person to join Checkout 1? If you were the second customer in the queue at Checkout 1 would you block any other customers arriving at checkout 2 to prevent them leaving the supermarket before you?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You seem very defensive, that's my opinion. I am not in the wrong if I don't let you merge in. Left hand lane, in that situation, has priority unless stated otherwise. 

With regards to your supermarket issue. If there are 3 people in checkout 1 queueing, and then they open checkout 2 as you turn up. Would you allow checkout 1 people before you? 

That's the point in case. 

Edited by Sippo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, vrsTom said:

Consider you're at the supermarket and 2 checkouts are open. Checkout 1's conveyor belt is full with 3 customers in the queue. Checkout 2's conveyor belt is 1/3 full with one customer in the queue. You arrive at the checkouts and to go Checkout 2. Are you pushing in front of the last person to join Checkout 1? If you were the second customer in the queue at Checkout 1 would you block any other customers arriving at checkout 2 to prevent them leaving the supermarket before you?

Thankyou! Exactly the analogy that's needed here!

2 hours ago, Sippo said:

You seem very defensive, that's my opinion. I am not in the wrong if I don't let you merge in. Left hand lane, in that situation, has priority unless stated otherwise. 

With regards to your supermarket issue. If there are 3 people in checkout 1 queueing, and then they open checkout 2 as you turn up. Would you allow checkout 1 people before you? 

That's the point in case. 

Depends if people choose to to stay in checkout 1 queue or not. If they move first, then after them.

2 hours ago, vrsTom said:

Which part of the highway code did I breach by using the r/h lane up to the merge point? If everyone drove like you there'd be more accidents and traffic would back up to other junctions.

Excessive use maybe, but he did nearly hit the side of my car and I had to take avoiding action twice.

You might want to consider that, whilst we didn't see the "Freeloader" until the last few seconds, we did see you running alongside the "soccer mom" in front of him earlier.

Also, perhaps, since you're using the HC as a crutch for your "famous last words", you'd like to point out where it says that traffic in the inside lane of multiple lanes must yield to that in the outside?

@dan4291 - "...is recommended..." means it's a suggestion. It certainly does not mean that traffic in the RH lane has right of way as @vrsTom seems to believe. The norm is that traffic in the through lane has right of way if anyone does, and the hatched area is on the right of the carriageway.

14 hours ago, mac11irl said:

Hasnt this merge in turn debate been battered out unresolved several times already? 

Somebody put a new video up to divert attention! :D

Sadly yes. It'll carry on and on until the government change the law about it, which isn't really a priority by the sound of things at the moment!

Just found some videos that I uploaded a while back but didn't put on this thread.

Coming round a roundabout and I see a Ford Focus crashed into a fence in the bushes to the left of the road. Reported to Police as no 'Police Aware' notices but they said they already knew about it.

Going through a set of roadworks on the A66 dual carriageway, with one of the carriageways closed and the other down to 2-way single file traffic. Coming up to a closed (in our direction) junction, some cars decide that, instead of following the diversion signposted earlier, that they would stop traffic and turn right onto an open slip road. A bit naughty this one really!

Coming up to a steep bit of road, the truck in front is trying to accelerate to gain momentum to get up the hill at a decent pace. Unfortunately they are thwarted by a dozy Corsa driver who slows right down at the beginning of the hill, causing the truck to lose all their momentum. After I overtake them both, the truck manages to overtake the Corsa. Just shows how slow the Corsa driver was going!

Something a bit different (and longer), took a cheeky (but legal) drive round Oliver's Mount race circuit in Scarborough, which is a public road when no racing is on, but 30mph limit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, KenONeill said:

@dan4291 - Like the Oliver's Mount footage. One question though; I thought it was one way at all times?

And ref the A66, are those roadworks posted "No access to $place"?

Not sure if it's one way all the time, never saw any signs saying it was one way. I just went that way because that's the way the racers go!

As far as I can remember, a diversion was signposted before the roadworks began, going to that closed junction. It just looks like locals taking a shortcut, which I thought was a bit naughty.

2 minutes ago, dan4291 said:

Not sure if it's one way all the time, never saw any signs saying it was one way. I just went that way because that's the way the racers go!

As far as I can remember, a diversion was signposted before the roadworks began, going to that closed junction. It just looks like locals taking a shortcut, which I thought was a bit naughty.

It's years since, but I was sure it was one way back when we visited. I'll agree that there's a shortage of signposts though.

Similarly, I asked about the A66 because I've not always seen "junction closed" signs in those circumstances. I agree it was cheeky to hang the right even if you didn't hold anyone up to speak of though.