Engine seized 1.4 Greenline estate

lrmulli

Advice needed, car lost power yesterday, coasted it to side of road. Recovery guy said he thinks its starter. Towed me to garage. Garage says "engine seized" and i'll need a new / reconed one - they would fit but not supply. They said that the dipstick showed like it had been overfilled with oil - but i haven't done that - any idea what could have caused that? How much an engine would cost? would it be worth it? Car is skoda fabia estate 1.4 PD greenline (08 plate) Thanks Lou

Where was your car taken too.  

What kind of garage and do you know them and their reputation locally?

Did you check the Oil level on the dipstick recently before the incident.?

Or has anyone else worked on your car, serviced it or the likes.?

If you think the Garage the car is at is at it then you best see about getting it removed from there and have a mechanic you can trust check your car.

If you are due them money, then maybe you need to pay them that, 

but get a Report in writing from their mechanic if he / she is saying seized and possibly over filled,

and get an Invoice & Receipt if they want money.

????

How much are they quoting to fit an engine if you source one?

Thanks for replying goneoffSKion1

The garage they took it to was one i've used before and i think that they are trust worthy

Haven't checked oil recently

It was due a service - it's been about a year since it was done.

MOT was done in July - that was last time it was worked on.

They said FIT would be about £5-6-700 quid kind of ball park but i would have to source and supply myself.

I've no idea how much an engine cost or how you would know if it's a good one. 

Parkers is saying car is worth about £2300 so i'm wondering if it's worth it. or whether it's time to start thinking about replacing.

I'm absolutely gutted as it's only done 69k

It was due a service - it's been about a year since it was done.

MOT was done in July - that was last time it was worked on.

On that evidence, I'd've thought it unlikely to have too much oil in, not enough, maybe! Did they drain it to see how much came out?

As advised above, I think I'd get it all in writing, pay for it and take it elsewhere.

Hope you get it sorted, Lou

• Like 1

Is the cam-belt still in one piece, as rather strangely there was a Greenline on Ebay that had snapped its belt at 69K. Contact in the engine could give the same symptoms.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/368641-slightly-over-due-cambelt/#entry4358117

If oil level is going up, fuel is washing down the bores into it. Which means the bores are likely shot too.

I got stung with a car out of warranty with a massive repair bill some years back - also a diesel as it happens - and have been leasing new cars since, it's cheaper in the end IMO. Cut your losses and move on.

It's hard to seize a diesel. The diesel fuel itself is a lubricant and works well in lubricating the bores. It's more likely the oil pump drive chain had broken. This has happened to a few unfortunates with this engine. The result is an engine seizure. The oil level may be related to this or not. Oil dilution causing massive increase in the oil level is another issue and could cause the engine to blow some gaskets but not usually seize. At least I've not seen one seize due to that. Even oil dilution is not really a big problem especially on the smaller diesels. It's usually the bigger 2.0ltr plus engines that don't get worked hard enough that may develop than issue. Good luck with sorting this. Can't help with the cost of a new engine but Skoda can. Give them a call. Factory recon units are as good as new with everything inside being replaced.