Change to 45 profile

Superb170

After debating for a while I replaced my 225/40/18s with 225/45/18s. I had 35k Kms on my last set (Bridgestone Potenza) and that was as much as I was going to get out of them. Only got 30k Kms on the original Contis. Anyway, so far, after the first few hundred Kms, I'm glad I've gone for the increased side wall. Minimal difference on speedo (a couple of %) and no insurance issues and any negative difference to handling will be barely noticeable. Straight away the car is riding much more comfortable and the handling is more composed actually. I'm sure if I was on the limit going into corners etc I might notice some roll but under legal limits I don't think it will be noticeable at all.

The only downside is the price - to replace with the bridgestones I had on would have cost around €750 to €800 (£575stg) for a set!! Went for Barums - Bravuris 3hm instead. Probably not the best tyre in the world but not too far off the main premium brands. Got the Barums for €530 (£380stg roughly) including tracking. I do high enough mileage and because I'll be changing them within 12 months again I tried to get the balance between quality and price.

I'll see how I get on with the higher sidewall but very happy so far. As I said, only issue is price as they are not a very common size. Most 45 profiles would come with the 235 width and upwards, like on the new Superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you want to change to a 45 profile tyre, it is much better to change to 225/45R17. Simply sell your (too big) 18" wheels and buy a decent set of 17" wheels back. Since this tyre size is extremely common, you can buy a complete set of NEW tyres and NEW wheels for around € 800... All the money you make with selling your present 18" set is than a bonus.

Moreover, this 225/45R17 is a standard size for a Superb II, so there are no speedo problems.

If you want to change to a 45 profile tyre, it is much better to change to 225/45R17. Simply sell your (too big) 18" wheels and buy a decent set of 17" wheels back. Since this tyre size is extremely common, you can buy a complete set of NEW tyres and NEW wheels for around € 800... All the money you make with selling your present 18" set is than a bonus.

Moreover, this 225/45R17 is a standard size for a Superb II, so there are no speedo problems.

yeah, I considered that but it's an L&K and it just wouldn't look the same with 17s and the Sirius wheels do look nice.

will that affect the displayed mph/kph?

Currently mine reads about 5kph over the actual - I assume they are all calibrated in the factory that way? I reckon it will be only reading about 1kph over now so I just need to be conscious of that. Not worried about it too much. With the general tolerance levels built into speed defection equipment it should be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

I have skoda superb 2009 with 225/40r18 x 8.5j wheels and im thinking if i upgrade to 225/45r18 will the wheel rub the fender or any parts of my car?

I certainly haven't noticed anything even when fully laden on a bumpy road. I have to admit It does get tight though around the arches when it's fully laden but the tyres don't make contact.

I've just gone from 225/45 R17 to 225/50 R17 on my Superb.

Not fitted them yet as the new tyres are on my winter rims and sat in the garage waiting for winter. Looking forward to trying them though!

IMG_20151010_121634_zpssocd4zje.jpg

• Like 1

Hi silver 1101 can I ask how much you paid and where you got the winter wheels and tyres from? I have a new ish l&k and the 18inch wheels do ruin the ride comfort. I was thinking of getting a set of winter wheels the possibly switching to 17's for summer tyres next year

After putting a few thousand kms on my new tyres I'm really glad I switched. I used to experience a lot of crashing and banging over bumps and its all disappeared now. Much smoother overall and road noise has also reduced. The ride now suits the rest of the car is refined and comfortable. Never going for 40s again!

Really interesting as I have been thinking of the possibility of changing the tyres to 45 rather than 40's. Seems to be a good choice of brand's on the net as well for this size.

Hi James, Its the constant bumping and crashing over bumps, drain covers etc, we know the roads in the UK are not the best and in a good bit of tarmac the ride is excellent, unfortunatly we dont have much of that here.

It reminds be a lot of a 3 series I used to drive which was one fitted with early run flats which used to feel everything i drove over. (I didnt like that either) Its like that now, but with a bit more give due to the Skodas softer setup.

Reading this it must just be a combination of wheels and tyres on the L&K which cause the issue, so the answer would be to change the wheels and tyres if I want more comfort, whcih I do.

Anyone want to buy a set of L&K wheels and tyres which have dont about 9k? :)

• Like 2

Totally agree,the 18 inch 40 225 tyres can be a comfort problem,i think they are ok for sporty driving but not for overall comfort.

Superskoda.com has some nice 17 inch skoda original wheels but others here will have more info,maybe 16 inch wheels could fit your car.

Your existing wheels could be sold as a set or separate for people wanting a full size spare wheel,maybe advertise here.remember delivery costs are high for wheels,maybe consider local delivery yourself or buyer collection.

Good luck.

Really interesting as I have been thinking of the possibility of changing the tyres to 45 rather than 40's. Seems to be a good choice of brand's on the net as well for this size.

They are more expensive in 45 profile as 225/45/18 is an off standard size (well at least here in Ireland) so something to consider. Remember 235/45/18 would be more usual as it is in the Mark III. I paid an extra €35 (£25) a corner I think over the equivalent 40 profile version.

Interesting, who are you insured with, out of curiosity?

I'm insured with RSA. I checked and as its not a fundamental change to the car type it doesn't impact on my cover

• Like 1

Hi silver 1101 can I ask how much you paid and where you got the winter wheels and tyres from? I have a new ish l&k and the 18inch wheels do ruin the ride comfort. I was thinking of getting a set of winter wheels the possibly switching to 17's for summer tyres next year

Hi Luke,

I bought them from online tyre retailer Tyre Leader.

Be quick, their prices are creeping up as we get closer to the bad weather...

https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/nokian/wr-d4/225-50-r17-98h-353979

I paid £79 each (incl. VAT and delivery) to a local tyre fitter, who then charged £10 a corner to fit them.

£89 x 4 = £356 all in.

See here...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/373820-22550r17-94w-xl-winter-tyres/

maybe 16 inch wheels could fit your car.

I have a set of 16" alloys from my Octavia that I use for winter tyres. No problems with clearance on the disks on a CR170. As far as I know the only Superb you can't run 16s on is the V6 as the front disks are too big. The difference in ride between my 16" winter tyres and the 17" summer ones is negligible, though since the winters are 205 wide the steering is noticeably lighter for parking. The drop in grip with the winter tyres is noticeable under hard acceleration and braking too. My first test drive of a Superb was on a car with 18" wheels and the quality of the ride blew me away compared to my Octavia on 16" wheels though.

• 1 year later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread. But I am very interested in the 225/45/18 tire. But what size wheel did you run them on? 18x?.  And what backspacing?  I think the stock tires look so small compared to that big Skoda.