Will full size steel spare wheel from Superb II suit Superb III?

Just private flying, although had night rating and 'Instrument Meteorological Rating' of which I was proud at the time....and still am come to think of it!

:clap:

• Like 1

I did around 18 hours from Netherthorpe when I was a kid.... Started when I was 14 ! Wish I'd kept it up ... Might have another go some day... Also fancy gliding ...

Imc is no mean fete well done !

I flew from Netherthorpe for a while...one of the runways is shorter than an aircraft carrier and, as you know, requires particular power and rolling techniques to get off the ground before the fence at the end.

I did my PPL, Night and IMC ratings from Southend on Sea in Essex where we lived and worked at the time.

Night training at the time included flying up the Thames as far as Tower Bridge (before the Docklands airport)....the lights of London from the air I can still remember. 

IMC test was 'blind' take off from Southend (under a hood and steering on the ground with the 'Direction Indicator' after first lining up on the runway visually) then total instrument flight to my favourite private aviation destination - Le Touquet (been over 100 times) with instrument approach to 500 feet and then take the hood off and hope there's a runway somewhere in front of you (with the wife and 18 month old bawler in the back).

Great lunch at the brasserie at the airport in the day, don't know what the current situation is, apart from what we see on the news most nights from the not too distant locales.

Anyway, you have encouraged me to stray from spare tyres, and I can only thank you for that!

Should have said...went solo in a Slingsby T31 or T21 (can't be bothered checking which)  two seat 'glider' (performance of a house brick!) in 1962 (I think) at RNAS Arbroath in Scotland when I was an ATC Cadet but subsequently joined Scottish Gliding Union at Portmoak beside Loch Leven and then many years later the Coventry Gliding club at Husbands Bosworth in Leicestershire.

Gliding is in my opinion the most enjoyable, challenging and time consuming form of aviation. But you cannot actually plan to go to Le Touquet for lunch, either to get there or get back, which is a great pity.

:sun:

• Like 1

Yeah Netherthorpe runway was fun ! Big bump in the middle where you almost got airborne ! I saw a girl almost put her mount through the hedge !

I have to make do with PC Flight Sims now .... When I have time which is almost never....

Reason I stopped.... I was air sick. Loved flying and everything about aviation but in the end it was too much.... As I've aged though the motion sickness has gradually vanished.

Great memories though and did some things that not many get the chance to do. Aerobatics in a trainer yellow Chipmonk on a glorious summer day .....

I'm about to order one of these steel wheels as a spare for my Superb III. I have a 205/55/16 tyre ready to fit.

Can anyone confirm that this is the right wheel size, it's 5 x 112 PCD, Offset is ET45, centre bore 57mm, 7j x 16 and if so will this definitely sit under the boot floor in the hatchback without causing the floor to be raised?

Also, any pointers on where to acquire the proper tool kit? Other than paying Skoda prices...

Edited by Pete T
  • Like 1

Yes Pete those sizes are perfect .... and what the factory supply.

Look on eBay or TPS for a toolkit slightly cheaper than the dealer price

Thanks Gizmo, will get the wheel ordered. Have got a watch on a few tool kits on ebay :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm about to order one of these steel wheels https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/steel-wheels/skoda/superb-combi/2-0tdi-20077 as a spare for my Superb III. I have a 205/55/16 tyre ready to fit.

Can anyone confirm that this is the right wheel size, it's 5 x 112 PCD, Offset is ET45, centre bore 57mm, 7j x 16 and if so will this definitely sit under the boot floor in the hatchback without causing the floor to be raised?

Also, any pointers on where to acquire the proper tool kit? Other than paying Skoda prices...

same here

looking to order one once my car is delivered.

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone who has taken delivery of their Superb III please advise the part number shown on the spare wheel tool kit? Thanks in advance :)

Just to answer my own question and for any future reference, the Superb 3 tool kit for 16" spare wheel is part number 3V0093860

Edited by Pete T

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thanks to all who posted in this thread. I bought the wheel from Tyreleader, and the jack from Superskoda, saving a small fortune. I really wish I had ordered the car with a spare, as this has been a bit of hassle. 

• Like 1

Not sure what the actual difference is other than one states 16" Wheels and the one with the "A" states for 18" Wheels, the contents look on the face of it to be identical.

• 4 months later...

The difference is in the size of the expanded polystyrene container.

One will fit inside a 16inch spare wheel and the other an 18inch.

I have been told by Rainworth Skoda that the 18" kit is designed to fit underneath the 18" spacesaver (which they say is put in upside down to the normal convention) and that it will therefore not fit a full size 18". Their advice is that if you have a full size 18" spare you should buy the 16" version and add some packing.

I'll be doing this if I can eventually source an 18" full size alloy or at worst a steel.