Useful Options

Will have about £1100 to spend on options and whilst there are some great options, the majority won't get used in my case and will be pointless.

I am currently leaning towards:

Canton

Kessy

Towbar

Heated rear seats (for kids)

19" Sirius (just because I like them)

Sunroof (blow the budget in one)

Heated windscreen

These will be at basic rates not RRP and will be on the already well spec'd SE-L Executive. I do 30k+ per annum.

Do those that have these on their MkII find them useful. Perhaps this might serve as a useful thread for others too.

Yup, heated windscreen. Combine with "Max" climate control and front screen de-misted in seconds, or de-iced in just a few more. The Mk.II wired screen was great, I can only imagine the Mk.III metal film will be better [Hell, if it's good enough for a jet fighter...!].

Kessy - just so damn convenient.

Sirius? 15 spokes? Not for me. Prefer clean and simple (wheels and colours are things people shouldn't really be asking others about - it's personal!).

Sunroof? Didn't miss it on my last three cars. Ordered it on my Mk.III for no other reason than the extra cabin light it provides (chances are the roof itself may never get opened!).

Heated rear seats? What kind of extravagance is that for the second-class passengers? (yeah, ordered them myself too!)

Canton? I'm no audiophile, but what I've heard sounded good to me so that went on my options too. It seemed quite an improvement over the Mk.II's non-woofer version.

• Like 1

^^ thanks, useful thoughts.

KESSY I get 100% so will probably go on the list.

Always liked the Sirius design

Heated windscreen is a good shout too, thanks Gizmo.

Are you getting estate or hatchback? If estate I'd definitely go with panoramic sunroof. Tow bar and nice wheels can always be added later.

Estate. It will be a leased company car so very limited on changes later on. A towbar added later would be ok.

I have KESSY on my L&K and personally I could take it or leave it and I certainly wouldn't spend on it if it wasn't standard. Maybe it has been upgraded on the MkIII but I find it temperamental at times. If you're getting 19" wheels do you have DCC as well? I would think DCC is a must with larger wheels. Remember they will be 40 profiles and lead a slightly harsh ride on some roads. The comfort mode on DCC should sort that though. I don't have a heated windscreen but I've read some comments on here from members who have complained about reflections from the heating elements in the windscreen at nighttime. Agree with Booble on the ambient lighting, would be a very nice touch at reasonable money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CANTON isn't just about the music it punches out, it also comes with noise cancelling technology which some have told me is brilliant when cruising along and listening to music at reasonable/low volumes. That's why I specced it!

And with KESSY, I feel that going from push to start and back to key based ignition is a regressive step on such a forward thinking, premium, car! SEL should have at least come with KESSY GO like other Skoda models.

And with Sirius, I agree it's a preference point but luckily the 18" Pegasus are both free and look good. 18" is a fantastic size for a standard wheel.

Bare in mid that a metal film heater will mean tom tom sat navs etc will probably not work along with some radar detectors and some reactolight type glasses etc.

I believe it also has an adverse effect on radio reception.

Heated screen and rear seats. Roof utterly pointless IMHO. I had a Rapid courtesy car with a panorama roof and just thought why. Sunroofs were useful in the years before standard Airco, and now with dual and even triple zone climate they are just redundant.

The wife has a Focus with a heated screen and the Garman satnav works perfectly.

IMHO....

If you're going to ferrying kids about, the Crew Protect should be #1 priority - without this, the kids in the back won't have side airbags.

If you're likely to have need for a towbar, I'd get the factory one. No issues with adding wiring looms, integrating/coding with the car's ECU etc - plus it's all covered under warranty. 

Also the factory towbar says it includes "uprated engine cooling system and battery/charging" or something like that, so it's not just the towbar.

I doubt the difference in price between the factory one and a properly-done aftermarket job will be much.

Heated windscreen - very useful, we've had it in 3 cars now (Mk1 Focus, Mk2 Focus, Mk4 Mondeo) and I really miss it on the Yeti.

As you can probably guess, we've specced all the above on our Superb 3.

Canton / Kessy - to me are nice-to-haves but not essential. We're going without.

Sunroof - never again. Had too many issues with leaks in the past! It's a hole-free roof for us and a not-insignificant weight saving too.

The wife has a Focus with a heated screen and the Garman satnav works perfectly.

Depends on the type of screen I think. The "thin wires in the glass" type like Fords have used seem fine with satnavs etc, but I believe the newer metal film type cause more problems.

But if you've got built-in satnav anyway, I can't see this being an issue, I assume the GPS receiver is on the roof ?

I've gone for the heated screen, so useful when out on business and staying overnight at hotels with no access to a big jug of warm water to defrost the screen. Didn't do heated washer jets because 50 / 50 screen wash should be sufficient to stop freezing up of screen wash.

Canton yes, well be spending significant time in the car. led ambient lighting for extra bling.

If you go Kessy which I didn't then on the SE L you might as well go the little extra for virtual peddle as this would be just as useful as keyless unlocking when you've got two hands full of shopping. Maybe next time for me.

And as mentioned, spare wheel instead of a can of foam!

I decided against the driver aids options, they'll make me a lazy driver who doesn't do over the shoulder checks and stuff like that.

And metallic paint...

Edited by Leeboy
  • Like 1