should i speck the canton upgrade or stick with standard ?

hi all im thinking of buying a scout but wondering should i opt for the canton upgrade as the vrs i recently drove sounded a bit tinny neaded more base what are your thoughts guys thanks gary

I have the VW version Dynaudio in my MK7 Golf.....................

:rock:  :rock:  :party:  :ninja:  :rock: ......................

bias?............................me?.....noooooo................. :rofl:

• Like 1

But made the mistake of going for the Symphony upgrade on our Octy 2. Both tweeters were angled towards the front - quite wrong. Hope our forthcoming Octy 3 with Canton will have better-angled tweeters - they should point up to the screen.

I'm very impressed with the sound of the Canton in my 3 day old Octy - both when playing flac, and when listening to DAB/FM

I've had mine nearly a year and I'm pleased with the Canton every time I consider it. Occasionally when I'm in someones else's car with "standard sound" I'm extra glad cos it sounds terrible in comparison. If you're into your music at all, even slightly, don't hesitate I would say.

Probably worth noting the newer MIB2 units are likely to sound a bit better.....Id wager Skoda have made it so after the complaints about frequency leveling on the MIB1.

I have MIB2 Discover Nav in my new GTD....still needs to run in a bit but sounds better than the MIB1 Amundsen in my Octy....that said I had an earler GTD with MIB1 and that sounded better too.

I think the Golf certainly has better (and more of it) sound insulation materials so thay might be part of the reason.

gazv70 was your VRS MY15 or MY16? I only ask as I had the use of a MY15 with Amundsen for the two weeks directly before my MY16 VRS was delivered and the difference on the balance and levels is very noticeable. The new MIB2 units are much improved. I regularly bang out a bit of Drum and Bass in the car and the sound is very impressive. Whack a bit of Deadmau5 on, turn it up and it's a very capable system. As far as factory fit goes. The MY15 set up is just plain wrong. And when heard back to back the difference is clear. So if it was a MY16 you drove and you're not happy, then fair enough. But if it wasn't (and by your "tinny" comment I doubt it was) I'd sample a MIB2 unit from an MY16 car first before shelling out.

Edited by Skodev
  • Like 1

gazv70 was your VRS MY15 or MY16? I only ask as I had the use of a MY15 with Amundsen for the two weeks directly before my MY16 VRS was delivered and the difference on the balance and levels is very noticeable. The new MIB2 units are much improved. I regularly bang out a bit of Drum and Bass in the car and the sound is very impressive. Whack a bit of Deadmau5 on, turn it up and it's a very capable system. As far as factory fit goes. The MY15 set up is just plain wrong. And when heard back to back the difference is clear. So if it was a MY16 you drove and you're not happy, then fair enough. But if it wasn't (and by your "tinny" comment I doubt it was) I'd sample a MIB2 unit from an MY16 car first before shelling out.

Thanks, when did MY 16 start? I'd guess it would be a production week number rather than a UK 1st registration date.

Thanks, when did MY 16 start? I'd guess it would be a production week number rather than a UK 1st registration date.

Cars built from week 22/late May 2015 have the new MIB2 infotainment.....bigger 6.5" screen, same res as Columbus, better graphics and processing power over MIB1....on Mk7 Golf you get three years live services thrown in (pair the car to a hotspot enabled phone via WiFi), also they retain the CD drive whereas MIB2 on the Octavia bar the columbus do not.

Difference isnt night and day between the two as the operating software is largely the same but so far finding its overall an improvement and far less buggy

• Like 1

Cars built from week 22/late May 2015 have the new MIB2 infotainment.....bigger 6.5" screen, same res as Columbus, better graphics and processing power over MIB1....on Mk7 Golf you get three years live services thrown in (pair the car to a hotspot enabled phone via WiFi), also they retain the CD drive whereas MIB2 on the Octavia bar the columbus do not.

Difference isnt night and day between the two as the operating software is largely the same but so far finding its overall an improvement and far less buggy

Thanks for a very informative reply. Must now add a Mk 7 GTi to the shopping list!

The answer is yes. Some DAB stations like Capital Xtra and iTunes via iPhone thru Media sound very good. I think if it's your car and you are going to keep it for a prolonged period you will regret not having it in the long run.

+1 for Canton.

If you set it up right too, it's a very impressive system for the money you'll pay as an upgrade. I remember upgrading my audio in my Mk1 Fabia vRS, and I paid £400 just for the head unit!!

Also, as a tip to anyone who uses Canton, if you select the sound to Front, or better still, the driver when you're on your own, the subwoofer is a lot more noticeable than just leaving it in standard mode. I know a few people have complained saying it isn't "bassy" enough, but if you get it set up right, it's excellent.

• Like 2

+1 for Canton.

If you set it up right too, it's a very impressive system for the money you'll pay as an upgrade. I remember upgrading my audio in my Mk1 Fabia vRS, and I paid £400 just for the head unit!!

Also, as a tip to anyone who uses Canton, if you select the sound to Front, or better still, the driver when you're on your own, the subwoofer is a lot more noticeable than just leaving it in standard mode. I know a few people have complained saying it isn't "bassy" enough, but if you get it set up right, it's excellent.

This is a very good point. I set mine up when I got it and then once I'd had the car for about 8/9 months, I reset it feeling more confident I knew what I should be hearing or at least wanting to hear.

I made several tweaks including bringing the subwoofer level up and directing the sound towards the front using the two balancing options and it made a massive difference. The sound really is very good once you get it right.

Is it the amp in the head unit, or the OEM speakers that are rubbish in the OEM system?

I'd be tempted to look at dynamat in the doors and a set of decent speakers rather than canton.

Will be a bit of both...

The amp in the head unit will only be 15-20W per channel at best, so upgrading the speakers would be a bit of a wasted task IMHO.

I used to fit audio in my youth...and one of the most important starting points is your head unit / amplifier, before you think about speakers.