Experience of the Canton audio system? How does it compare to standard?

DSP – Digital Sound Processor

A part of the amplifier, the DSP is designed to calculate algorithms used when processing digital audio signal. DSP parametrization is carried out at the end of the vehicle production line (End Of Line proces). During this procedure, the unit is loaded with parameters which are later used to process the audio signal. The parameters differ by type (limousine, combi) and the car's equipment (fabric or leather interior). The DSP processes signal for each speaker individually. Among other, the DSP calculates the VNS function (Vehicle Noise Cancellation). Based on the engine rotation speed and the vehicle speed, the equalization is modified in real time in order to eliminate the noise of the vehicle.

I'm not sure. Reading that description, it sounds to me like it is some sort of noise suppression system. It's reading engine revs and road speed and it modulates in real time - all the kind of things I'd expect to see for NC. Does it say anything about microphone(s) 'listening' to cabin noise? Typical systems cancel noise by creating an inverse wave to the ambient noise profile, so that the peaks and troughs of the two waves cancel each other out. The problem with trying to get this sort of system to work in a large open space (such as the Superb cabin) is that the waves from a given source (tyres, engine, wind noise from wing mirrors etc) arrive at each point in the cabin at a different time, so timing the 'inverse' cancelling waves from the speakers can only work optimally at one point in the cabin at any one time. Common sense dictates you want this point at or about the driver's head. So it's not unusual to have a monitoring mic somewhere close by to give some feedback/monitoring to the DSP.

As an aside, noise cancelling headphones can be far more effective, because the space for which they are trying to generate neutralising waves is much smaller/more focused and right next to the listeners ears; just not a great idea to be wearing them whilst driving :)

Has anyone with an L&K or Canton fitted as an option had a chance to play with the VNS yet?

Edited by Citigopher
  • Like 1

These words, added to other things I have been told verbally, lean me further to thinking it is indeed about the music, to put it crudely, drowning out the car as required.

A pity.

However, as to the efficacy of choosing the Canton system over standard, I would take it easily and without a thought. I mean for the money it is nothing, especially when you divide it into the weeks of likely ownership.  I chose the upgrade car audio in my MkII Superb and in a MkIII would do the same.  I suspect this time the difference between Canton and standard is wider than between the two systems on the old car.

As for what the electronics do in compensating for car noise, well that is a good thing in itself when listening to music or speech material on the road. I certainly wouldn't sneer at that in terms of what it is ( if that is all it is ).

Now, the future........

I do hope Skoda aren't locked into too long a contract with their current suppliers. I would be enormously pleased if they would get in bed with Harman Kardon and employ their Halo Sonic technologies in the car audio system for Superb. Take a look at the videos I posted above - it is exciting to contemplate this in your car.

If anyone here has channels to people who might be of influence at Skoda, please forward this thread to them, highlighting the discussion about noise cancellation actual, as imagined and wished for.

Sounds much more like a Mercedes feature. Maybe Audi, but Skoda? Agree that the description is talking about tweaks to the EQ, so likely to have little effect if you're not playing anything!

I guess the other way to approach this might be wearing noice-cancelling headphones. Wonder if there are any like the good old Jeklin floats?!

Edited by thewinelake

Sounds much more like a Mercedes feature. Maybe Audi, but Skoda? Agree that the description is talking about tweaks to the EQ, so likely to have little effect if you're not playing anything!

I guess the other way to approach this might be wearing noice-cancelling headphones. Wonder if there are any like the good old Jeklin floats?!

I would argue in reverse of this.

On the face of it, such a technology would seem a "luxury" feature, for luxury cars.

But perhaps this would be missing the point. These luxury cars "need" it less. The Superb is not a luxury class build of car, great car though it is.  Fundamentally, it isn't ever going to be an S Class. It could really benefit from having it.

This is where the sheer clever - "Simply Clever" - of Skoda equiping their cars with it would come in, in a giant killing way.

To achieve, electronically, most of what the likes of the S Class achieves in sonic isolation by being built the way it is and with all the expense that entails.

It therefore makes perfect sense to fit such an electronic system to a car that could really use it.

Already, Skoda Superbs appeal to people with the legroom, only bettered by the likes of lwb versions of; S Class, A8, 7 series, etc.

Legroom of a limo, almost, at an average car price, Skoda can say.

I suggest there could be a benefit to sales, by being able to claim, luxury class quiet for an average car price.

That would be awesome for Superb users and would truly be, Simply Clever.

• Like 1

I guess it's all a question of decibels!

Do reviews ever measure dba levels and the like? Would be interesting to see a table

http://elevatingsound.com/the-top-30-quietest-cars-a-cabin-noise-test-by-auto-bild/

And

http://www.auto-decibel-db.com

Edited by thewinelake

• 2 years later...

Who wanted Harman??? Interesting press release I just came across. Also, I suspect that in the UK we haven't been exposed to Canton as a brand. From what I can gather they're a high end audio company in their own right.

https://news.harman.com/releases/harman-and-canton-partner-up-to-deliver-tailored-high-end-audio-solution-for-the-new-skoda-kodiaq-6171645

I'm assuming Harman will therefore have helped with the system in my MY18 Superb L&K as well which is excellent.  

To return to the OP's question...

I've just moved up from an SII with standard audio to a SIII L+K with Canton. The difference in quality is significant. It will never be in the same league as high end hi-fi, but it's as good as anything I've previously had in Audi, Jag S type etc. Highly recommended. 

On 21/01/2018 at 10:41, Legfitter said:

Who wanted Harman??? Interesting press release I just came across. Also, I suspect that in the UK we haven't been exposed to Canton as a brand. From what I can gather they're a high end audio company in their own right.

https://news.harman.com/releases/harman-and-canton-partner-up-to-deliver-tailored-high-end-audio-solution-for-the-new-skoda-kodiaq-6171645

I'm assuming Harman will therefore have helped with the system in my MY18 Superb L&K as well which is excellent.  

Probably a damn good collaboration - Harman make some of the best higher end audio systems in my experience, even their mid-range brands like JBL are generally great.

Agree not many people have exposure to Canton as a brand in the UK - I actually have a TV soundstage by Canton and it’s utterly brilliant!