Oil Filter Socket

To the OP: yes, thatt looks right although if you can pop in and get them to try it on a filter it's better.

I just use mine for removal & tighten by hand

Invest in a good quality strap wrench.

I've got 2 good strap wrenches at home & couldn't get either in there.

I used big multi-grips before I bought the right tool

• Like 1

This is the type of strap wrench you'd need:

http://store.apextoolgroup.com/hand-tools/automotive-specialty/gearwrench-3529d-heavy-duty-oil-filter-strap-wrench-3-8-or-1-2-drive.html

Doesn't have a big handle sticking out sideways to get in the way.  Fits in very narrow spaces.  Use a 1/2" square drive socket extension bar rising vertically from the knuckle, and a ratchet on the top and clear of the confined space.

• Like 1

I didn't think the socket fitment would work on your oil filter?

If you have one of these then the 32mm socket will work...

watermarked_teon_skoda_fabia_service_man

But I thought this was yours?

23jigch.jpg

It is :)

Here's the part I meant: http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/tools/hand-tools/laser-oil-filter-cup-wrench-76mm

• Like 1

My bad, nor have I.  I've never removed an oil filter so I assumed they were a standard tool.

They are "standard" but filter specific. I was using them on Toyotas back in the 80s. You can buy a full kit quite cheaply these days.

http://i01.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/60037518075/30_pcs_Oil_Filter_Cap_Type_Wrench.jpg_220x220.jpg

I hadn't realised they'd gone back to this design! Surely they're more expensive to buy too?

Recently did an oil change on the motor home. That's got this old style filter on but it's massive. About 6" long and 4-5" across! (I am still talking about the filter by the way...)

23jigch.jpg

The 1980's just called. They want their "spill oil all over the engine canister filter" back.

Jesus christ, talk about a major step back from the cartridge filter used in the TDI engines.

There's a breech pin that actuates a drain back valve in the sump. You unscrew the filter 1/2-3/4 turn (if you have the sump plug out you can see an increased flow of oil) and wait a minute. You then unscrew the remainder of the way and lift the filter vertically and it won't drip. It's a really good system.

I've done my own oil change about 6 times now and never spilt any oil from the filter.

Maybe know what you are talking about before opening the cake hole?

Steve's Truck - I don't think they'll work.  You can't get them flat enough.  My "go-to" oil filter removal tool has been a set of 18" multigrips.  The TSI defeated them.  I conceded and bought the right tool.

Edited by brad1.8T