Footwell lights bulb replacing

I am currently changing the bulbs around the car to led and i'm struggling with the footwell lamp ,how on earth do you get the bulb out of the case i nearly took a hammer to it today and if anyone could recommend an ebay bulb would be great thanks ......

You need to pop the metal cover off the lamp (if fitted) remove the plug then use a screwdriver to push the old bulb out.

This type of LED is perfect and is what I fitted to my MKII

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x4LED-SMD-T10-W5W-501-168-5050-Car-Side-Bulb-Tail-Backup-Light-Pure-White-12V-/311416477863?hash=item4881de58a7

• Like 1

You need to pop the metal cover off the lamp (if fitted) remove the plug then use a screwdriver to push the old bulb out.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x4LED-SMD-T10-W5W-501-168-5050-Car-Side-Bulb-Tail-Backup-Light-Pure-White-12V-/311416477863?hash=item4881de58a7

Yep, those are the ones I fitted too. I found the front passenger one was the most difficult unit to get out. The LEDs are great at full illumination and much brighter than the original bulbs, but I've found they dim poorly and can flicker badly at 20%. Also, even at 20%, they're a bit too bright, unlike the originals. They're fantastic in the door and mirror puddle lamps though!
  • Like 1

Hey folks when u replace the regular bulbs with LEDs does it not give an error on the maxi dot or is there a way around that.

The ones shown from eBay above do not give any issues but expect the dodgy dimming problem I mentioned....

I replaced my footwell bulbs with these LEDs:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-X-Canbus-Error-Free-White-T10-5-SMD-5050-Interior-LED-Light-bulbs-W5W-194-168-/131516223285?hash=item1e9efa4f35

and while they looked very bright and white to start with they now appear to be pools of purple-ish light (ie. terrible). Together with my other LED bulb replacement problems I have concluded that I'll stick with standard bulbs everywhere! ;o)

• Like 1

Hey folks when u replace the regular bulbs with LEDs does it not give an error on the maxi dot or is there a way around that.

The interior lights aren't monitored. ;)

• Like 1

I was going to go with LED interior lighting but I think the warmer effect the normal bulbs have suit the ivory interior of my car. I know you can get warm white LEDs but can't see the point to just get the same effect as is already there. Plus with regard them not handling dimming very well....  I only have mine on 20% or possibly even 15%, I can't remember which, as having the ivory interior means any brighter and it's like having a second sun inside the car. :)

The only interior LEDs I have fitted are the two boot lights so as to brighten the boot up in the dark.

• Like 1

I was going to go with LED interior lighting but I think the warmer effect the normal bulbs have suit the ivory interior of my car.

Planning on making custom warm white leds  :), i can't find them anywhere ! (online isn't an option)

I know you can get warm white LEDs but can't see the point to just get the same effect as is already there.

battery life, and bulb life (less suffering for willbailey :p )

Plus with regard them not handling dimming very well.

i did test couple of diy bulbs on our w210 dome, no problems with auto dimming.

Planning on making custom warm white leds :), i can't find them anywhere ! (online isn't an option)

battery life, and bulb life (less suffering for willbailey :p )

i did test couple of diy bulbs on our w210 dome, no problems with auto dimming.

It's more the fact the footwell lights are running at a permanently dimmed state rather than just dimming as they turn off like the dome light does.

It's more the fact the footwell lights are running at a permanently dimmed state rather than just dimming as they turn off like the dome light does.

I usually do my led bulbs with passive components (only resistors and leds), i connect a potentiometer to the led bulb, connect it on the car, and while running (to test on the highest voltage) i start with highest resistance, and start lowering it till i reach the brightness i like, measure the resistance, and replace it with a normal resistor.

• 1 year later...

I've got standard bulbs but i fitted rear lights too under both front seats & that helps.

I am looking at replacing my interior lights with LED on my Estate.  Already done the tailgate with the Superskoda replacements which have made a vast improvement :-)  I have front footwell lights but don't seem to have rear footwell lights ?  Could anyone confirm if this is only on certain models or should be standard and are somehow switched off ?  Sorry if this is an obvious query, I am still getting to know the car!  If rear lights aren't standard I would be interested to know how these can be fitted, as mentioned earlier in this thread.  Many thanks.

The rear lights should be in the centre of the front seat base, right at the back edge, if they are not fitted then you will have either a rectangle or oval hole present in the metal seat base.

There is no option to turn just the rears off, so they are either not fitted, the bulbs are blown, or there is a broken wire.

It is easy enough to retro fit them and tap into the front footwell lights wiring loom.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply, I have now established that they aren't fitted at all, I wasn't sure where they would be but after reading your post I was out checking under the seats and found empty holes in the seat base...!  Not to worry, must be the poor mans model I have lol !  I wouldn't be too confident about tapping into the existing front wiring unless there are plugs already available, so will live without them.  At least I know its only the front lights I need to think about changing.  Cheers again.

• 2 years later...
On 14/10/2015 at 19:36, Gizmo said:

Hi ...I know this is an old post ...but just wondered if there was any particular "knack" to removing the metal cover?

13 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Yes use that small screwdriver and bend the corners of the cover slightly, they will straighten easily enough again. 

that's great ...just the info I was looking for thank you 

I have replaced all my interior lights with blue LEDs, 

Finding white footwell lights too bright and not really as good in creating any mood in the night, those dim to very nice level..

3 hours ago, trybar said:

I have replaced all my interior lights with blue LEDs, 

Finding white footwell lights too bright and not really as good in creating any mood in the night, those dim to very nice level..

I've just replaced all the interior with blue led too ...I've done this on all my cars over the years ...still have footwell bulbs to do in blue too ...as soon as my order turns up 

• 9 months later...

]To "EVERYBODY" - I just replace the "OEM" foot light bulbs with "LED" ones. For all four pieces you do not need any tools for disassemble. Only strong hands. The driver one and the two in the back side are almost easy to remove but the front passenger one is awful. For all four you need to touch with hands at the back and feel where exactly is the cable connector and push hard in the other end. When you push with hands in the back there is nothing to broke. For front passenger one you need to push very, very, very hard. My face get red from pushing hard. From about one hour now I think why this is made so hard. There is no engineer need for this. May be only to broke it when you disassemble and go to buy new one..