VRS has decided it doesn't much care for engine oil!

My VRS has decided that it doesn't like engine oil any more! I got home this evening, I swung into my car parking space and jumped out. I then noticed I'd left a trail of oil on the road! Oops.

Looked under the car and oil is raining from the undertray. No engine oil on the dipstick. I don't think it's run far with reduced oil, and I didn't get the oil warning light.

Skoka breakdown has been rung and will be with me in about an hour. Could be interesting.

Does any one know if I get to choose which dealer it goes to?

Matt

Update:

The Skoda Assistance man has been out and can't do anything. I put a bowl underneath the under tray which caught over 3 litres of oil in the hour it was there. Rest of the oil is on top of the under tray! He said there is little he could do as there's nothing obvious and removing the under tray would just make a big mess. There isn't any damage to the under tray so currently its a mystery as to why it has leaked. The chap said hadn't seen anything like it!

Its going to get recovered tonight, and I can still get to work tomorrow with a bit of running around/taking the girlfriend to work slightly early. They are going to drop off a replacement car tomorrow afternoon when I get home.

The car is also going to the dealer I have used for the two previous services, its not the closest but I could choose where it went :) Its also more convenient for me.

The chaps at Skoda Assist are being very good, and definitely keeping me in the loop :)

• Like 2

All the best for getting it sorted!

I'd imagine the sump plug could have failed, especially as it's drained pretty much all the oil, there's no other way that much oil could exit the engine in such a short space of time, unless the sump tray has cracked. Other than that maybe sump seal gasket, but the seal is relatively high up so the sump pan should retain most of oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Sump plug is probably the most likely source of the oil, but it was serviced at 18,900 miles and its now on 25,000 so its taken a while to work loose! If that's what it is of course.

I'm just glad it didn't run for long with oil coming out the bottom!

Hi

On a similar matter, on traveling home today from France, I got the oil low warning message, but as I was on the autoroute, it was difficult to stop an check! After 30 miles I was able to stop n check, and yes it needed to be topped up. Using the supplier oil, I topped up about 3/4 litre, and the alarm when out.

My VRS is only 18 months old, was serviced back in Feb, at 8,000 miles, it's on 14,000, and only used on long trips, just like my previous vehicles. In the last few years of owning new vehicles, I have never needed/forgotten to do the check of oil, so I was very surprised/disappointed that this should happen. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Steve

Steve, I'd say that oil consumption rate is perfectly normal, it will get better. I had to put about a litre in over the first 10,000, the second 10,000 it was about half that. Just don't forget to dip regularly, I'd hope that the sensor alarms a little before it gets critical, but certain don't rely on it.

Hi

On a similar matter, on traveling home today from France, I got the oil low warning message, but as I was on the autoroute, it was difficult to stop an check! After 30 miles I was able to stop n check, and yes it needed to be topped up. Using the supplier oil, I topped up about 3/4 litre, and the alarm when out.

My VRS is only 18 months old, was serviced back in Feb, at 8,000 miles, it's on 14,000, and only used on long trips, just like my previous vehicles. In the last few years of owning new vehicles, I have never needed/forgotten to do the check of oil, so I was very surprised/disappointed that this should happen. Anyone else had a similar problem?

Steve

Hi,

I haven't had to put much oil in at all, maybe half a litre at most over the last 25,000 miles. I do try and check fairly regularly, but I confess its not weekly now I know it doesn't use much.

Matt

Mine started dibbling oil out of the undertray too. I dropped the undertray off myself as its only held on with a few screws. The undertray was indeed full of oil so I mopped it all up and got underneath to see where it was coming from in the hope that I could just nip something up. Alas it was coming out of the flange for the oil pipes on the turbo which is obscured by the DPF/cat/EGR cooler. I called Skoda and as it was friday night beer o'clock I scheduled an appointment for the following day. The chap turned up and had a look but couldn't get to it so I dropped in into Skoda in Northampton. They changed the pipes but it didn't fix it so they changed the turbo! My usual tamed spanner man says he see's loads of these going wrong on Seats and VWs too and the pipe is just too short and stiff to accommodate movement of the turbo and it could do with a Dowty seal or suchlike...

My last mk7 GTD had its oil filter fitted incorrectly at its first service.....caused it to gradually lose a litre of oil over the sump tray and bottom end over the course of the next 4.5k miles.

It was only my oil light coming on then noticing that it was in fact dripping off the tray when parked on a slope that I came to notice something was wrong.

With the amount yours has lost though meb sounds as though something has come apart as others have suggested.

Tsi sump plug isn't covered by the under tray, TDI may well cover the sump as the under tray probably contains sound insulation?

If it was the sump plug I would expect it to empty in under a minute especially as they are just pop in quarter turn jobbies so are either in or out.

Let us know how it goes and hopefully they can fix it easily for you

Your right jules, TDI under tray has to be removed to see the sump plug

Got some pics from when I had mine on a lift

33799d7b4bd556ea62d0616d0b658b7b.jpg

de32f33fdd5973a1075d7f035a34a1ac.jpg

TDI Sump plug is different, needs a few turns to tighten it

Well, the long and short of it is that my car is now back home.

If your interested, the dealer said that the source of the leak was the sump plug that seems like it may not have been torqued up. The plug is now refitted and torqued and the oil refilled. Still no idea how it happened, but such is life. I can't fault Skoda's service with this, less than 24 hour turn around, the car transported to and from the dealer, and plenty of phone calls.

I have also got a courtesy car that I received this afternoon, and the hire agreement is until Tuesday so I get to use it all weekend now! :)

IMAG2130_zpsvz5abazg.jpg

Diesel Audi A5 Sportback S-Line Automatic with about 200 miles on it. I can't work out if its a slush box or a CVT but its nice enough to drive.

Actually, I have just done some research on Audi's website - it is a multitronic gearbox, which is Audi speak for a CVT

• Like 3

Sump plugs eh, can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Glad it was straightforward enough - very lucky to have gotten off lightly, as I doubt you'd have had many more minutes left.

A5 looks nice.

Gaz

Haha, indeed.

It definitely didn't have much longer left, I saw the oil drops today. They started about 300 yards from home so the timing was pretty good! If it can be good.

A5 is nice to look at and be in. Just not sure I love driving it, but I'll use it for my running about this weekend as I'll only pay the fuel used :) 

Right then, seeing as some of you want a review on the A5, i'll give you some of my thoughts.

Having done about 250 miles, I can say that I enjoyed driving it. It was smooth and quiet and rode very well. When making progress it would handle pretty well and turn in well, despite being a comfortable ride. It sat on the 18" alloys, with 245/45 tyres. It would accelerate pretty briskly to the slightly odd sensation of holding a set engine rpm as the road speed increased. I liked the navigation with the German phrases 'you will etc', but I didn't like the number of comments as it stopped the radio whilst it was instructing. But the maps were clear and easy to follow. The interior was very nice, well put together and no rattles/squeaks. On Sunday we went out with 4 adults in the car and there were no complaints of being squashed etc, despite the low roofline. The boot was much bigger than I was expecting too.

Bits I didn't like. I couldn't get a digital speed display on the dashboard like I can in the Octavia. I appreciate its not a deal breaker, but I do like the digital display.

It wasn't as quick as my VRS. I think it was the 150bhp version, and there is a 190bhp version (and more!) which would change that I think. Its probably slightly heavier too.

Overall, I didn't love it. But I think its a really good, comfortable cruising car, especially with the CVT gearbox.

• Like 2