SD card size

I think the usb power after ignition off is there by design. I suspect a lot of people will use it to charge their phones and tablets. On my mk ii Octavia the cigarette lighter remains powered after ignition. I use this to charge my phone after ignition if I'm in meetings or camping. Can be quite useful providing you remember to disconnect at some point.

I think the usb power after ignition off is there by design. I suspect a lot of people will use it to charge their phones and tablets. On my mk ii Octavia the cigarette lighter remains powered after ignition. I use this to charge my phone after ignition if I'm in meetings or camping. Can be quite useful providing you remember to disconnect at some point.

So...leaving a USB memory stick full of music permanently plugged in (as I do in my current car), will it have a negative effect on the battery in the new Superb?

Many thanks.

So...leaving a USB memory stick full of music permanently plugged in (as I do in my current car), will it have a negative effect on the battery in the new Superb?

Many thanks.

No - as I discovered, the USB port will power off after 30 seconds. The only thing I didn't check if this was after switching off the ignition or after locking (as I did both almost simultaneously when I was checking it).

I would  hope/expect it's after locking as you might want to continue listening to your USB music while sat in the car with the ignition off.

No - as I discovered, the USB port will power off after 30 seconds. The only thing I didn't check if this was after switching off the ignition or after locking (as I did both almost simultaneously when I was checking it).

I would  hope/expect it's after locking as you might want to continue listening to your USB music while sat in the car with the ignition off.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know whaht the two SD card slots with the Columbus can be used for ?

Can you put music on both ?

You can mix and match supported audio, video, images and vcf (contacts) on one or both SD Card slots.

If the images have GPS metadata you can use the image as a navigation destination.

Audio and video can be imported onto the internal drive (the "Jukebox").

The vcf files can be imported into navigation.

AFAIK you cannot transfer photos to the internal drive.

If all the files on a card are transferred to the Columbus internal drive, there's no further need to keep that card plugged in - unless you also have photos on the card.

Image files should not exceed 4 MegaPixels (2464 x 1632) for bmp, gif, png or 16 MegaPixels (4920 x 3264) for jpeg.

I have found the Columbus to be a bit hit-and-miss with images, often not displaying a thumbnail yet still able to display the full image.

Also consider that the native screen resolution of the Columbus 8" display is 800 x 480 (0.4 MegaPixel), so anything larger is scaled down and the larger file sizes are unnecessarily using up SD Card capacity.

Video should not exceed Standard Definition (DVD) resolution of 720 x 576 @ 25 fps (PAL) or 720 x 480 @ 30 fps (NTSC).

You can also use the SD Card to download updated maps, firmware, station logos, bluetooth updates and Personal POIs on your computer and update/transfer to Columbus.

Once the Columbus has been updated there is no purpose in keeping the card plugged in - it has served its purpose.

You should not mix multimedia files with these update files on the same card.

• Like 1

You can mix and match supported audio, video, images and vcf (contacts) on one or both SD Card slots.

If the images have GPS metadata you can use the image as a navigation destination.

Audio and video can be imported onto the internal drive (the "Jukebox").

The vcf files can be imported into navigation.

AFAIK you cannot transfer photos to the internal drive.

If all the files on a card are transferred to the Columbus internal drive, there's no further need to keep that card plugged in - unless you also have photos on the card.

Image files should not exceed 4 MegaPixels (2464 x 1632) for bmp, gif, png or 16 MegaPixels (4920 x 3264) for jpeg.

I have found the Columbus to be a bit hit-and-miss with images, often not displaying a thumbnail yet still able to display the full image.

Also consider that the native screen resolution of the Columbus 8" display is 800 x 480 (0.4 MegaPixel), so anything larger is scaled down and the larger file sizes are unnecessarily using up SD Card capacity.

Video should not exceed Standard Definition (DVD) resolution of 720 x 576 @ 25 fps (PAL) or 720 x 480 @ 30 fps (NTSC).

You can also use the SD Card to download updated maps, firmware, station logos, bluetooth updates and Personal POIs on your computer and update/transfer to Columbus.

Once the Columbus has been updated there is no purpose in keeping the card plugged in - it has served its purpose.

You should not mix multimedia files with these update files on the same card.

Thanks for a very comprehensive reply!

Have ordered two cards. Will have a play when they arrive.

HI everyone, 

Anyone worked out what's the maximum sd card sizes to work on the Columbus, Is it theoretically 2 x 256gb. What are folk experiencing with larger SD cards and what would you recommend ?I am planning to upgrade to Flac for all my music library and would appreciate the advice.

What a car!!

Max

HI everyone, 

Anyone worked out what's the maximum sd card sizes to work on the Columbus, Is it theoretically 2 x 256gb. What are folk experiencing with larger SD cards and what would you recommend ?I am planning to upgrade to Flac for all my music library and would appreciate the advice.

What a car!!

Max

I used a 128GB card with mostly 320 bitrate mp3 files, virtually filling the card. The Columbus displayed a message that there were too many files for it to pre-scan. As a result selecting some folders now gives a message about no usable files being found.

The old RNS510 Columbus had a folder content limit of 999 files and mine are all well below that.

Shouldn't be an issue with FLAC as, compared to mp3, the 10x file size equates to storing 1/10th the number of files.

I am about to start converting CD's to FLAC to take full advantage of the Canton system.  So that I can try and get it right first time, how many files can I store on the card and how many folders without hitting problems with the system.

...how many files can I store on the card and how many folders without hitting problems with the system.

The mib2 Columbus manual doesn't specify any file/folder limits. Having looked at the files on the 128GB SD Card I mentioned in #15 it looks like the total file limit is about 10,000 (any more than that then the overspill is not accessible).

The manual does say that you can put up to 10,000 files on the internal drive. As that would be almost impossible to achieve given the size of the internal drive, I would assume they've quoted that figure based on the limit the Columbus can synchronise.

So if you're mostly using mp3 files then there's little point in going higher than a 64GB SD Card, which can hold about 9,000 high quality mp3 files.

If you're primarily using FLAC then a 128GB SD Card can hold about 4,000 tracks - equivalent to about 330 CD discs.

I don't think the number of folders should be an issue for the Columbus, but you'll probably want to nest them as navigating a scrolling list of 300+ folders will be a nightmare. I've nested folders 4 sub-folders deep without problem. Even the old Columbus could navigate to a depth of 7 subfolders.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I've a related query, please forgive ignorance of terminology for Skoda radios etc as (when it arrives) I will be on my first Skoda.

Due to Company Car budget I have just scraped onto the owner's register, getting a 'S' spec car.  This only has the Swing radio, but I believe it still has the two SD card slots in the glovebox.  As (I assume) I don't get the Columbus/Adumsen gear listed above, does anyone know if the SD card type/size details discussed above apply to my car? 

I'm needing to order an SD card for one of my sons pretty soon so would like to order one (or two) for me at the same time to save postage, but don't want to rush into something and get the wrong one.

Car is down for a BW1 so should get it late Jan, therefore can wait til then if needed, but wondered if anyone with a manual might have the details.

Thanks for reading.

Matt

• 8 months later...

I had an interesting problem. Took out a 64GB microsd card from my android phone, to be used in the car (MY2016 Superb) with amundsen unit. Previously I had a 32GB card in it, but it was getting a bit small. So formatted the 64GB card with NTFS, put it in the car, and got SD card error message. Tried with formatting it to FAT32 (with some third party tool on windows) and also exFat (built in windows disk management tool) and same error. Then I deleted the partition, and created a new one, half the size, 32GB, and formatted to 32GB. Kind of expected the error again, but this actually worked. So I again deleted the partition and created full one, 64GB, again formatted as NTFS, and this works now.

So I guess the partition type that was created by android phone was not compatible with the amundsen unit. It was possible to format it, and use it in windows computer without any problem, but there was something that caused problems with the amundsen. 

Bottom line, if you get problems with a microsd card not working in the amundsen (possibly also other units), then try to not only format the card, but first to delete and recreate the partition, and then format it.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am running a 256 1000x Lexar in my Columbus with no problems.

I've also bought a Lexar 256 GB 1000x but still the Columbus is claiming that the number of files is too big in order to import all of them.

In fact if I browse inside some folders these result to be empty even if there should be some mp3's or FLAC's.

So I wonder if the max file limit is still set to 10000? l4wrence how many files do you have on your SD card?

Do you think this limit of number of files can be overcome in a future update of the Columbus operating system?

Thanks for your answers!

I only have about 1,500 files on my card. It's a mix of 320 mp3 and mkv movie files. Sounds like you've gone over the allowable limit for the number of files (not sure of the exact limit but 10,000 sounds about right). Who is to say if this limit will be increased in future (only Skoda bods will know) but for the time being you'll have to reduce the number of files on your card.

• 2 months later...

Hello people. Picked up my new superb L & Kate before Xmas and still trying to get my head round all the features. Now I played a dvd from disc and it worked fine and downloaded a few films onto sd card in m4v file and it didn't work, so I changed them all to mp4 format and still no success. Anybody got any tips, or am I missing something? Cheers people.

• 1 month later...

I'm just getting to grips with this new car, and the "infotainment" centre is taking the bulk of my time. So, SD cards...

I bought a 256 Gb SanDisk Ultra card. My recommendation is: don't.

The manual says 1,000 files max: "With more than 1,000 tracks in the folder only the first 1,000 tracks with the oldest creation date are displayed." I have read here 10,000 files, but I kept getting "limit reached" warnings from the system. It seems to me file count rather than file size that matters. So, if you're using a 256 Gb card, load as many lossless, hi-res files as you can. If you load mp3's, you'll run out of usability real quick. And, it seems to be file count, not folder count.

I concentrated on .WAV and .flac formats. In the end, I managed to load 204 Gb on the 256 Gb card that the system will read. In fact, it said I had reached the limit, but I couldn't find any "file not loaded" notices.

On the other hand, I bought a 128 Gb SanDisk Ultra SD card, loaded that in the Columbus, and it had no problems at all.

Although the Columbus system will read a 256 Gb card no problem, I would stick to a max size of 128.

My tuppence worth.