Electric window switches wrong way round

SnrTKM7

I've got me self a vrs and for some reason on the drivers side controls for the front 2 electric windows are the wrong way round.. hard to explain but the button which should do the drivers side window actually does the passengers side, and then vice versa for the other button. not only this but for switch which controls the drivers window, up is down and down is up. but for the passenger its normal?? 

Very confusing i know but any advice or which bits i need to replace?? thanks 

Probably just been wired arse over tit when someone has had the switch out, although if I remember rightly it is a pluggable affair.

Have there been any other mods done to the electrics on that side? Are the electric mirrors working the right way around?

Take out the window switch and see if the plug/wiring has been bodged. If it looks ok, Get a new/good used switch and swap it out to double check its not the switch that's buggered. I got one last year for the passenger side and it wasn't Dear.

Lennie

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

Lower the windows with the switch and when there down still hold the button for a few seconds, raise the windows again with the switch and again hold the switch up even though the windows have closed. you'll hear a clicking noise, his everdently resets the window switches 

Give it a go, might work

• Like 1

Lower the windows with the switch and when there down still hold the button for a few seconds, raise the windows again with the switch and again hold the switch up even though the windows have closed. you'll hear a clicking noise, his everdently resets the window switches 

Give it a go, might work

Gave it my best shot but unfortunately got nothing, cheers anyhow

Probably just been wired arse over tit when someone has had the switch out, although if I remember rightly it is a pluggable affair.

Have there been any other mods done to the electrics on that side? Are the electric mirrors working the right way around?

Take out the window switch and see if the plug/wiring has been bodged. If it looks ok, Get a new/good used switch and swap it out to double check its not the switch that's buggered. I got one last year for the passenger side and it wasn't Dear.

Lennie

Had it apart and all electrics look visually ok, electric mirrors are working as they should. Doesnt seem to be any bodging so looks like a replacement plug n play

I've had this - think it needs to be reset using the key in the door routine to open and close the windows.  Lock car then unlock with key and hold in the unlock position.  Then do same to lock and hold in the lock position....   either that or one of the motors is on it's way out - drivers usually!

• Like 1

Are there two plugs on the bottom of the switch or one? If its two, swap them over

I've had this - think it needs to be reset using the key in the door routine to open and close the windows.  Lock car then unlock with key and hold in the unlock position.  Then do same to lock and hold in the lock position....   either that or one of the motors is on it's way out - drivers usually!

Just gave this a go. when the key is held in the unlock position only the passenger window goes down. however when held in the lock position the passenger side comes back up but the drivers window goes down. What part do i need chaps?

I can't even look at mine to check the design of the switch as its in the shop for head gasket, so I am flying blind on this. It sounds like the switch plug is on backwards. Was it like this when you bought it?

I can't even look at mine to check the design of the switch as its in the shop for head gasket, so I am flying blind on this. It sounds like the switch plug is on backwards. Was it like this when you bought it?

Yes i've had the car now for a couple months but the previous owner who had it for the previous 4 years i believe said it has been like it since then but he never bothered to fix it but it annoys me too much now. i can take a photo if it helps?

What year is your car? Trying to remember if the drivers side switch is built into a unit which also houses the central locking switch or whether it is two separate switch units. If its 2 separate units, check the plugs hasn't been mashed in backwards. If it hasn't or it is all one unit, try a new switch.

Other than plugging vcds into it and telling the window to open and close through the laptop to see if it does it correctly, that's the only thing I can think of. If it had only been one problem and not the back to front problem too I could come up with other ideas, but that's all I can come up with.

Lennie

It isn't possible to put the plug in the wrong way due to the socket design.

te6475755.jpg

That's what I thought, knew it had a clip but couldn't remember if it was shaped too. Skip the plug then, unless you know someone with vcds(not even sure if the window operation can be done on the Fabia. I know it can on the caddy), then change the switch mate. Easiest thing to try really.

I faintly remember someone posting a (long/involved/detailed) reset procedure for the electric windows, probably in the last 3 or 4 months.  Early attempts to search for it haven't had any success though.  I seem to remember that this crossing over NS/OS of function and up/down function was all potentially sorted by this resetting, but I might be making this up?

Anyone younger than me remember that post, or who might have posted it?

I think it was copied/pasted out of some official paperwork, but again, that might be false memory.

The switches aren't wired to the motors, they just send a request to the control unit to raise or lower the window.  the control unit is interpreting the requests wrongly, I'd start with disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes to reboot the control units.

The switches aren't wired to the motors, they just send a request to the control unit to raise or lower the window.  the control unit is interpreting the requests wrongly, I'd start with disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes to reboot the control units.

Had the battery disconnected the other week for about 30 mins when i was doing some stereo wiring and still occurring since

Mine are acting weird as well, when the passenger one is halfway down and you press to go up, it does then goes down.

Then sometimes after this it won't go back up till I've turned the ignition on/off. Sure drivers side went it down once as well.

I've replaced the switch with a new one off eBay (not oem), but the issue is the same.

I was gonna replace passenger switch next then then regulator if that didn't work.

Handbook page 48 " Automatic closing/opening does not operate"

"Turn the key in the lock of driver door to the closing position and hold it there until all windows are closed"

"release the key"

"Insert the key again and turn to the closing position for about 3 seconds"

So both resetting operation require the key to be turned to the closing/locking position.

(Click the thumbnail for full screen)

post-108942-0-43631200-1446148637_thumb.jpg

Edited by ilikeradios
  • Like 1