Real World MPG figures

1 hour ago, edwards said:

I am in the fortunate position that I do so little mileage (8k a year) that I really don't care what MPG I am getting :)

TBH neither much do I.  I've barely done 10k miles in almost a year but when I drive down to work every fortnight I see little point in playing silly buggers on the A1/A19 as both, around the Teesside area are heavily policed and/or awash with camera vans.  We even have one that's out on a night. :@

Most of the time, I'm barely seeing 25MPG 

Edited by penguin17

Most recent screen shot from 2016 190 TDI Combi, manual, 2wd.

Calculated average over 11,000 miles is 52mpg, mixed driving, rural, motorway, school runs etc.  Computer generally seems to be within 1mpg of actual calculation.

IMG_20190205_085857.jpg

I've had my car 7 months 2016 2.0 TSI 220.

The car is so awful on fuel the best I have got was 46mpg when I first bought it in Wakefield and travelled back to London and put the adaptive cruise control on at 70mph. Dual carriageway cruising 40-50mph I get 36-39mpg

Anything in and around town has been 23mpg or less regardless of how I drive and I drive in eco mode and my green score shows 100% and especially in the past two months I am only getting 15-18mpg around town cruising no traffic. Honestly this car is horrible on fuel.

1 hour ago, RCW89 said:

The car is so awful on fuel the best I have got was 46mpg when I first bought it in Wakefield and travelled back to London and put the adaptive cruise control on at 70mph. Dual carriageway cruising 40-50mph I get 36-39mpg

Anything in and around town has been 23mpg or less regardless of how I drive and I drive in eco mode and my green score shows 100% and especially in the past two months I am only getting 15-18mpg around town cruising no traffic. Honestly this car is horrible on fuel.

I mean this with the greatest of respects, but you don't have digital feet do you?! 

Then again, if you're getting 100 on the green score, I would have to assume you have normal pedal inputs! 

My 272 isn't exactly economical, but,  even with town driving, I get mid to high 20s. Are they short journeys? 

I do not use stop start on mine.

I'll see high 30s on a run. Average is 32. And I'm not gentle with mine once the oil is up to temperature. 

Something doesn't sound quite right here. What are your tyre pressures at?

3 hours ago, RCW89 said:

I've got the same car and average 30-31mpg long term with mixed driving. Eco is pointless in my experience. Might be worth getting it checked out. 

Honest John user average says 36mpg, but I've never seen anything like this except on a motorway run. 

It was cheaper to lease and insure than the 190 diesel and with petrol being 10ppl more I don't think I'm paying much more monthly for the petrol version. 

16 minutes ago, TomW80 said:

I've got the same car and average 30-31mpg long term with mixed driving. Eco is pointless in my experience. Might be worth getting it checked out. 

Honest John user average says 36mpg, but I've never seen anything like this except on a motorway run. 

It was cheaper to lease and insure than the 190 diesel and with petrol being 10ppl more I don't think I'm paying much more monthly for the petrol version. 

The engineer at my girlfriend's bus garage also has same car and also gets 30-35mpg mixed driving but mostly in and around town. So I knew something was wrong with my car a few months back I tried everything, tyre pressures, different fuels, different driving modes, emptying everything out of the car. Infact if I put my foot down it is hardly any different than if I drive like Mrs daisy I have inc pics below. Your right eco mode makes zero difference however I like the way it changes gears in eco mode as it is always a gear higher than in normal mode at town speeds which simulates the way I drive a manual car. Excellent machine though aside from the terrible economy I am getting. Half tank is giving me 150 miles (range shows 175miles however I never get that).

20190123_092645.jpg

20190123_112753.jpg

20190123_092701.jpg

Edited by RCW89

Somebody siphoning your fuel?  

I would be getting that checked out under warranty its so far away form what most of use see:

IMG_20190209_165042.jpg

I agree with the get it checked advice. I average mid 30's poodling about. Can get into low 40's on a long, steady run on dual carriageway or motorway. Yours seems so low in comparison to others on here.

As a point of interest I think that green percentage thing is a complete waste of time; I have never seen anything above ca 45 on mine!! And yet my fuel consumption is way better than yours. What is that all about? Might be telling you something about your fuel management systems?? I dont know how/what it measures so might be a wild goose statement but just a thought.   

I dont use eco mode or stop start as a rule. Like you I may use eco mode for a slightly smoother ride in slow moving stop start but not as a rule.

Remember that in eco mode you are still using fuel at tick over rate when coasting whereas in other drive modes you use no fuel when your foot is off the accelerator (whilst moving that is).

Edited by Sagalout
typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Markbro said:

Maybe the average speed of 10mph over 36 miles is the reason! 

Except my average speed is anything but 10mph!! Even when I am on the motorway my average speed reads low!! 

3 weeks ago I went from my home to Dover cliffs which is 84 miles. We went early one Sunday morning around 8am the roads were dead and I mean dead!!! My average mpg that whole trip was 36mpg mixed between 30mph A roads, 50mph average speed check dual carriageway and 70mph motorway/dual carriageway and yet my average speed came up at 35mph I was like wtf? How is that possible. Where I live is mostly 30mph and there isn't alot of traffic and I avoid driving in peak hours so my average speed shouldn't be anywhere near 10 should be alot higher. Most of the time I use my car aswell it is actually on longer drives, as most of the week I am driving buses and have free bus pass and I work 3 miles from home so no need to take the car that's why I switched from the diesel Passat I had to a petrol superb as I don't force the car that much anymore. However when I am driving from home to wherever, it just drinks. I will have the car booked in to my local Skoda dealer when they have a courtesy car for me I called them recently and they kept telling me they have no courtesy cars available for a couple weeks as they are fully booked up and tbh this is same sort of issue I had when I had my Passat aswell. However my Passat was very good on diesel.

5 hours ago, boydeee said:

I mean this with the greatest of respects, but you don't have digital feet do you?! 

Then again, if you're getting 100 on the green score, I would have to assume you have normal pedal inputs! 

My 272 isn't exactly economical, but,  even with town driving, I get mid to high 20s. Are they short journeys? 

I do not use stop start on mine.

I'll see high 30s on a run. Average is 32. And I'm not gentle with mine once the oil is up to temperature. 

Something doesn't sound quite right here. What are your tyre pressures at?

Trust me when I floor it makes hardly any difference. As you  can see my score was still 88 when I was flooring it and I was getting 16mpg and the temperature was 2°c. 

what really got my attention was when I looked on here and saw what you guys are getting and also when I spoke with the engineer at my GFs bus garage has the same car and he lives 5 miles from the garage and trust me 80% of that is 20mph limits with speed humps and he goes to and from work 5 days a week and his economy is averwge 28-35mpg he showed me on trip computer and told me that I need to get my car to Skoda asap.  I just wonder what the first owner did to it, possibly the engine wasn't run in properly I don't know but I just in general don't seem to have luck with cars.

The shortest distance I generally drive (I try to avoid really short distances) is around 4 miles 20minute drive all of which is 30mph roads and that is to visit my mum that's when the average speed shows 10mph. When it just cannot be, also I let the car warm up for about 4-5 mins and warm down for about 4-5mins. I also almost always drive in eco mode with stop start activated. My tyre pressure are 35psi even when I lowered them to 32-33 psi makes no difference. If the car is loaded or not doesn't seem to make any difference. Only thing that makes a difference is if I go on a very long drive and stick the car in ACC 40-70mph and the economy grows anything that is town speed 20-30mph it just drops doesn't matter how long I drive for could be 20 miles with minimum stopping and as I said I avoid driving in peak hours. I am a bus driver and I hate sitting in traffic when I am getting paid for it so I am not going to do it when I am paying for it. I understand that my Passat was a diesel and manual 190PS but doing fairly short trips around town I was averaging 38-40mpg and I used to put my foot down in that. I don't put my foot down in this unless I am on open roads.

The car is getting booked into Skoda for them to have a look at it anyway. If they tell me nonsense about nothing is wrong with it I am just going to sell it I can't be paying £200+ a month for petrol it's just stupid.

Edited by RCW89
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, RCW89 said:

Except my average speed is anything but 10mph!! Even when I am on the motorway my average speed reads low!! 

3 weeks ago I went from my home to Dover cliffs which is 84 miles. 

How long did it actually take, if it took about 2 1/2 hours then 36 mph would be about right.  

Not meaning to teach egg sucking but 60 mph is 1 mile per  minute  so at an average of 60 MPH, so 84 miles would take 84 mins. 

If you can get these figures in your head and the actual mileage per tank, brim to brim , you have something "real" to take to the service department.

Have just read the bit about your warm up and down routine, just get in and drive and then turn it off. I think that might be your problem.

TSI 2.0 220ps - all refills of 2018:

l/100km;  MPG.uk

12,1 23,3
11,8 24,0
11,2 25,3
12,4 22,8
12,0 23,4
11,5 24,5
8,8 31,9
10,1 28,0
9,8 28,9
11,1 25,5
11,4 24,7
10,5 27,0
7,4 37,9
9,3 30,3
10,1 28,0
7,4 38,0
9,4 30,2
7,8 36,4
8,8 32,2
8,6 32,7
8,2 34,6
8,5 33,1
9,5 29,8
12,6 22,3
8,1 34,8
7,3 38,8
9,8 28,8
9,5 29,8
9,0 31,4
10,8 26,1
11,5 24,7
12,0 23,5
12,9 21,9
9,2 30,8
11,3 24,9
10,1 27,9
13,2 21,4
12,6 22,4
13,3 21,3
12,3 23,0
9,5 29,7
12,3 22,9

avg:

There’s got to be something wrong ^^^^^^^

I’m a hypermiler type and our C4 Picasso petrol shows an average 5.2/100 over the last 9999kms @~70 kph (close to 55mpg imp) using E10.

Basically 80-90 Kph motorway cruising in a relatively large (frontal area) car.

Considering it’s size I’m staggered at just how efficient it is.

Edited by Ryeman

^^^

numbers on beginning and end are winter, when in the city mode only

plus ~15 minutes auxiliary heater twice a day.
but high number in the middle were few happy hours on the highway

with average speed 160 kmh and several times over 200 kmh :)

and yes, that numbers calculated from filled fuel, not by optimistic car's computer

22 minutes ago, MartiniB said:

^^^

numbers on beginning and end are winter, when in the city mode only

plus ~15 minutes auxiliary heater twice a day.
but high number in the middle were few happy hours on the highway

with average speed 160 kmh and several times over 200 kmh :)

and yes, that numbers calculated from filled fuel, not by optimistic car's computer

I’ve found the fill to fill checks backup the digital display much to my surprise.  I’m now a fan of small turbos with diesel like behaviour.

In Australia diesel doesn’t make sense anymore unless you’re into heavy towing.

10 hours ago, Bud said:

How long did it actually take, if it took about 2 1/2 hours then 36 mph would be about right.  

Not meaning to teach egg sucking but 60 mph is 1 mile per  minute  so at an average of 60 MPH, so 84 miles would take 84 mins. 

If you can get these figures in your head and the actual mileage per tank, brim to brim , you have something "real" to take to the service department.

Have just read the bit about your warm up and down routine, just get in and drive and then turn it off. I think that might be your problem.

I've only been doing the warm up and warm down in the cold winter days and doing shorter trips. 

When it had the car throughout the summer I never did that but my average then was only 23. The fact of matter is nothing I have tried seems to work only going on long drives at 40+ mph for a prolonged returns anything above 30mpg

Btw the journey to Dover at the time I did it took 1 hour 51,  Not 2 hours 30. I filled up 3/4 tank and I had a range of 260 miles by the time I got back to London I had 60 miles remaining and I hit minimal traffic that day. The lowest speed I travelled at was 23 through the blackwall tunnel the rest was 30-70. It was just a nice Sunday morning cruise ( I actually left the house at 0723 and arrived at 0914) with the Mrs and then I came back before all the traffic started in the blackwall tunnel. 

Edited by RCW89

So if you did 84 miles in under 2 hrs your average speed has to be greater than 42 mph, not 35 mph.

All seems wrong somewhere, your 100% green score @09:26  seems like me to be only 3 mins after starting the engine have you moved the car?  Do you always fill the tank to full?

Take the car for a run mixed roads with different speed limits, straight into driving not warm up,  and then take the shots of the screens, green score, long term, since start and refuel and see what they show as it an be confusing in distance to run when different screens are reviewed.

At the end of the day all that really matters is how much you are putting in and how far that is getting you.  I fill to first click and expect to get around 450 miles.  If you are just chucking in 10/20/30 quid then you range will reflect that reduced range. 

Nevertheless I would be taking it in to get looked at, but the  more evidence you have and can tell them why and what you think is wrong using your driving experience  and knowledge of others from here, the more likely you are to get a good response.

Have a look here: 

Edited by Bud
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, facet edge said:

I gave up looking at the green score years ago....,.

+1. I wrote a jokey post about green score a while back, but the serious point was that I've found the green score to be inversely proportional to consumption. As such I also disregard it.

@Bud Makes some excellent points. I'm always conscious of oil temp on the car but I do not let it idle to warm up. I get in and drive and wait til it's warm before opening the taps. Letting it idle is not good for it, certain areas of the engine will remain cold as the oil hasn't had a chance to get round it properly. Not to mention the gearbox will be chilly too 

7 hours ago, Bud said:

So if you did 84 miles in under 2 hrs your average speed has to be greater than 42 mph, not 35 mph.

All seems wrong somewhere, your 100% green score @09:26  seems like me to be only 3 mins after starting the engine have you moved the car?  Do you always fill the tank to full?

Take the car for a run mixed roads with different speed limits, straight into driving not warm up,  and then take the shots of the screens, green score, long term, since start and refuel and see what they show as it an be confusing in distance to run when different screens are reviewed.

At the end of the day all that really matters is how much you are putting in and how far that is getting you.  I fill to first click and expect to get around 450 miles.  If you are just chucking in 10/20/30 quid then you range will reflect that reduced range. 

Nevertheless I would be taking it in to get looked at, but the  more evidence you have and can tell them why and what you think is wrong using your driving experience  and knowledge of others from here, the more likely you are to get a good response.

Have a look here: 

This is my point exactly. My average speed could not have been 35mph just like when it shows my average speed as 9/10mph most of the time that just cannot be as I am not always sitting in traffic infact most of the time I am driving slightly above 30. 

Also as far as I have noticed the greenscore measures 3 mins at a time as if u look at my screenshot @ 11.27 when my score is 88 is also shows only for the last 3 minutes and I had been driving alot longer than that as I had mostly been driving between 0926 - 1127. As I had errands to run that morning the only time I stopped was when I went shopping and I was in the supermarket for 40 minutes within that time.

Also that figure in the pic I never see that not even on that trip to Dover where alot of the time I was sat on cruise @ 50 - 70mph where I got upto 38mpg and that was 70 miles. Being in cruise control is where my mpg really rises aswell.

Regarding full tank I don't always fill up full tank normally around 50 litres but if I am going on a long drive I fill up full tank and I get around 340 miles on a tank.

The main problem i have is anywhere that is not dual carriageway or constant 40mph+ my fuel economy sucks. I could drive from one side of London to another using 30mph roads and the best I'd get is 21-23mpg other than that it is 18/19mpg.

13 hours ago, RCW89 said:

This is my point exactly. My average speed could not have been 35mph just like when it shows my average speed as 9/10mph most of the time that just cannot be as I am not always sitting in traffic infact most of the time I am driving slightly above 30. 

Also as far as I have noticed the greenscore measures 3 mins at a time as if u look at my screenshot @ 11.27 when my score is 88 is also shows only for the last 3 minutes and I had been driving alot longer than that as I had mostly been driving between 0926 - 1127. As I had errands to run that morning the only time I stopped was when I went shopping and I was in the supermarket for 40 minutes within that time.

Also that figure in the pic I never see that not even on that trip to Dover where alot of the time I was sat on cruise @ 50 - 70mph where I got upto 38mpg and that was 70 miles. Being in cruise control is where my mpg really rises aswell.

Regarding full tank I don't always fill up full tank normally around 50 litres but if I am going on a long drive I fill up full tank and I get around 340 miles on a tank.

The main problem i have is anywhere that is not dual carriageway or constant 40mph+ my fuel economy sucks. I could drive from one side of London to another using 30mph roads and the best I'd get is 21-23mpg other than that it is 18/19mpg.

Edit* I was driving between 0916 - 1127. I took the first pic 10 mins into my journey.

Edited by RCW89