Actual Adblue usage

Obscuredavid

I suppose cutting the bottom off does mean there is more risk of spillage though, even if using a funnel?

What would be good would be like an extension hose so that you could fill from outside the boot. I'm pretty careful but that would be better.

I'm coming up to 6k. miles so expecting the warning light any day now. Do fairly lowish miles now so refilling the bottle will do fine for me.

I have looked through the interweb and adblue seems to be around £8.50 per 1.5L,

is this to make up for the current low diesel prices?

I have just found 10l Green Chem adblue *with spout* £15.99 free postage Amazon

Apparently the special funnel is priced around £50

Edited by gumdrop

My 2016 Yeti is back at the dealership for the second time in its first 800 miles due the AdBlue system going crazy! It keeps dropping the range from 4000miles to 650 and saying 'no restart', ruined what was a great experience with the 2.0tdi 150ps SE Business model, not sure i want the car back now!

Why would you need a refractometer?

Also all adblue fillers are the same. The greenchem one only fits the 4L container which is the price you mentioned

It does say; Precision refractometer suitable for measuring Urea concentration in Adblue® diesel exhaust fluid and will also measure anti-freeze strength.

So does adblue vary? as someone said one particular brand gave less miles per litre than other brands.

The 1500 mile warning came on at about 5100 miles, it’s the 2.0 and has been averaging about 49-50 MPG. My son gets a good discount at Halfords nearly 50% off the list price of their 4 L Adblue kit. It comes with the correct nozzle and it unscrews so you could top the bottle up without cutting it.

The 1500 mile warning came on at about 5100 miles, it’s the 2.0 and has been averaging about 49-50 MPG. My son gets a good discount at Halfords nearly 50% off the list price of their 4 L Adblue kit. It comes with the correct nozzle and it unscrews so you could top the bottle up without cutting it.

This link will download a PDF from the "AdBlue4you" website that contains some really interesting and informative information about AdBlue use.

Useful info. there Urrell.

One minor technical error though in saying that Euro 6 engines need SCR with Adblue.

Yes I like their wording -

the SCR system and AdBlue will become vital to meet the Euro 6 standards

Ford have managed to get their cars to Euro 6 without Adblue.
Edited by leaky5

As well as Skoda of course with some of their engines.

One would hope that all manufacturers would over time, come up with better technical solutions than keep adding ever more complex "bodges" to their engines, fuel and exhaust systems to meet the regulations.  

Not easy I know, and will probably be overtaken by the emerging alternative technologies at some point once the costs have come down to acceptable levels for the general buying public.

It does say; Precision refractometer suitable for measuring Urea concentration in Adblue® diesel exhaust fluid and will also measure anti-freeze strength.

So does adblue vary? as someone said one particular brand gave less miles per litre than other brands.

It was me who mentioned lower range on car plan.

You don't need a refractometer.  Just put it in and forget about it until the next alert.  You also don't have to panic and fill it as soon as you get the warning.  It's only sub 600 miles you need to really think about it, and as soon as that hits zero it won't restart until the tank is completely refilled.

I've got the 2.0 110PS and at nearly 6k. miles the warning light hasn't come on yet. As per other posts I've had a look in the MFD but mine doesn't have the Adblue box to tick for the remaining mileage like some do. Would be useful/nice to know the remaining mileage rather than just the warning light.

My wife is using the Yeti on Thursday so I've warned her the light might come on but don't worry! 

I'll get that kit in readiness - almost looking forward to the first fill now! Have you used the kit yet and if so was the nozzle a good, leak free fit?

I've got the 2.0 110PS and at nearly 6k. miles the warning light hasn't come on yet. As per other posts I've had a look in the MFD but mine doesn't have the Adblue box to tick for the remaining mileage like some do. Would be useful/nice to know the remaining mileage rather than just the warning light.

My wife is using the Yeti on Thursday so I've warned her the light might come on but don't worry! 

I'll get that kit in readiness - almost looking forward to the first fill now! Have you used the kit yet and if so was the nozzle a good, leak free fit?

The kit was easy to use, the fill point is down in a lttle section of the boot on its own. The nozzle does not open until inserted and once removed I only notice a tiny amount of Adblue right down near the base of the tank tube and as there is a very tight rubber cap up in the boot floor I did not worry about this.

Can you add some ad blue but not fill the tank when it is convenient rather than when forced to? What happens if the tank isn't completely filled?

I only added 4 L to mine, the warning has gone off and I have another 4 L ready for next time it happens.

I suspect topping up before the warning would cause no problems.

But after that (from the manual)
""Checking the level, The AdBlue® level is automatically monitored.
With too little AdBlue® in the tank the distance that can be driven with the remaining
AdBlue® amount is shown in the instrument cluster display.

AdBlue level too low.
At least 4.5 litres of AdBlue® should be replenished, otherwise, after covering
the displayed distance no engine start is possible.""

Can you add some ad blue but not fill the tank when it is convenient rather than when forced to? What happens if the tank isn't completely filled?

I was thinking about doing that myself. But I guess it will probably be better to wait and get the whole 4 litres in.

As I said above, it's a pity mine doesn't have the mileage counting down in the MFD like some do. A mini display like the fuel gauge would be good.

Whilst the warning (like the screen wash warning) does the job, if that for the Adblue was faulty it could leave you stranded. A gauge/display would give some comfort but for some reason Skoda have dropped this.

I'm over 6k. miles now and still no warning!

Probably over thinking this! :D

Edited by VAGCF

As I said above, it's a pity mine doesn't have the mileage counting down in the MFD like some do. A mini display like the fuel gauge would be good.

What was the build date of yours?

I'd have to do some more investigation to find out exactly when (no date on B pillar sticker) it was built but my car came from stock already in the country and was PDI'd on 21 July 2015 so am assuming built around May/June?