Actual Adblue usage

Obscuredavid

Good job that Audis and VW's etc. that more often do high annual mileages have larger tanks and external fillers.

So do Skodas, the Yeti was never designed to run on adblue though, hence the bodge job of the tank location.

• Like 1

Skodas are in the etc! :D

Just differentiating between a car like the Yeti and bigger executive style saloons and estates that generally tend to rack up higher annual mileages. When I did that I had Passats and an A6.

Other cars from their inception never had AdBlue either but obviously the bigger ones have the room to site the filler externally so less of a bodge.

As regards the display I think this is badly written in the handbook.

Early on (Page 44 in mine, Multifunction Display) it says: Adblue range, The detail provides information about the distance in km, that can be travelled with the Adblue capacity and with the same driving style. No mention of once the warning comes on.

This is listed in the list of other data e.g. Range, Distance travelled etc. and so I'd expect to see it in the MFD - no different to fuel range.

But later on (Page 165, Adblue Tank and level check) it says: The distance, which can still be driven with the remaining Adblue, can be determined from the MFD. Which implies, but is far from clear, that this is only displayed once the low-level warning has activated.

I think this is very poor given the implications of the Adblue running out. Running out of fuel (which has the same result) has three indications; fuel gauge, range and warning light! Adblue has one, the warning, and if this is faulty could leave you stranded!

I'm loathe to refill too early as I want to see if the warning activates but I don't fancy the alternative either!

on the MFD dispay in my car remaining built 11/15 Adblue milage range has always been displayed and once the figure dropped below 3000 aditional informatin such as tank capacity and amount required to refill are also displayed.

Interesting. After refilling this morning the AdBlue display disappeared and the option in the Menu with MFD, Navigation etc. also disappeared.

Mine was a May 2015 build, so one of the first Euro 6 cars.

Sounds as though the display has been updated with later builds and from what I said obviously I'd prefer yours!

At least I know for next time that mine works OK once 1500 miles worth of AdBlue is left.

• 3 months later...

Mine is using about 1L of Adblue per 750 miles. 4L should give about 3000 miles, so if the car does know how much is in the tank, it should start warning me again around 8000-8500 miles.

Light came on again at 8400, so just when expected

• 4 weeks later...

I got the 600 mile warning today, first refill. Dealer sold me 3 of the smaller bottle and when I asked was the mileage about right for a refil (I have only done 5,800) he gave a bit of a wry grin ad told me that "The manufacturer does not always completely fill the tank" :S

he gave a bit of a wry grin ad told me that "The manufacturer does not always completely fill the tank" :S

That is something he should not have said, if anybody from the company sees that he'll be getting a visit.

+ I'd have gone with one of the smaller bottles and a 10L container for about the same price and more than double the Adblue.

Actually I may have misled you as it was more complicated than that.  Skoda had no stock but sent me to another car dealer they often have dealings with.  They could only offer the small bottles and it was this dealership that told me that the cars are not always filled up properly at the manufacturers.  I suspect he was talking about his own make of vehicle and was guessing that Skoda do the same thing.

he gave a bit of a wry grin ad told me that "The manufacturer does not always completely fill the tank"

I got a small bottle and large container from VW dealer and storeman told me the same.

he gave a bit of a wry grin ad told me that "The manufacturer does not always completely fill the tank"

I got a small bottle and large container from VW dealer and storeman told me the same.

They don't leave the factory full, but the dealer will top up all fluids as part of the pdi

• 1 month later...

Hi folks - just to reiterate comments I have made on one of the other AdBlue threads, as a new Yeti owner who had never heard of AdBlue before, I am really grateful for all the detailed information I have gleaned from you all. Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just found 10l Green Chem adblue *with spout* £15.99 free postage Amazon

Apparently the special funnel is priced around £50

£15 in halfords

Bought some myself as I've done5000 miles and the maxidot countdown just dropped to 1900. ( min fill4.5lts)

I know that's still plenty of driving left but I thought I'd top up anyway.

So I added about 5 lts and followed by instructions with the ignition.

The maxidot now shows 3500 miles but with the adblue tank full when I got the yeti new the display showed 5000 range..

Any ideas on that?

In my experience range after filling varies.

If I use the VW filling hose from a 10ltr can, it doesn't fill quite to brim, and the range is shown as 3500 miles. If i use the VW push down bottle, refilled from a 10ltr it seems to fill further and show a range of 5000 miles.

I had 1900 miles left on my adblu but I wanted to fill up anyway.

I opened the 4l box I had bought and lo! there was a special

nozzle included. I used the 4l but thought it might take more so

offered up another 2l, it left around a mugfull.

An after thought;

It would have been easier to use the hose connection and fill from the 10l

container, the short straight connector is impossible to lock to the filler but

worked fine although there was a little spillage on the plastic filler neck.

• 1 year later...

Hi all I bought a l&k yeti new and have had adblue problems from a few hundred miles it has been in and out of the dealers from new up to now and is still a problem with it and every time it goes in they say it's my fault for over filling ? how can I over fill using the gravity fed bottles with the shut off valve then do 150 miles and the engine management light on and the adblue showing 650 miles then 600 then later it goes back up to 650 ,very annoying .I have been onto skoda uk twice with this problem and they can't help at all it's up to the dealer.all they say it try it out ,now the car has done 14000 miles and it will go wrong yet again but if I the worse case my 69 year old wife is going to my sisters in the middle of France and it decide to shut down as up til now they don't know what's is wrong with it  .totally frustrated 

5 hours ago, willpat2 said:

Hi all I bought a l&k yeti new and have had adblue problems from a few hundred miles it has been in and out of the dealers from new up to now and is still a problem with it and every time it goes in they say it's my fault for over filling ? how can I over fill using the gravity fed bottles with the shut off valve then do 150 miles and the engine management light on and the adblue showing 650 miles then 600 then later it goes back up to 650 ,very annoying .I have been onto skoda uk twice with this problem and they can't help at all it's up to the dealer.all they say it try it out ,now the car has done 14000 miles and it will go wrong yet again but if I the worse case my 69 year old wife is going to my sisters in the middle of France and it decide to shut down as up til now they don't know what's is wrong with it  .totally frustrated 

Had the same on the work VW. 

Failed NOX sensor so your car is drinking adblue. 

Easy enough tov

to fix as VAS tells them its faulty! 

Hi they replaced lot of items like injector and butterfly valve unit plus numerous updates to the system and said it would be ok but after that we were on a run to Poitiers in France and only got outside of Rouen and it went wrong so we had to spend four hours in the skoda dealership for the mech to say that the item shows as faulty were the same ones that were just replaced so he deleted the screen  and when we got back to GB skoda U.K. Dealer said we never went into a

dealership in France but we were told by the breakdown service to go to there skoda dealer in Rouen so we now after 14000 miles of fretting are back to square one .

14 hours ago, willpat2 said:

Hi they replaced lot of items like injector and butterfly valve unit plus numerous updates to the system and said it would be ok but after that we were on a run to Poitiers in France and only got outside of Rouen and it went wrong so we had to spend four hours in the skoda dealership for the mech to say that the item shows as faulty were the same ones that were just replaced so he deleted the screen  and when we got back to GB skoda U.K. Dealer said we never went into a

dealership in France but we were told by the breakdown service to go to there skoda dealer in Rouen so we now after 14000 miles of fretting are back to square one .

When the error shows, how much adblue is it taking to refill?