Actual Adblue usage

Obscuredavid

On 04/01/2018 at 08:18, willpat2 said:
On 04/01/2018 at 06:58, gadgetman said:

When the error shows, how much adblue is it taking to refill? First time it was half a bottle approx three quarters of a litre and the last time it was four and a half .

So it is using it. 

So either failed NOX sensor, or ECM which will read the sensor and process it. 

I'm glad you agree as I have said to the owners/mech the problem cannot be resolved by looking at a computer screen there is a fault in the system and if they can't resolve it after 14000 miles and nearly two years then I should be given a replacement car but the owner of the franchise will not do this for me but will always fob me off and skoda uk are listening to him and not me and I am discussed with this bad attitude .

Edited by willpat2

• 3 weeks later...

My 'new' Yeti Outdoor was bought with about 2,000 miles on the clock.  But within 500 miles the 1500 mile warning came up.  I bought a 10 litres drum as it came with a flexi spout but it still spilt some as I filled the tank.  So I have bought a small, battery-operated pump.  I've used these before to transfer diesel from a Jerry can and highly recommend them.  The pump will cut out automatically when the AdBlue tank is full.

Sealey TP80

• 7 months later...

I do quite a high mileage, so after doing some online research, instead of buying the expensive little bottles I bought the 10L drum from the local Skoda dealer when it was in for a service.  It was when I was at the service desk I asked for one, he said the parts department usually had them in stock, I then asked if they kept the filling hose to connect to it and the guy said there wasn't anything like that, you just bought a small bottle and decanted into that.  Went round to the parts dept and asked for the container and also asked for the filling hose and quoted the VAG part number (told you I'd done my research!), the parts guy said "Hmm.. we don't get much call for those, I'll have to check if we have one in.".  5 mins later I walked back into the service dept and showed the hose to the service guy.  Don't know how long he'd worked there, but he seemed genuinely surprised.

The hose is very handy, sit the adblue in the boot, attach hose to both container and filler, upend container and gravity fill until it automatically stops.  Set container down and unscrew from filler, being careful to avoid any drips whilst disconnecting by using a bit of kitchen roll, then unscrew from container and pack up until the next time.  With a bit of practice it doesn't take much longer than filling the screenwash.  I might get another vag 10L drum and then start filling them from the truck pump.

& while filling the container just put Ad-Blue into the cars tank as well.   It is perfectly safe to do so. 

I do wonder if the staff on a parts desk ever are allowed through the door to a workshop to see what the technicians use as tools and equipment.

Actually i know that many are not, as they are not really car people or that much interested.

On 23/01/2018 at 12:18, kelper said:

My 'new' Yeti Outdoor was bought with about 2,000 miles on the clock.  But within 500 miles the 1500 mile warning came up.  I bought a 10 litres drum as it came with a flexi spout but it still spilt some as I filled the tank.  So I have bought a small, battery-operated pump.  I've used these before to transfer diesel from a Jerry can and highly recommend them.  The pump will cut out automatically when the AdBlue tank is full.

Sealey TP80

I cannot find TP80 on Amazon

It's an outdated link.  Go to Amazon and search for Sealey TP80.  It's currently £20.20p.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SEALEY-TP80-Jerry-Battery-Operated/dp/B00QSGK0O6/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1536757869&sr=1-1&keywords=sealey+tp80

14 hours ago, widdershins said:

I do quite a high mileage, so after doing some online research, instead of buying the expensive little bottles I bought the 10L drum from the local Skoda dealer when it was in for a service.  It was when I was at the service desk I asked for one, he said the parts department usually had them in stock, I then asked if they kept the filling hose to connect to it and the guy said there wasn't anything like that, you just bought a small bottle and decanted into that.  Went round to the parts dept and asked for the container and also asked for the filling hose and quoted the VAG part number (told you I'd done my research!), the parts guy said "Hmm.. we don't get much call for those, I'll have to check if we have one in.".  5 mins later I walked back into the service dept and showed the hose to the service guy.  Don't know how long he'd worked there, but he seemed genuinely surprised.

The hose is very handy, sit the adblue in the boot, attach hose to both container and filler, upend container and gravity fill until it automatically stops.  Set container down and unscrew from filler, being careful to avoid any drips whilst disconnecting by using a bit of kitchen roll, then unscrew from container and pack up until the next time.  With a bit of practice it doesn't take much longer than filling the screenwash.  I might get another vag 10L drum and then start filling them from the truck pump.

What is the part no, and the tank part no, and can you recall the costs

Thanks

Don't recall exactly, but I think about 7 quid for the hose and about 11 quid or so for the 10L drum I think.

Hose part no is 000-012-499

10L Drum is G-052-910-A4

5L container is also available, no idea of the part number though.  Since 5L wouldn't completely fill the tank even once, and would be the same effort to connect, fill, and disconnect as running to near empty and then brimming it from the 10L tank, I wasn't interested in messing about just getting 5L containers, sorry.  Depends on your mileage and the type of driving you're doing though, one 5L pack might do you a year.  The person who previously owned my Yeti only did 7k in three years!

Edited by widdershins

Ebay listing for hose:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/Volkswagen-VW-AUDI-Seat-SKODA-Genuine-Adblue-Filling-Hose-Kit-000012499/1766464622

Probably available on Amazon as well, but I haven't looked.

Tempted as I buy a 10 litre drum and refill the VAG "small" bottle, but after 3 years it is starting to get a bit tatty. I'm finding I get 5000 miles roughly on a tank full.

I just put 5lt approx in once it starts warning me at 1500 miles left.

It doesn’t have to be filled completely and changes to about 4500 miles left.

This means no worries about overfilling and I do it every 3 months or so as on around 16-18k a year at the moment.

Is there a standard for the hose fitting on the drum?  If it could be guaranteed to fit any generic 10l adblue drum then I'd be interested.  Given that 10l of adblue in a VAG branded drum seems to be about twice the price of the same stuff in a non-VAG branded drum, I'd be happy to stick with decanting in to the VAG 1.89l container* each time, unless I could be sure that the hose would fit anyone's adblue drum.

* Which cost the same as the hose, and came with 1.89l ie ~£2 worth of adblue (at generic prices) to boot!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

Is there a standard for the hose fitting on the drum?  If it could be guaranteed to fit any generic 10l adblue drum then I'd be interested.  Given that 10l of adblue in a VAG branded drum seems to be about twice the price of the same stuff in a non-VAG branded drum, I'd be happy to stick with decanting in to the VAG 1.89l container* each time, unless I could be sure that the hose would fit anyone's adblue drum.

* Which cost the same as the hose, and came with 1.89l ie ~£2 worth of adblue (at generic prices) to boot!

Yes it's a standard drum. BP used to be the cheapest. 

The car plan one always gave me issues, so I'd advise to avoid that one 

I suppose I should clarify that I chose the VAG hose and drum because of the auto shut-off once the max fill level is reached.  The Yeti has the filler in the boot and I wanted a solution that wouldn't have the corrosive adblue spilling everywhere over the carpet etc.  If I'd had an external filler I'd probably have gone for one of the generic cheapo drums and spouts and listened for the gurgle as it got near to full.  I'd also read that if the Yeti tank is brimmed it confuses the adblue sensor in the tank and requires a trip to the dealer for draining and resetting on the computer diagnostics.  How true that is I don't know, but 7 quid for a VAG auto-stop hose is far cheaper than chancing it and ending up with an expensive trip to the skoda garage.

Regarding the question of would the VAG hose fit all drums, I couldn't say.  For the reason above above I wanted as drip free a solution as possible.  I figured the VAG drum would be the best fit with the VAG hose.  German engineering and all that.  I also didn't consider the drum I got from the parts dept to be stupidly priced, it seemed to be only a quid or so dearer than the generic stuff at the nearby Morrisons petrol station.  So I played safe and got the VAG drum.

SEAT Alhambra also the filler in the rear area in a cubby hatch.

Easy for Filling Station Pumps, just do not overfill.   Motability Lease cars are easy, AdBlue is part of the Service Plan so you arrange a visit to a Main Dealer & they do the fill up and that is it, no charge.

1 hour ago, widdershins said:

I suppose I should clarify that I chose the VAG hose and drum because of the auto shut-off once the max fill level is reached.  The Yeti has the filler in the boot and I wanted a solution that wouldn't have the corrosive adblue (1) spilling everywhere over the carpet etc.  If I'd had an external filler I'd probably have gone for one of the generic cheapo drums and spouts and listened for the gurgle as it got near to full.  I'd also read that if the Yeti tank is brimmed it confuses the adblue sensor in the tank and requires a trip to the dealer for draining and resetting on the computer diagnostics.  (2) How true that is I don't know, but 7 quid for a VAG auto-stop hose is far cheaper than chancing it and ending up with an expensive trip to the skoda garage.

Regarding the question of would the VAG hose fit all drums, I couldn't say.  For the reason above above I wanted as drip free a solution as possible.  I figured the VAG drum would be the best fit with the VAG hose.  German engineering and all that.  I also didn't consider the drum I got from the parts dept to be stupidly priced, it seemed to be only a quid or so dearer than the generic stuff at the nearby Morrisons petrol station.  So I played safe and got the VAG drum.

1/ Where have you been told that Adblue is corrosive? It is not something I have heard and it certainly doesn't say that on any of the 10 litre containers I have bought.

2/ I have now filled the tank 3 times on my Yeti. Everyone of those has been to the brim and I have NEVER had a problem with the sensor. I suggest that whoever told you that needs to find out the true facts.

I bought the standard VAG (almost) 2 litre bottle the first time mine need refilling, drained that and then followed a video on YouTube showing how to dismantle the bottle so it could be refilled from a larger container, and that s what I have done now for 3 years. That bottle is starting to get a bit tatty now, but since I only seem to be filling up every roughly 9 months/5000 miles I'm not going to worry about it.

Looking at the pictures of the VAG hose and their drum of liquid it looks exactly the same as the drums I buy at the garage, which isn't really surprising when that screw fitment seems to be fairly standard across the world.

39 minutes ago, Llanigraham said:

1/ Where have you been told that Adblue is corrosive? It is not something I have heard and it certainly doesn't say that on any of the 10 litre containers I have bought.

2/ I have now filled the tank 3 times on my Yeti. Everyone of those has been to the brim and I have NEVER had a problem with the sensor. I suggest that whoever told you that needs to find out the true facts.

I bought the standard VAG (almost) 2 litre bottle the first time mine need refilling, drained that and then followed a video on YouTube showing how to dismantle the bottle so it could be refilled from a larger container, and that s what I have done now for 3 years. That bottle is starting to get a bit tatty now, but since I only seem to be filling up every roughly 9 months/5000 miles I'm not going to worry about it.

Looking at the pictures of the VAG hose and their drum of liquid it looks exactly the same as the drums I buy at the garage, which isn't really surprising when that screw fitment seems to be fairly standard across the world.

1) Apart from what I've seen elsewhere, from the Yeti handbook, page 164 on mine actually states it is corrosive, but the below came from an online version I found to save me retyping.

WARNING
AdBlue® can cause skin, eye and respiratory irritation. If your eyes or skin
come into contact with the AdBlue® fluid, immediately wash the affected
area for a few minutes with a lot of water. If necessary get medical assistance.
CAUTION
AdBlue® attacks the surface of some materials (e.g. as painted parts, plastics,
fabrics). Clean the areas affected with AdBlue® using a damp cloth and plenty
of cold water. Remove any dried AdBlue® with warm water and a sponge.

2) Fair enough, you've done it without problems, won't argue. I'd no experience with it and it's my first Yeti, I read warnings, wasn't sure if they could be relied upon, so was cautious and played safe.

A friend of mine was a toolmaker for the plastics moulding industry for many decades until he retired and could bore for Britain on the subject of creating things from plastics on an industrial scale.  He would occasionally recount tales of things like fixing tools which had been created abroad (China) and should produce things like plumbing fittings that work perfectly with each other through being created to a "standard" which didn't actually work as advertised.  They were either too tight or too loose. 

So with above cautions about spilling any, I again played safe and chose a filler and container from the same company that I could rely upon to fit and work properly together without any drips or leaks at the join when the container is upended.  It was almost as cheap as garage forecourt drums which I couldn't be certain had the same thread, not having purchased one to test previously. So to save only a few pennies it seemed like a pointless risk to take.

Edited by widdershins

WARNING
AdBlue® can cause skin, eye and respiratory irritation. If your eyes or skin
come into contact with the AdBlue® fluid, immediately wash the affected
area for a few minutes with a lot of water. If necessary get medical assistance.
CAUTION
AdBlue® attacks the surface of some materials (e.g. as painted parts, plastics,
fabrics). Clean the areas affected with AdBlue® using a damp cloth and plenty
of cold water. Remove any dried AdBlue® with warm water and a sponge.

Adblue has a highish pH so could be considered corrosive in that sense - but pH10 still isn't that high, not enough to cause chemical burns for example.  I think it would be fairer to say that it can be mildly corrosive.  Most of the advice there is very definitely erring on the side of caution IMO.  After all, Adblue's prime constituent is a substance that is significantly present in mammal urine, including human.  The advice given is basically common sense: wipe it up/wash it off.

The manufacturer's Adblue Material Safety Data Sheet (eg this one - I think Greenchem supply Halfords) will contain more than you are likely to want to know about how hazardous the substance is: the answer being, not very.  It doesn't meet any of the toxological criteria.  It's not classified as hazardous for the environment (which is handy, considering the number of times I've taken a whizz in a secluded part of the great outdoors) and it is not regarded as a dangerous material for transportation purposes (so you don't have to have the corrosive material warning notice on the vehicle).  Interestingly, though that section of the data sheet does state that it must not be transported in galvanized steel tanks, although alloy steels (which I would take to mean unlined mild or stainless steel) is OK.  Given that (AIUI) many car bodies are galvanized, it does seem to be vaguely possible that leaving a pool of Adblue in a crevice somewhere could eventually have an adverse effect.  Similarly, due to its alkalinity, on paintwork.  But it ain't going to eat through the car, or you, in the time it takes to wipe up or wash it off.

In overall terms Adblue seems to be less hazardous than the stuff that we slosh in to the fuel tank in much higher quantities on a much more regular basis..

That said, as with most fluids handling (even water) it's sensible to take reasonable steps to avoid unnecessary spillage, and clean up any that does occur.  The VAG 'spillproof' fitting on the 1.89 litre Adblue bottle and the hose for the 10 litre drum seems to me to be a reasonable mitigation against the risk of spillage, given the rather awkward location of the Adblue filler cap on the Yeti.  It's also pretty cool the way it works, and close to foolproof in its use.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, widdershins said:

I suppose I should clarify that I chose the VAG hose and drum because of the auto shut-off once the max fill level is reached. 

The £11 tesco adblue 10lt refill has a hose design which also stops running once the tank is full as well!

The only issue with this is that when the tipping the full container to get the hose ito the tank opening it can spill a little. Hence I intend to keep an old tank and half fill from a new one so that I can get the hose into the tank without any leakage.