When does your turbo kick in when in first?

dany2010

Turbo in first when you put your foot down in first from low revs doesn't kick until 3.5krpm when the revs in a blink of an eye shoot to the red line.

What's the normal?

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Normal would be to not drive it like a low-torque, high-revving petrol, get it rolling and short shift into second before attempting to monster the clutch/gearbox/driveshafts/tyres (delete according to what's not knackered yet). You'll accelerate a lot faster.

• Like 1

Full boost on the standard turbo is around 1900-2000rpm. You can feel it start to come in from around 1500rpm. 

For quick getaways I find your best to change from first to second at around 3krpm and don't always floor it, use a bit of throttle control based on the conditions. You'll drop back into second gear pretty much on song then, able to ride the torque curve through that gear and into third. Second and Third gear are quite impressive on these I find espeically with a remap they are quite lively once they get going. 

Have a play about and experiment, sometimes you can change gear lower down the revs and use the torque of the turbo to make swift progress rather than relying on revving it round to 4k. Completely different to driving a petrol car fast, took me some getting used to coming from a Civic Type R which rev'd to 9krpm! - I do miss the revviness of that car sometimes but the low down umph of a TDi is also quite nice and effortless. 

• Like 1

Don't normally do it but had a new turbo and it seems to take a lot longer to spool up. Noticed it when pulling away at the roundabout and needed to get away quick but nothing happened.

First time I tried since owning but wanted to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by dany2010

Stock turbo or hybrid?

Either way I would log group 11 in third to see if it's following requested well and not over or under boosting.

You can also connect a vacuum tester to the actuator. Should hit the stop screw a round 17.5. Assuming stop screw is correct.

I had problem like this, turbo wouldn't spool up till 3k, it was a hole in the vac pipe that goes to the control valve on the turbo

Normally a turbo not giving boost till later in the revs is either down to something wrong with the turbo or actuator or a timing problem. Have you had a new cambelt lately?

Phil

• 1 month later...

Update.

Wasnt me being a numpty. Gradually got worse and did the same in third and up.

Turns out the EGR pipe had split.

Waiting on a new one but have blocked it off for now and seemed to have cured the issues

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk