1st dissapointment from the local Skoda garage

Right, yesterday I got this on c25e34b946c32be710e16921b133e0a0.jpg . A week ago I decided to replace the halogen bulbs (full beam ones - h3) with some china aftermarket xenon balasts. All good until yesterday.

Went in today, after 1h and 20min they told me that the problem occured because I changed those bulbs. Ok, asked them if changing back might fix it and they said "probably"..also asked if they can adjust the main bixenons as they're pointed too low. After another hour they changed back to halogens but the error still there. Also they said that a sensor on the back suspention is damaged thats why the beam is low, regarding the error: "The problem might be the module behind the headlights due to replacing the h3's probably damaged, but we need further investigations" for which they will need a full day, another day.

Charged me for today £86 (basically for 2 halogens and the incomplete diagnostics). Booked me for another day (friday 13th - oh, god)

If they will need to change that module they told me the prices:

Headlight module unit: £268.06

Damaged sensor in the back: £77.82

Headlights adjustments: £36.00

Labour: £183.60

Todays lesson:

Folks, DON'T change the h3 with aftermarkets :(

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Eeehhh... get urself vcds or borrow. Do an autoscan. This can be so simple that the 55 headlight range module need to be set t basic settings again.

I've had this error 100 times when playing with my module 55 coding :p

• Like 2

Eeehhh... get urself vcds or borrow. Do an autoscan. This can be so simple that the 55 headlight range module need to be set t basic settings again.

I've had this error 100 times when playing with my module 55 coding [emoji14]

It costs about 360-380 quid lol, to borrow from who? Anyone in the Hertfordshire area that has one and can help me? I'll bring the beers/wine :)

Edited by alextan

Did they say what they meant by 'the sensor is damaged' for the beam height? Only reason i ask is that the load arm just pops off (little ball and socket) done this when putting some Grayson spring assisters on my dads car - you pop the arm off to drop the arm to insert the additional springs? May be worth a look, it's located on the nearside rear suspension arm...

Edited by MarkTB

Yes, they said is the sensor on the rear suspention thats damaged or giving errors, hence the beam height cannot be readjusted. They said further investigations are needed.

Edited by alextan

There are two sensors on xenon and bi-xenon equipped Skoda's. One on the front suspension and another on the rear.

These sensors monitor the angle of the car from front to back and automatically adjust the headlight beam up or down to prevent them from dazzling other road users. This is why the manual adjustment knob next to the headlight switch is absent on xenon-equipped cars.

If one of these sensors fails then the headlights default into their lowest level as a safety precaution to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.

Sometimes if the car is serviced and is lifted off the ground using a four post lift (so that the wheels are hanging in free air) the suspension is hanging at it's most extended position. This has been known to cause the sensor to pop off it's little ball mounting. Simply popping it back on often fixes the issue.

Likewise it can be damaged if you run over any debris or catch a rogue stone etc.

It looks like this...

rearsensor01_zpscc9cad34.jpg

Aftermarket HID kits can badly affect some cars. Fitting them to some 2010 model Octavia's has caused the BCM's or CECM's (electronic controllers) to fail, resulting in unusual operation of the lights (indicators staying permanently lit etc.).

I wonder if these aftermarket bulbs have adversely affected the cars electronic module?

As mentioned above scanning the car for fault codes will reveal lots. Find a member close to you with VCDS using this map...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

• Like 3

There are two sensors on xenon and bi-xenon equipped Skoda's. One on the front suspension and another on the rear.

These sensors monitor the angle of the car from front to back and automatically adjust the headlight beam up or down to prevent them from dazzling other road users. This is why the manual adjustment knob next to the headlight switch is absent on xenon-equipped cars.

If one of these sensors fails then the headlights default into their lowest level as a safety precaution to prevent blinding oncoming drivers.

Sometimes if the car is serviced and is lifted off the ground using a four post lift (so that the wheels are hanging in free air) the suspension is hanging at it's most extended position. This has been known to cause the sensor to pop off it's little ball mounting. Simply popping it back on often fixes the issue.

Likewise it can be damaged if you run over any debris or catch a rogue stone etc.

It looks like this...

rearsensor01_zpscc9cad34.jpg

Aftermarket HID kits can badly affect some cars. Fitting them to some 2010 model Octavia's has caused the BCM's or CECM's (electronic controllers) to fail, resulting in unusual operation of the lights (indicators staying permanently lit etc.).

I wonder if these aftermarket bulbs have adversely affected the cars electronic module?

As mentioned above scanning the car for fault codes will reveal lots. Find a member close to you with VCDS using this map...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

Thank you very much for the info, already talked to our mutual friend, Rob :). On monday I will go around and we will check it, see exactly whats the issue. Weird enough after visiting skoda garage, the main beam is now pointing on a normal level, indeed they don't dance anymore as they lit, probably they had it back in place and they told me that it got damaged, will update monday evening what we find.

Reading the title I get the impression that your blaming your local garage because the cheap Chines crap Xenons damaged your AFS system. I don't think that's correct. Your local garage is just doing his job, and you have to pay the bill. Please edit the title to something like: "Chinese after-market Xenon in Full beam lights ruins AFS"

• Like 1

Reading the title I get the impression that your blaming your local garage because the cheap Chines crap Xenons damaged your AFS system. I don't think that's correct. Your local garage is just doing his job, and you have to pay the bill. Please edit the title to something like: "Chinese after-market Xenon in Full beam lights ruins AFS"

No i'm not blaming the garage for that, but for lack of either professionalism or they are trying to scam me. Kept me more than an hour to tell me they need to do further investigations and that they're not sure whats the problem, "it might be.." then another hour to replace the full beams with halogens (I can do that in 10min tops) and then to tell me about the suspension sensor thing. Funny enough EARLIER TONIGHT i've noticed the main beams adjusting up and down, error still there, after an hour..stopped the car, when started they adjusted up/down/left/right (full samba) and the error dissapeared also the lights follow the steering now, that leaves the back sensor with a problem hence the main beams are still kinda pointed down. So that makes Skoda dealer either trying to scam me, selling me plastic donuts or they didn't know what they were doing. Plus they charged me £86 for 2 bulbs, incomplete diagnose and nearly 3h lost, thats dissapointing from my point of view.

Edited by alextan

No i'm not blaming the garage for that, but for lack of either professionalism or they are trying to scam me. Kept me more than an hour to tell me they need to do further investigations and that they're not sure whats the problem, "it might be.." then another hour to replace the full beams with halogens (I can do that in 10min tops) and then to tell me about the suspension sensor thing. Funny enough EARLIER TONIGHT i've noticed the main beams adjusting up and down, error still there, after an hour..stopped the car, when started they adjusted up/down/left/right (full samba) and the error dissapeared also the lights follow the steering now, that leaves the back sensor with a problem hence the main beams are still kinda pointed down. So that makes Skoda dealer either trying to scam me, selling me plastic donuts or they didn't know what they were doing. Plus they charged me £86 for 2 bulbs, incomplete diagnose and nearly 3h lost, thats dissapointing from my point of view.

The error is saying the adaptive part isn't working not the up/down adjustment. When you start the car the lights should go down.... then out.... then up. So if the adaptive part isn't working they would just go down then up like you say.

Back to the original post.... How can changing the main beam halogen bulbs cause this to happen???? They aren't even controlled or moved by the adaptive lighting system. I've changed mine like plenty of others with no issues at all.

The error is saying the adaptive part isn't working not the up/down adjustment. When you start the car the lights should go down.... then out.... then up. So if the adaptive part isn't working they would just go down then up like you say.

Back to the original post.... How can changing the main beam halogen bulbs cause this to happen???? They aren't even controlled or moved by the adaptive lighting system. I've changed mine like plenty of others with no issues at all.

They said something about the power distribution among the lights through that module, aftermarkets must have dazzeled it.

Current status: when I start the car, it does the up/down, error appears but as I move it dissapears and the beams are working normally following the steering and stuff, then if I stop and start again, no error, they do the full dance. Weird.

Had a quick look at this tonight and there were a couple of error codes stored which didn't come back after clearing - see below.

Did the basic settings and then tried the output tests. The left headlamp doesn't always respond to the left/right output test but is fine for up/down and the right headlamp responds normally.

At this point I think it's pointing to the cornering light motor, sensor or wiring attaching them to the headlight controller. Unfortunately, this are all internal to the headlamp and not replaceable looking at the part diagrams.

Anyone have any suggestions apart from a new headlamp assembly as it appears the control module might be OK and there are no faults relating to the rear sensor.

Address 55: Headlight Range        Labels: 5M0-907-357-V2.lbl
   Part No SW: 5M0 907 357 C    HW: 5M0 907 357 C
   Component: AFS-Steuergeraet    0142  
   Revision: 00H04000    Serial number:               
   Coding: 1377095
   Shop #: WSC 33361 790 00999
   VCID: 34673D435709CC9E89-8060

Subsystem 1 - Part No: 7L6 941 329 B  Labels: 3D0-941-329.CLB
   Component: AFS-Lst.-Modul l    0004  
   Coding: 00000021

Subsystem 2 - Part No: 7L6 941 329 B  Labels: 3D0-941-329.CLB
   Component: AFS-Lst.-Modul r    0004  
   Coding: 00000021

3 Faults Found:
02233 - Left Headlight Power Output Stage (J667) 
            014 - Defective - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00101110
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 12
                    Reset counter: 224
                    Mileage: 202831 km
                    Time Indication: 0
                    Date: 2010.03.28
                    Time: 11:34:31

Freeze Frame:
                    Voltage: 13.49 V
                    Speed: 0.0 km/h
                        ABS 1

02233 - Left Headlight Power Output Stage (J667) 
            004 - No Signal/Communication - Intermittent
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 00101110
                    Fault Priority: 2
                    Fault Frequency: 12
                    Reset counter: 224
                    Mileage: 202831 km
                    Date: 2010.03.28
                    Time: 11:34:31

Freeze Frame:
                        ABS 1

02627 - Dynamic Cornering Light Motor; Left (V318) 
            010 - Open or Short to Plus - MIL ON
             Freeze Frame:
                    Fault Status: 11101010
                    Fault Priority: 3
                    Fault Frequency: 2
                    Reset counter: 184
                    Mileage: 203900 km
                    Date: 2010.04.01
                    Time: 17:13:49

Freeze Frame:
                        ABS 1

Looked pretty clean on the main connector to the headlamp.

There is the possibility the module is loose or there is corrosion on it's connector but this wasn't checked as I don't think there is access while the headlamp is still fitted.

I've heard about theese motors go bad, but i think u must replace the whole unit unless u get the lens off. And with the permaseal stuff the oven method is useless :(

But... a new headlight assembly is kinda cheap on ebay :)

Many thanks again to langers2k for making the time to help me :). He did the "basic setting" in the 55 headlight range an re-arranged the main ones, I could actually see the roads tonight! As I drove down from his (48miles away), no sign of error, stopped and turned them off and on, they didn't dance anymore, not even up & down, yet no error. Got home, left it to cool off, after 1h: ignition on, error is back. Off and on again, error disappeared but no self adjustment at all.. Any ideas?

It costs about 360-380 quid lol, to borrow from who? Anyone in the Hertfordshire area that has one and can help me? I'll bring the beers/wine :)

That would be cheaper than what the garage is charging you.  (BTW they are <GBP300).

VCDS is a must when u drive a vag product :p

I really think the motor that turns the projector left and right is the problem here. Im afraid u have to change the headlight :(

Certain skoda service guys dont know what the hell they are talking about either.. as I found out recently

Taken the bumper off, headlight out..

Seems that the headlight washing liquid dripped down to the module and got it oxidated, makes sense now why sometimes was working, sometimes not.

Attached some photos. Cleaning it now and hope it will work.

Further details to follow.

f7a1e37a901c92f67ffa11f42e149d59.jpg76bc0630d5224dca8c46bd2dad64e1c8.jpgc00c61e86634560a502e2d6b48426492.jpg

• Like 1

Cleaned the module, got some silicone on the red rubber and puzzled back in. All working so far !

Happy days! Many thanks to Rob for taking the time to diagnose it and of course, many thanks to Briskoda forum for everything.

Proud to be a part of this comunity!

Oh and thanks VW Group for sending me this letter today..

e0b3cc27eb3fa122c8ee50547e64849d.jpg

Edited by alextan
  • Like 2