Michelin cross climate

malcolmwoodyatt

I don't see tyre rating being an issue, I just ordered 4 CrossClimates, 225/40 R18 Y (92) Reinforced, this is the same spec as my current Goodyears and the Conti's before that, the only difference is the CC's are stamped M+S

How are you getting on with your Michelins? Any feedback?

How are you getting on with your Michelins? Any feedback?

Early days yet, only done maybe 200 miles and all in the dry, however next month I have a trip to Skye and then another to the Dolimites in northern Italy so should know more after then.

My only observation so far is they are noisier then my old F1's, not much but you can hear a diffent, coarser sound.

Early days yet, only done maybe 200 miles and all in the dry, however next month I have a trip to Skye and then another to the Dolimites in northern Italy so should know more after then.

My only observation so far is they are noisier then my old F1's, not much but you can hear a diffent, coarser sound.

There are parts of the A87 (Invergarry to Skye) that are very noisy roads anyway.

Hmm I worry about noisy tyres - I can't imagine they are worse than mine though - Vredestein Quatrac 3's - they are rated at 67db so should be quiet but really aren't! 

Hmm I worry about noisy tyres - I can't imagine they are worse than mine though - Vredestein Quatrac 3's - they are rated at 67db so should be quiet but really aren't! 

Well the CrossClimates are rated at 69db, but my old Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2 were 70db!!

Think we need to take the ratings with a pinch of salt.

The Climates are not that loud just a very different note, deeper more of a rumble, noticed most on the M40 on the concrete sections, on smooth tarmac they are fine.

Time will tell....

After 14 months and 30k miles the fronts are down to 4mm and the rears between 5-6mm across the tread. I've just rotated them so they have time to bed in before the colder weather arrives.

They are still working very well given the amount of rain and standing water we've had recently, very impressed at the wear rate too!

I've had one puncture in this time which was repaired without issue but other than that, not a single problem.

Had some fitted on Saturday to replace the Goodyear Efficient Grips on my Octavia III.

First impression slightly softer ride and slightly less noise. Grip seems fine but not really been tested.

Have you noticed a drop in economy yet?

I ran my Dad's Jetta with a set of 205/55/16 version of these. Spent around 1700miles in them over a months period. Felt they were very quiet and economy was excellent in his CR140. I am looking to change the Fabia from 16" to 15" alloys and fit a set of these to it. As SWMBO does 12hr swifts around various parts of Sussex and she's not as confident in rubbish weather.

Have you noticed a drop in economy yet?

Nope - well nothing I've noticed. Still 60 to 75mpg depensing on traffic.

Soon have the rubbish winter diesel so it will be hard to say.

Edited by io1901

Nope - well nothing I've noticed. Still 60 to 75mpg depensing on traffic.

Soon have the rubbish winter diesel so it will be hard to say.

That's good, because mine is down by c.4-6 mpg since swapping from the same tyres as you (from c.50 mpg to c.45 mpg in a Yeti CR170).

Fuel economy on our V40 D2 has not been adversely effected since switching from the factory Bridgestones T001's to the CrossClimate, however grip in all conditions is noticeably better, plus there is less tyre roar on poor surfaces. Tyres are the same size as on the Yeti at 225/50 R17.

Just a shame they don't appear to be available in the 215/45 R16 needed for the Toledo, although the Goodyear 4 Season is.

TP

Been running cross climates on front of our yeti adventure for last 8 months and they have performed brilliantly, admittedly we are based on the isle of wight which is all b roads but the grip has been spot on and no noticeable drop in mpg values.