Fallout 4

Discoda

Modded combat shotgun is my current weapon of choice for clearing out feral ghoul infested buildings. One hit and boom which is handy as they often surprise the hell out of me before I can get into vats

I haven't played any of the previous, but I'd say 4 has absolutely ZERO direction (coming from a new player).

I'm really getting into it now, and would definitely recommend it - but the first few hours were very much 'dropped in it with no direction, help or tutorials'. If you can cope with that then everything's good, but if not your thing then I'd maybe avoid it.

So far I still prefer Skyrim as a cohesive story/campaign, but Fallout definitely has some charm to it and I'm hoping it really opens out as I put more hours into it. Amazing considering after the first hour I was very much at the point of feeling 'I don't like this game, what a waste.'

That was my take on Fallout 3 - I played for an hour or so with absolutely no idea what I was supposed to be doing or why. Got bored and shipped the game off (it was a lovefilm game so I hadn't had to pay for it)

Skyrim was different in that there was enough guidance to get you going

Oh and a a light relief, I grabbed halflife2 from my old steam account. Plays on max now, goodish story.

Halflife2 was great - wish they would think about making a HL3.

Reached level 8 before finding out I could aim down sights with my sniper rifle... That's 200 ammo I'm not getting back. But killing a raider wearing **** ***** was satisfying.

So far I've not been killed by ghoul mobs as a sniper, but there's an early quest building to clear that I'm still not sure I can do, just because there are lots of enemies in a fixed volume.

Edited by wonkyewok

Reached level 8 before finding out I could aim down sights with my sniper rifle... That's 200 ammo I'm not getting back. But killing a raider wearing **** ***** was satisfying.

So far I've not been killed by ghoul mobs as a sniper, but there's an early quest building to clear that I'm still not sure I can do, just because there are lots of enemies in a fixed volume.

Oh wow ... I had a similar problem on BF4 - about twenty hours in I realised I could hold my breath and steady the cross hairs... FACE PALM...

As for Fallout 4 - what a game. I hadn't played any of the previous games so didn't really know what to expect. I have played Skyrim/Oblivion/ESO so know Betheseda reasonably well. I did notice the lack of tutorials and distinct lack of help the same as some of the posters above. I put it down to the 'explore and find out for yourself' philosophy that Bethesada seem to reinforce in their games.

So so so much detail and content to get to grips with though. Companions, side quests, random events, hidden safes to unlock, legendary enemies, traders, unique gear and weapons, customisation, and then to top it all off: making bases and fortifications!! I only just found out that I can give settlers armour and weapons, so now my bases look like futuristic military check points ;) I haven't even been to Diamond City yet, lvl 22 I think already :))) "Who's Shaun??" Haha

JRJG

Edited by Jrjg
  • Like 2

• Administrators

You only need to give your settlers 1 round of any ammo, they never run out. I've been equiping all of mine with shotguns as they seemed to be plentiful.

I found a .38 pipe pistol which packs a bit more than my best found shotgun. I've only modded my rifles so far as 'first' strike. Secondary  is whatever I've got enough of to spray n pray, I'll look for a nice shotgun.

I need to look back into perks and stats as I've forgotten most of it from that first intro. Not rushing as I can cope with exploration danger so far. Just having to kite back to base when clearing out, I can only hold 230 odd weight... figured out the 100 odd melons I had were not helping. I now have a massive melon farm. Melon soup?

You only need to give your settlers 1 round of any ammo, they never run out. I've been equiping all of mine with shotguns as they seemed to be plentiful.

Apparently their first gun (the one they already own) never runs out of ammo, but any new guns you give them do.

Not tested this myself, as I've never had a base attacked - but apparently that's how it works according to the internets. Would be good to know if anyone had first-hand experience of this, as I have a ****-ton of Institute pistols I could equip my army with if they only need one cell :D

I need to look back into perks and stats as I've forgotten most of it from that first intro. Not rushing as I can cope with exploration danger so far. Just having to kite back to base when clearing out, I can only hold 230 odd weight... figured out the 100 odd melons I had were not helping. I now have a massive melon farm. Melon soup?

If you're travelling with a companion, they can lug stuff for you. Even if it might seem very illogical with one particular companion. (Seriously Bethesda - does it make any sense? :dull: ). Select them and choose "trade" (or something like that)

Edited by wonkyewok

I haven't played any of the previous, but I'd say 4 has absolutely ZERO direction (coming from a new player).

I'm really getting into it now, and would definitely recommend it - but the first few hours were very much 'dropped in it with no direction, help or tutorials'. If you can cope with that then everything's good, but if not your thing then I'd maybe avoid it.

So far I still prefer Skyrim as a cohesive story/campaign, but Fallout definitely has some charm to it and I'm hoping it really opens out as I put more hours into it. Amazing considering after the first hour I was very much at the point of feeling 'I don't like this game, what a waste.'

That's the whole point of skyrim,fallout etc

That feeling at the beginning when you walk out and realize you can go anywhere you like is priceless

The main story is just there if you want it

I've only just started but am well impressed

I've been killed plenty by ghoul mobs now... I'm not sure when to use power armour vs expensive ammo, go close with high hit chance vs go far with low hit chance, for fights against tough things. But power armour is radiation proof (I think), and doesn't use power if you don't run / use VATS, which is good sometimes.

Power armour uses energy as long as you are in it. It just doesnt use as fast as when you are running.

But fusion cores can be found all over the place, so as long you dont use it all time you should be fine.

Shotguns are very effective vs ghouls.

Well I did give it a go and am enjoying it quite a bit. Only level 8 atm but working a few things out. Like the crafting but it does seem like a bit of a copy from Skyrim.

Seems like there is a bit more direction at the start than in 3 where you just seemed to be left wandering and if you came across a quest you were lucky.

Did you get that building done? If  it is the one I am thinking of, I tried a few times but eventually realised that there were a number of entrances and that the lower ones were a lot easier. Using the high level ones (that give access to the walkways) is quite hard as it is quite hard to limit the group you agro to one or two. Going in at one of the lower entrances means you can often just agro a single enemy or a worst two making it a lot easier (pulling some from the main room to corridors worked pretty well).

Power armour uses energy as long as you are in it. It just doesnt use as fast as when you are running.

But fusion cores can be found all over the place, so as long you dont use it all time you should be fine.

Shotguns are very effective vs ghouls.

I'll try a shotgun.

I think also maybe power armor is resistant to radiation, not proof against it.

I have spent about two days play time on Fallout 4 now, and I am still as hooked as when I first started. I have probably spent at least half if not most of my time building and tinkering with settlements, making perimeter fences, building defences (MISSILE TURRETS!!!!) and laying mines in 'funnel/bottleneck corridors' for would be attackers. Then there is the accommodation creation, decorating, lighting the area, conduits, generators, spot lights. Then making a relaxation area for my settlers, my favourite part, a bar, juke box, television, seats. Laying out crops and fencing them off, making a pen for the two headed cow things. The game has so much depth and detail it is phenomenal. I think I have just reached level 30 and I still haven't done the second story mission (head to Diamond City). There is so much to see and do it is brilliant. Definitely worth the £40.

How is everyone else finding it?

I haven't used any power armour yet either, I prefer the conventional way of fighting, perhaps I need to turn the difficult to hard?

JRJG

That's where I've got to and that's where I'm ending it sadly because I find it seriously boring. Wandering around aimlessly finding and doing nothing. Just not for me. Awesome looking game though. I'll be trading it in for something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's where I've got to and that's where I'm ending it sadly because I find it seriously boring. Wandering around aimlessly finding and doing nothing. Just not for me. Awesome looking game though. I'll be trading it in for something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fair enough, you have given it enough time to become more interesting for you by now haven't you.

What will you choose instead? Just Cause looks like a very action packed, anything is possible, kind of game if you haven't seen/played it?

JRJG

Yep, still loving this game!

To be honest, my 'settlements' only see me when I'm back for one of my power armours, or picking up the Fat Man launcher to take down a mega death claw or Super mutant haha

I've been doing a lot of BOS tasks rather than looking for Sean......

I always take Codsworth when clearing out area's of ghouls, he takes them down with his buzz saw!

If you want to level up quickly, use VATS all the time. I don't, but the Mrs does, so she's a higher level than me, even though I've done more and explored more.... go figure.

Anybody been over the 'green sea' (I think that's what it's called) where it's just full of big things that want to kill you?

Yep, still loving this game!

To be honest, my 'settlements' only see me when I'm back for one of my power armours, or picking up the Fat Man launcher to take down a mega death claw or Super mutant haha

I've been doing a lot of BOS tasks rather than looking for Sean......

I always take Codsworth when clearing out area's of ghouls, he takes them down with his buzz saw!

If you want to level up quickly, use VATS all the time. I don't, but the Mrs does, so she's a higher level than me, even though I've done more and explored more.... go figure.

Anybody been over the 'green sea' (I think that's what it's called) where it's just full of big things that want to kill you?

Make sure you either store you fuel cores and power suits separately, or place them on a roof that only you can get to, otherwise if a settlement is attacked - settlers will hop into your power armour to fight off the attackers! Also - raiders will steal your power armour if it has a fuel core in it.

I haven't even thought about finding Sean yet either ! Too much to do.

I'm finding levelling reasonably easy so far, I've probably used VAts about three/four times and I'm level 30 :nerd:

The sea you're thinking of is the Glowing Sea, I haven't been there yet, is it difficult down there? I've read that the further south you travel, the more challenging things are.

JRJG

• Like 1

I did not know that about the armour! I want to rush home from work now and take all the fuel cores out now haha!

The glowing sea, that's the one! I've never been either, I've just read about it and it seems rather mental.

I'm off work tomorrow, I fully plan to put some serious hours into it.

Is it just VATS? or has she put more perks into Intelligence which would up her XP gains for pretty much everything she does?

I use VATS a lot, but have very little invested in Intelligence so I'm still levelling at a slow and steady rate. That said, like a lot of people it seems, I've not even gone to Diamond City yet, just wandering round. Shaun can go **** himself; I can only remember his name when he comes up in a conversation option. Trust Bethesda to manage to make a game where I'm invested in caring more about springs than I care about my own son.

• Like 1

I did not know that about the armour! I want to rush home from work now and take all the fuel cores out now haha!

The glowing sea, that's the one! I've never been either, I've just read about it and it seems rather mental.

I'm off work tomorrow, I fully plan to put some serious hours into it.

Haha, I'm not sure if Raiders can just steal it regardless of there being a fuel core in it or not. But settlers can and will if they are being attacked and a power suit is both accessible and has a power core in it.

My top tip for boosting your settlers' defence is to give them all Combat Armour and pipe rifles (double or more the damage as the ordinary pipe pistol they usually carry). Building a perimeter and organising the defence is obviously most effective but quite time and resource consuming. However as I have spent most of my time settlement fortifying , my settlers all have some form of armour and a decent pipe gun each. Also, if you raise turrets off the floor high enough they not only have a better range and area of defence, but are also immune to melee attackers (death claws, rad scorions etc). The more food and water you have at a settlement , the more likely it is to be attacked. So you could just make a single shack, stick your power suits on top, and they should be, in theory, safe!

JRJG