150ps or 190ps ? That is the question.

tisca

Hi,

I wonder if any member has driven both the 150ps & 190ps Diesel Superb, if so any noticeable difference in terms of power, noise etc. Either in Manual or DSG guise.  I have driven the 190ps manual but the Dealership did not have a 150ps for me to compare it with. Your thoughts shall be most welcome.

Regards.

I have driven both in the form of Passat's if thats any help.

The 150 pulled its weight fine under normal driving pretty much similar to the 190, however the 190 felt better from a torque point of view mid gear changes rather than having to drop down. I also found the 190 pulled better in 6th at 60mph when accelerating over the 150 due to the low gearing, (are they the same gear ratios? )

Maybe look at the performance figures for the mid gear times.

For me, (coming from a BMW e60,) the 150 tdi ticked the boxes

• Like 1

Only driven the 150 so can't compare but a couple of reviews I've read have commented the increase in torque is noticeable but the 190 has more vibration. Depends on what you will be doing with it, towing for example that extra torque is useful. 

Drove the 190 dsg on test drive. Now have the 150dsg. I would say the 150 is marginally quieter than the 190 and certainly feels less brutal in everyday driving around the lanes hereabouts. I havent noticed any appreciable difference when pulling away etc. The dsg in my 150 does feel much smoother. For me the 150 is plenty enough and feels better balanced for my current style of driving. I don't exactly go bashing down the motorway or spend all my time overtaking lines of traffic on A roads anymore. Noise at idle or in traffic is about the same I would say and at that point you know you have a diesel in either version. Once on the move they are both very quiet, emitting not much ore than a quiet hum oif anything at all.

1700 rpm at 70mph is cruising for sure and I sort of wouldn't expect it to leap forward from that state.

hth

Edited by Sagalout

I have driven both and yes you do get a slight edge on 0-60 it is as mentioned above the more torque/higher speed where the car will pull better BUT in my humble opinion I would have the 150 because better anticipation and looking at the road ahead is better.

If you want more grunt then it is the 190 but if you want more than enough grunt for 99.9% of the time then the 150 will do.

That is without looking at less mpg, higher insurance and more wear on the tyres for the 190.

• Like 1

Appreciate the replies fellow Briskodians, from what you say, looks like the 150ps will be fine. I do not tow or race around & saving over £1600 is not to be sniffed at.

Difference is only €1,400 (about £1,000) in Ireland but I'd nearly be inclined to go for the 150 as it does appear to have less vibration by all accounts and you would really need to be pushing hard to notice the difference in power. I'd prefer to spend the €1,400 on a few extras :). I haven't driven the 190 yet though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So £300 Sweden, £1000 Ireland, £2200 UK! rip off Britain then....

That's a huge variation!  On the other hand, the difference between a manual gearbox and DSG in Ireland is €3,000 (about £2,200) whereas it is only £1,400 in the UK.  Some of this is due to the variation in local taxes applied (emissions based etc).  I might have considered DSG before if the premium in Ireland wasn't so much.

I have driven both and yes you do get a slight edge on 0-60 it is as mentioned above the more torque/higher speed where the car will pull better BUT in my humble opinion I would have the 150 because better anticipation and looking at the road ahead is better.

If you want more grunt then it is the 190 but if you want more than enough grunt for 99.9% of the time then the 150 will do.

That is without looking at less mpg, higher insurance and more wear on the tyres for the 190.

I went for the 190 because even the 170 in my MKII was lacking, so it was remapped.

The 190 I drove certainly didn’t feel ‘quick’ so the 150 was out of the question.

I’m not sure how having less power makes your anticipation better? IMO the more power you have (to a point) makes overtaking on a single carriageway safer as you are on the ‘wrong’ side of the road for less time, I certainly do not drive round everywhere flat out (due to the miles I do I am more after MPG) but it’s nice to have it on tap when needed.

The 190 DSG (according to the brochure) is actually slightly MORE economical than the 150

• Like 3