Superb? Yes it is,except...

Jcroy

Ok so it seems my post is missing? I was originally saying yes it is Superb except... All the annoying rattles which are driving me mad

It's possibly the rattliest car I have ever driven in! Am I alone or is this common in superbs?

Edited by Jcroy

Ok so it seems my post is missing? I was originally saying yes it is Superb except... All the annoying rattles which are driving me mad

It's possibly the rattliest car I have ever driven in! Am I alone or is this common in superbs?

I occasionally have a very slight rattle that comes from around the speedo binacle/ drivers side windscreen pillar when driving over rough surfaces (- not very load - can't be heard with fan / radio on)

Generally rattle free extremely quiet car

I had a rattle that I couldn't trace to start with - was my spare glasses in the over head glasses case!

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

I've had a few over my last two Superbs, nothing too bad but I'm a bit pedantic about noises and rattles. I do find that they come and go and are often influenced by temperature. I'm starting to hear noises/buzzing sounds during the winter that seem to disappear during the summer and vice versa. I've had the noise behind the binnacle as well but it's very intermittent. Rattles from the Glovebox and air vent areas on the passenger side are also common ones as you can see if you search on this forum. Buzzing noises from the headlining (especially around the glasses holder). I also have an annoying noise from around the b pillar and it's actually the plastic covers around the pillar and seatbelt housing which is noticeable when the body flexes. The doors are another popular one in the Superb and most of us have had some creaking from the door areas, again plenty on that around the forum with some solutions too.

Having said all that, the Superb is still of a higher build quality and probably has far less rattles than most other cars. Body flexing and temperature will always play a part in most car interiors, even on more expensive premium cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Superb170

To be honest most of them do come and go and don't bother me to much. One that really niggles me is a high frequency rattle/buzz that as best as I can make out comes from the dash behind the centre air vents... It's sufficiently loud enough to be heard above the radio especially as I mostly listen to R4 or other talk shows, it seems to be dependent on road surface and is more of a resonance from coarse finished Tarmac.

Other than this problem it's a fantastic drive, the wife seems to think it's the pan roof but I'm more inclined to thing it's the noise being drowned out.

Edited by Jcroy

I'd blame a lot of the Superb's rattles on the background noise levels being so low to begin with. I have a bobble head toy on the dashboard of the car which I transferred from my Octavia. I had to add blu-tack to the neck to stop it rattling after fitting in the Superb. I'd never heard it rattling over engine and tyre noise for the many years it was in the Octavia II and the Octy I before that.

Pushing down the trim around the gear stick and pulling the driver's door handle very slightly silence my most common rattles for the erst of the journey. There's something rattling around the back seat area too, but since it spends most of it's time with the seats down and 2 bikes in it, there are plenty of non-car sourced rattling possibilities. It's still the quietest most relaxing vehicle I've driven.

• Like 1

The passenger airvent/glovebox rattle has appeared on ours in the last couple of days. If one gently presses the chrome surround on the vent, it stops. I'll try solving it over the weekend. There is also a loud rattle at the back of the car that's always been there, that sounds like a rattily parcel shelf, but its not that nor the seat belts either. I'll have to get in the boot whilst someone drives it round!

Edited by numskull

I had a rattle in the boot and it was a loose bolt on the combi floor rail. Apart from that and the squeak of leather in the back seats I find the car very quiet. My children on the other hand make lots of annoying sounds that I have yet to resolve.

• Like 1

I had a rattle in the boot and it was a loose bolt on the combi floor rail. Apart from that and the squeak of leather in the back seats I find the car very quiet. My children on the other hand make lots of annoying sounds that I have yet to resolve.

Hate to be the bringer of bad news matey, you never ever will silence that noise......

• Like 2

Mine is the most rattle free car I have ever owned. There was a squeak from the fuse box cover which others have had, and I fixed that with Blu-tack around the lid. The drivers seat has a tiny squeak, but I have found that if I move the seat one notch forward or one notch back, the squeak stops.  My Superb is also the first car I have owned in recent years that doesn't have a rattle or squeak in the B pillar chirping in the drivers right ear.

it looks like the previous owner has done what they can to quiet it down as there are pads on the belt clips and it looks like a few of the panels have already been looked at. much of the time it is pretty much silent but then a change in surface and it's like a different car! I did find the ecu was a loose in the tunnel below the windscreen which I manage to secure but that made no difference. Strange thing is when I'm in the car with the wife it's not so noticeable...

it looks like the previous owner has done what they can to quiet it down as there are pads on the belt clips and it looks like a few of the panels have already been looked at. much of the time it is pretty much silent but then a change in surface and it's like a different car! I did find the ecu was a loose in the tunnel below the windscreen which I manage to secure but that made no difference. Strange thing is when I'm in the car with the wife it's not so noticeable...

Interesting point - noise is relative  :devil:

I've just driven over a reasonable distance is one of our fleet a 56 Panda Eleganza 1.2 - Now I've had the Superb II a few months this seemed really noisy in comparison (engine, wind and rattle noise!) . I've found mine really really refined

Dread to think what the mkIII Superb is like! - I'm scared of trying one as theoretically I should be keeping mine for some time! Saying that I've found my Superb II more refined that the Octavia III I tried ( test drove both before buying mine)

Edited by bigjohn

I have recently had both the front seat belt clips 'creak'. It was due to them rubbing on the sides of the leather seats. I have covered the parts of them that Skoda hadn't and hey presto, silence.

That's a common noise alright and one I had too. What I find strange is that although Skoda provided little velcro strips on the seat belt clips, they put them on the wrong way I.e. on the opposite side to where the seat belt makes contact with the leather seat, so I had to get additional strips and stick them on the other side which does stop the noise. It only happened on the passenger seat though which I'm guessing is due to less friction than on the driver's side due to the passenger seat being used far less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk