Broken loom wires at drivers door hinge connection, Fabia II

I've just removed the rubber boot &  taken these 2 photo's from the drivers door side wiring loom & found more than 1 wire damaged, but the passenger side will be much the same, as when opening or shutting the passenger door the central locking keeps operating.

I have been quoted (Skoda dealer) £84.60 for the driverside door wiring loom & 1 hrs labour for fitting it.

20190407_151347.jpg

20190407_151618.jpg

1 hour ago, sharky09 said:

I've just removed the rubber boot &  taken these 2 photo's from the drivers door side wiring loom & found more than 1 wire damaged, but the passenger side will be much the same, as when opening or shutting the passenger door the central locking keeps operating.

I have been quoted (Skoda dealer) £84.60 for the driverside door wiring loom & 1 hrs labour for fitting it.

20190407_151347.jpg

20190407_151618.jpg

One hours labour..........thats good I bet it takes longer....

One hour doesn't seem long given the door card will have to be removed and refitted. If you go that route make sure you agree a total fixed price first. I trust their plan really is to replace the loom not just actually repair trusting the customer will not check.

Even with several wires cutting those with fractured insulation one at a time adding in say 5cm of wire, soldering the joints then covering with heatshrink tubing ( slid on before the second joint is made !! ) would not take that long. If you had to buy all the materials and tools ( wire, solder, heatshrink tubing, soldering iron, adjustable temperature heat gun ) you would have them for the future so a better investment.

It would only be difficult if either a wire is broken very close to the connector or a broken end is lost inside the door.

Surely it doesn't take more than 1 hr to remove the old loom & install a new 1, per door?

I dont know, but looking how quick people remove the door card on some you tube videos, it can't take longer than an hour to change the loom as well?

Correct, removing the door trim can be quick, especially if you heave it off, break the clips etc........same as brute force with the loom clips and electrical plugs etc etc.

For me you have to remove the door speaker as well (drilling it off) for better access to ensure the loom is correctly positioned where it exits at the door pillar...so drilling /removing rivets, replacing them etc etc..feeding old loom out and new one in

I think it's 90 minutes work to do it professionally without breaking anything but offcourse they don't "own" the car, so dealer or not the care is not number 1 priority.....getting job done is

Edited by UrbanPanzer
  • Like 1

The speaker may be a "Better, easier" Option but not totally needed. Even if it is, a fitting shop will have all the tools very handy, access to the car made easy by use of ramps etc so work time will be optimised and also, with practice comes pace. I almost guarantee if you did yours again, they would take less time as mentally and physically, you will be prepared. 

The actual loom is all plug and play, judging by the look of it so most likely removing it and fixing on a work bench might be easier then in situ but from dealers POV, swapping for new is even easier and they make money on the part so the hours labour to remove and re-fit sounds fair!

Once they have fitted it, all they will do is fire up the audio, lower and raise he window and check the mirror is working. That will take half a min, whilst their kettle is boiling. They will then band the door car back on and hold out their sweaty palm for a chunk of dough!

Be aware, if they supply and fit it, it has the two year warranty so that may be better then a repair. 

Ask to keep the old one and perhaps have a practice of fixing it yourself, off car. Might help if the other side goes, unless they differ. Might be a usfeul spare or sell on eBay etc as a reconditioned one. There is no guarantee a breakers yard one will be intact or repaired previousely!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ours goes into Ingrams Skoda down in Ayr tomorrow to have a new drivers door wiring loom fitted, quoted £219 supplied and fitted with 1.5 hours labour. We're comfortable with that as I don't have the confidence to take it on myself, and the local autoelectrician hasn't got back to us.

Our symptoms, which we hope will be resolved by the new loom, started off with the electric mirrors not working, then the heated part of the mirrors only working on one side, then the electric windows not working properly, then the central locking system playing up (all doors except drivers opening with the fob) and finally with the tailgate remaining locked. We are hoping the plug and play aspect of the wiring loom resolves all of the above.

I will come back tomorrow night to update. Hopefully it is not a tale of woe. Or War lol.

On 21/04/2019 at 07:59, Sittingbull said:

Ours goes into Ingrams Skoda down in Ayr tomorrow to have a new drivers door wiring loom fitted, quoted £219 supplied and fitted with 1.5 hours labour. We're comfortable with that as I don't have the confidence to take it on myself, and the local autoelectrician hasn't got back to us.

Our symptoms, which we hope will be resolved by the new loom, started off with the electric mirrors not working, then the heated part of the mirrors only working on one side, then the electric windows not working properly, then the central locking system playing up (all doors except drivers opening with the fob) and finally with the tailgate remaining locked. We are hoping the plug and play aspect of the wiring loom resolves all of the above.

I will come back tomorrow night to update. Hopefully it is not a tale of woe. Or War lol.

Well it isn't a tale of woe or war. But neither is it all sweetness and light.

First the good news. Ingrams Skoda were once again very good to deal with, job carried out at price quoted and in time estimated. Fitting the new door wiring loom has resolved the issues with the electric mirrors, heated mirrors, alarm, central locking. There were 6 broken wires in the door wiring loom.

Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the electric window issue with the technician advising it's the switch that's needing replaced. Nor has it resolved the boot issue, with the technician suggesting it could be the switch at the boot itself. He did show us that the boot actually opened by holding down the middle button on the key fob, so at least we are able to access the boot at the moment. Those two issues are ones that can be resolved relatively simply.

5 hours ago, Sittingbull said:

Well it isn't a tale of woe or war. But neither is it all sweetness and light.

First the good news. Ingrams Skoda were once again very good to deal with, job carried out at price quoted and in time estimated. Fitting the new door wiring loom has resolved the issues with the electric mirrors, heated mirrors, alarm, central locking. There were 6 broken wires in the door wiring loom.

Unfortunately it hasn't resolved the electric window issue with the technician advising it's the switch that's needing replaced. Nor has it resolved the boot issue, with the technician suggesting it could be the switch at the boot itself. He did show us that the boot actually opened by holding down the middle button on the key fob, so at least we are able to access the boot at the moment. Those two issues are ones that can be resolved relatively simply.

Hi Sittingbull I’ve had a similar issue with my passenger door loom, fortunately only one wire was broken which was the electric window and I fixed it with a wire connector and reset the fault with a code reader. What is the problem with your widows now your loom has been replaced? 

17 hours ago, Mr j said:

Hi Sittingbull I’ve had a similar issue with my passenger door loom, fortunately only one wire was broken which was the electric window and I fixed it with a wire connector and reset the fault with a code reader. What is the problem with your widows now your loom has been replaced? 

Hi,

It's the actual switch/ control itself rather than the wires leading to it now. It's plug and play but once done may need fault reset although I'm not 100% on that. 

Passenger side goes fully down from drivers side control, drivers side doesn't budge. Passengers can only be sent back up using control on passengers side.

3 hours ago, Sittingbull said:

Hi,

It's the actual switch/ control itself rather than the wires leading to it now. It's plug and play but once done may need fault reset although I'm not 100% on that. 

Passenger side goes fully down from drivers side control, drivers side doesn't budge. Passengers can only be sent back up using control on passengers side.

That’s not too bad the new switch is around £15. After reconnecting the battery after fixing the wire I had to reset both widows for the one touch up and down which then enables the open and close feature with the key fob. 

On 25/04/2019 at 09:59, Mr j said:

That’s not too bad the new switch is around £15. After reconnecting the battery after fixing the wire I had to reset both widows for the one touch up and down which then enables the open and close feature with the key fob. 

I phoned and spoke to the technician at Ingrams, he had reset the codes for faults presented due to broken wires in loom. He advised switch as the window can be operated by key fob and the passenger side works as normal. I've ordered the stuff in from AutoDoc in Berlin, needed a couple of other items that I didn't go into that were found over the course of the vehicle inspection. Switch was around £8 if i recall correctly. 

• 1 year later...

I was able to repair the damaged cables if it helps anybody. I removed the door card etc and was able to feed the plug out to repair.(not easy but doable). I fed it out on the inside of a metal bar that the window runs on. Out thru where i removed the sticky cover. Superb 2011

20200415_123514.jpg

• Like 3