VW Emissions Scandal Thread V2

Outofthi5world

I seem to recall a mention of a strategy to declare higher emission levels so that they can achieve the required reduction in future years in order to maintain viability of ICE into the future.

However, Trump has his own plan it seems...........(lifetime rule perhaps.......it’s quite the trend)

9 hours ago, Ryeman said:

I seem to recall a mention of a strategy to declare higher emission levels so that they can achieve the required reduction in future years in order to maintain viability of ICE into the future.

There were stories in the press last week that the EU had uncovered evidence of precisely that...

https://jalopnik.com/automakers-are-already-cheating-emissions-again-in-the-1827846464

3 minutes ago, SWBoy said:

There were stories in the press last week that the EU had uncovered evidence of precisely that...

https://jalopnik.com/automakers-are-already-cheating-emissions-again-in-the-1827846464

More tortured web weaving.........and potential for more jail time perhaps.

2 hours ago, Ryeman said:

More tortured web weaving.........and potential for more jail time perhaps.

All this trying to cheat again by the manufacturers  suggests  it is not easy, or possible  to lawfully abide by the regulations,or are they just bloody minded and couldn't give a monkeys re their products'  emissions

6 minutes ago, Tony R said:

All this trying to cheat again by the manufacturers  suggests  it is not easy, or possible  to lawfully abide by the regulations,or are they just bloody minded and couldn't give a monkeys re their products'  emissions

I guess every manufacturer will be keen to get a ZEV, be it BEV and/or fuel cell, in their range ASAP to have some sort of insurance as cover for a worse case scenario.

5 hours ago, Tony R said:

They want to find the cheapest possible way to meet the regulations (which THEY help Governments draw up...) to maximise profits and shareholder value - emissions is at the very best a secondary concern for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ryeman said:

Already previously linked this story. IMO it implies big discounts and pre reg bonanza coming up soon unless they are counting on bending the 10% rule.

And as I said before, some of Volkswagen's best engine developers have quit (or left in the wake of the scandals) by the sound of this article, giving VW a big headache

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20180801/ANE/180809974

Other makes will profit at the mess VAG group has created for itself.

Either way it seems to indicate the perilous economic position of the ICE.  Making the BEV more affordable by making the ICE less so, it would appear.

^^^^^ which brings Bosch’s new diesel (lower CO2 and NOx) tech back into focus.

If it wasn’t just hot air from them I guess there’s a real chance of a second coming. 

Edited by Ryeman

35 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

^^^^^ which brings Bosch’s new diesel (lower CO2 and NOx) tech back into focus.

If it wasn’t just hot air from them I guess there’s a real chance of a second coming. 

As I said in a few posts back, THAT looks as though it could become  a reality. If/when I change my car, I will leave Skoda/VAG  as not too impressed with their behaviour of late. Jaguar are  of the opinion more thought /change needs to be given re diesel versus petrol and that the former is not as bad as made out to  be.  We are told diesel is responsible for X number of deaths each year, whereas the truth is it " contributes "  to otherwise forthcoming deaths and cuts short  a life by a few number of days, around about 3 or thereabouts.

2 minutes ago, Ryeman said:

I guess London busses set the clean air example.

Citizen Khan is to charge  " polluting  " buses  in the order of £!00 per day as he is for lorries etc venturing into the Inner City zone.

^^^ In what way is it good news for Bosch? 

Are they no longer being investigated due to being the software developer and suppliers?

Are they assisting authorities with their inquiries, getting whistle blowing immunity  and are they not going to have any Engineers or Management having arrest warrants served against them?

Are the Engineer shortages that manufacturers are talking about not just their own companies engineers but their suppliers and contractors that might not be travelling globally so much incase they are arrested when not in Germany or the EU?

Bosch managers come under investigation in 'dieselgate' probe - The Local.mhtml

Bosch fights further diesel manipulation allegations in Germany and US _ Autovista Group.mhtml

Edited by Offski

1 minute ago, Offski said:

^^^ In what way is it good news for Bosch? 

Are they no longer being investigated due to being the software developer and suppliers?

Are they assisting authorities with their inquiries, getting whistle blowing immunity  and are they not going to have any Engineers or Management having arrest warrants served against them?

Beyond the naughty fines George, their claim of having a modified SCR that substantially reduces NOx and combined with diesel’s CO2 advantage, which seems now to be re-emphasised as problematic, means that if they can in fact deliver, it will give significant life to the poor old dear........and make many v happy - at least for another decade.

If they have and Manufacturers want to use it then they will be Larry.

No point making claims,. having all the gear and an idea if nobody wants it.  The German Government and the EU are no doubt spending millions giving them grant on their hard work towards lower emissions, as VW got to produce Greener Diesel cars.

That is the Millions or Billions that the various governments wanted repaid, but seem to have now shut up about.

Have they still not arrested Stefan Jacoby, or is he a whistle blower?  He was that main man introducing the Green Diesels to the USA.

Edited by Offski

1 minute ago, Offski said:

If they have and Manufacturers want to use it then they will be Larry.

No point making claims,. having all the gear and an idea if nobody wants it.  The German Government and the EU are no doubt spending millions giving them grant on their hard work towards lower emissions, as VW got to produce Greener Diesel cars.

That is the Millions or Billions that the various governments wanted repaid, but seem to have now shut up about.

I get the impression Governments have returned to the CO2 problem which is more of a problem for SI engines.

What the EU Governments and others now have to address is that they no longer can mess about talking about lowering pollution and letting the Car Manufacturers and the likes of Bosch take the pith about what they will do sometime maybe, just give them a few more years, more tax breaks or just give them a break to earn more money.