What's the most km you did on a single tank?

jon15

I bought a used Fabia III (late 2014) 1.2 TSI 110 last week and refueled it before I officially started using it.

So I drove around quite a bit over the past week to the point the tank seemed to be almost empty last night, as the fuel pointer on the dash was almost all the way down to the lowest point. Perhaps 0.5 mm less than the lowest point.

I got 764 km (~474.73 UK miles) on this tank, though I could probably do up to almost 800 km but I didn't dare to push it to the extreme as I'm not sure how accurate the fuel indicator pointer is. I'm pretty happy with such mileage and hope I can keep it up. :)

What astonished me was that I was able to pump 53l (!!) (i.e. 11.66 Imperial gallons) of fuel last night! How is that even possible when the tank capacity is supposedly 45l...?? So there must be like 9 or 10l reserve in the tank? The refueling first stopped at around 41l, but then I hand-held fuel pump handle and managed to squeeze another 12l till I got to 53l...

Tank in Fabia 3 is 55 lit. (45 + 10). You have air vent, and when air goes out you can fill 10 lit. more.

This is my statistic on spritmonitor.de

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/detail/718655.html

With normal drive you can go for about 850 km to empty tank. When Range on board comp. is 0 km you have about 3-4 lit. in tank.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

Im amazed the new Fabia has a 55 litre tank! Same as the MK2 Octavia. From 55 litres I can drive well over 1000kms so with a smaller car with newer engines (especially the new little TDI) you could get crazy high mileages out of one tank.

Could you please elaborate? Why is it bad to vent it if you're not going on a trip?

If the car is then sat and the fuel heats up it can start to spill out the cap. That's what the expansion tank is for.

Under what conditions could that happen? What temperatures approx. are we talking about?

For example, I do cca. 25 km/day and these days the temps range from around -2C to 3C. I assume this shouldn't be a problem?

You have some kind of valve in fuel tank that you can press with pump-gun when filling. When you press it you can fill up more fuel because all air get out from tank.

Im amazed the new Fabia has a 55 litre tank! Same as the MK2 Octavia. From 55 litres I can drive well over 1000kms so with a smaller car with newer engines (especially the new little TDI) you could get crazy high mileages out of one tank.

If the car is then sat and the fuel heats up it can start to spill out the cap. That's what the expansion tank is for.

The mk2 is the same mate (:

My father's car is Fabia Mk2 HTP 70 PS, and he has same tank just like mine on Mk3. 55 lit. when vent a tank, 45 lit. when not do that.

Be carefull when doing this. The air in the tank has a purpose. The gasoline volume will expand with hotter temperatures. If you have no space for it to expand in the tank, you can, and probably will, have problems with that. Only remove the air if you intend to use the extra gas immediately.

I did a little bit of research and it seems a lot of people advise against venting it, as it can supposedly have an adverse effect on the evaporative control system and charcoal canister. Is that true?

For example, see this:

Lawrence Huddleston, owner of Hud’s Auto Service in Lubbock, Texas, says gas topping can damage your car’s vapor collection system, designed to reduce harmful emissions.

Joel Carruso, owner of Caruso’s Auto Repair in Schenectady, New York, adds that these systems manage fuel vapor.

Overfilling the gas tank can cause liquid gas to enter the charcoal canister, or carbon filter, which is designed only for vapor. Gas in the system can affect your car’s performance by causing it to run poorly, and damage the engine, he says.

http://www.angieslist.com/articles/car-myth-or-fact-should-you-top-your-gas-tank.htm

Confused!

The All New 2015 Fabia has a 45 litre tank capacity, the same as a Mk2.

It is just you can get in more than 45 litres.

Just like you can get more than 55 litres in Models with 55 litre capacity tanks.

Not sure you can vent every model?

My parents 2015 Yeti doesnt seem to have the little black switch on the inside of the filler neck

If you have no little Black or Green Button you will not be pushing it in error then.

and if you have doubt, or a little charcoal cannister to flood, or you do not know what you have, then do not do it.

It is not like it is necessary to do if you are not sure.

If you are going a distance and want extra fuel on board you can always just put 10 litres in a correct container and carry it in your boot.

Handy if you run on Super Unleaded and you are going where it is not available, but then the 2015 Fabia does not need 97,98,99 ron etc.

Not rocket science really is it.