Hutchysrs50 - 8th Fabia... Special edition

hutchysrs50

I've done plenty of them now, not a bad job really, just seems worse than it is! Feel free to message me whenever though :thumbup:

Prices are just what you want to spend really. Expect around £300 in parts.

Some kits are like £100 and some are £500+

Edited by hutchysrs50

I've done plenty of them now, not a bad job really, just seems worse than it is! Feel free to message me whenever though :thumbup:

Prices are just what you want to spend really. Expect around £300 in parts.

Some kits are like £100 and some are £500+

Ye interested in the items that are coated to make them last longer, also whats pre start?

Ye interested in the items that are coated to make them last longer, also whats pre start?

They are called black top tappets.

Pre-start is just engine assembly paste used when doing engine rebuilds. Helps to bed the camshaft in and prevent dry starting that could wear out the camshaft and bearings etc

They are called black top tappets.

Pre-start is just engine assembly paste used when doing engine rebuilds. Helps to bed the camshaft in and prevent dry starting that could wear out the camshaft and bearings etc

been looking at these:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-AUDI-SEAT-SKODA-CAMSHAFT-KIT-WITH-BEARINGS-1-9-PD-TDI-8-VALVE-BXE-BKC-BRU-/140966233895?hash=item20d23e0727:g:IPAAAOSwNSxVO9Gc

Well... It's your engine :D

I wouldn't touch it since it's all "unbranded"

See if they can give you any manufacturer details.

A standard oem one will be better than a cheap knock off one that's been painted black if you know what I mean!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

a lot of cool things you have done to your fabia.

How much mileage is on your car that you are replacing the Camshaft and bearings?

I have read on forums over the years the PD130 is one of the best motors to use, at the same token it does suffer from the soft camshaft issue.

More curious, whether I should be concerned with my own fabia about the dread camshaft bearing issue? Mine has only just broken into 60,000 miles.

Keep up the good work, as there are a few things I would like to do to my own one now.

Lastly, where did you get the DEPO xenon or genuine Xenon from?

So far I only managed to find a set of Depo non xenon (black) headlights. So bought them so I can at least get rid of the ugly chrome.

Mileage was around 100,000 when i replaced the camshaft, it hasnt worn a great deal, it was more as a tappet had worn/failed so i wanted to fit uprated ones.

Other members around 60,000 with full dealer service history have suffered with this fault so it really does depend.

I get my xenons from a headlight company direct from depo, i can get any type, any colour.

Mileage was around 100,000 when i replaced the camshaft, it hasnt worn a great deal, it was more as a tappet had worn/failed so i wanted to fit uprated ones.

Other members around 60,000 with full dealer service history have suffered with this fault so it really does depend.

I get my xenons from a headlight company direct from depo, i can get any type, any colour.

Whats the implications of running with a worn camshaft?

Lack of performance

Smokey

Tapping noise from top of engine

Thinking noise from airbox

Poor mpg

Ok cheers, mine is pitted, i think you posted on images i showed previously. Im waiting out to nearer next timing belt interval. Its not showing any of these symptoms. Smokes a little on start up, but hard to tell if thats a symptom, the pitting is on the exhaust side.

Lack of performance

Smokey

Tapping noise from top of engine

Thinking noise from airbox

Poor mpg

Interesting I don't believe mine has performance issues.

Tapping I'm guessing is normal? .no noise from Airbox.

But do have poor MPG.

Just finished, EGR and ASV clean, new air filter, cutaneous booster/cleaner from liqui moly. I have managed to up my 28mpg to 43mpg as it stands.

Still have the liqui moly injector purge to run and new fuel filter to install.

Should say thumping from airbox no thinking, auto correct :S

A good service can do wonders for MPG.

Not sure if i posted further up or not, but i did everything when i changed the camshaft, i removed and cleaned the EGR and ASV untill it was spotless, cleaned alot of the inlet manifold, cleaned all the boost pipes and intercooler, then replaced the camshaft and all other parts listed, then setup injectors properly and set the timing up so it was perfect and the MPG was the highest i ever had, it would read into the 80's on a motorway (Honestly!) when it used to read 60's.

Should say thumping from airbox no thinking, auto correct :S

A good service can do wonders for MPG.

Not sure if i posted further up or not, but i did everything when i changed the camshaft, i removed and cleaned the EGR and ASV untill it was spotless, cleaned alot of the inlet manifold, cleaned all the boost pipes and intercooler, then replaced the camshaft and all other parts listed, then setup injectors properly and set the timing up so it was perfect and the MPG was the highest i ever had, it would read into the 80's on a motorway (Honestly!) when it used to read 60's.

Do you have any information you are able to share regarding setting up injectors, timing?

May as well check if all that stuff is good on mine. Then I can finally start on my own build thread. As my vrs had the cambelt etc done only 2-3 weeks prior to me purchasing the car. It's mpg is **** poor compared to my Pd130 AWX in my manual B6 A4 I use to have.

Edited by GLIDN
  • Like 1

if you look at the first page of this project thread, i linked a few of the how to guides i made, setting injectors up should be one of them, something like how to set up injector lash.

Other is setting the torsion value up for the timing belt, but i don't think i done a guide on that, but its fairly easy if you have the right tools, just google PD130 torsion value or something similar. plenty of guides on the web for it.