driveshaft + hub flance & bearing = abs/traction light

MK1 and Mk2 wheel bearings are the same (with the exception of the MK1 1.0, which I doubt you will ever see).

There isn't a locking ring like the MK1 Octavia but there is an outer clip that nestles in the bearing carrier and must be fitted correctly. If the bearing isn't installed correctly you will get an incorrect air gap and the pick up won't work. 

Just for extra stress.... Wheel bearings have been fitted wrongly and not fitted fully into the housing. There are piccies around the Fabia 1 section somewhere showing this on someone else's car. Obviously the ultimate incarnation of this is your front wheel falling off! ISTR there's a locking C ring or summat that effectively retains the hub in the housing.

Mine :D

I only noticed when the brake disc started rubbing on the carrier.

I just removed the bearing and fitted a new one correctly, the tool is quite cheap now (around £60) but used to be more like £400, that's why so many people fitted them wrong since they couldn't afford it.

Ok the long story for this is:

I bought a drive shaft and a bearing, took them to a local garage... much to my dissmay after my machanic ive used for 5 years had packed up :( so off i pop, "yes no problem mate" 

I phoned up "errm im going to have to charge another £20 due to it being a pta"

Ok there is £80, i drive off  5 mins down the road dash is like a xmas tree, i drove back to the garage, he got out his snap on reader, cleared the codes started engine, i drove off ... you guessed it 5mins down the road dash is like a xmas tree again ... i drove back it was nr 6pm and the gargare was closing. I booked in the next day.

- next day, i got told the wiring was dodgy and had been tapped up, they cant do anything as there not auto electricains. So... i had a look, and chopped back and re wired, then got a mate who lives around the corner who is a auto electrician to have a look, he tested from the pins on the PAS board to the sensor, all wiring was fine. He also said its a fault with the magnetic pick-up as if it was wiring then that would be a instant dash fault, but as its requiring a drive before its flagged it shows its the sensor.... oh and my caliper pins look like they have been bent, as my pads are now wearing only on the outside of the disc (they where fine before)

So i went back to the garage and stated this, they said they didnt used a gen2 tool, and they did press it in. But "ive been doing it that way for years"

The same day i emailed the bearing seller, who told me the bearing didnt have a magnetic strip .... oh!!!! even thought its advertised as the same part number 

6Q0 407 621A

VW Polo from 2002 to 2005, Seat Ibiza from 2002 to 2005, Audi A2 from 2000 to 2005  - Im sure these also have magnetic strip in the bearing.

- The bearing seller states :

"the ABS pick-up ring on a Fabia is on the end of the drive shaft, not a magnetic ring on the hub, it's not a toothed pickup, it is a smooth plastic ring the clips onto the shaft."

- im left with a garage that doesn't have the right tool, that over charged me for a "hard" job, pressing in a bearing due to not having the correct tool, that can either cause immediate damage, or reduce the life due to poorly fitting the bearing

- a seller that seems to be selling useless items not fit for purpose.

- how can gettting a wheel bearing fitted be sooo hard work?

This is a really crap thing to say, but here it is anyway:- whenever I have a job needing doing on any of my VAG cars that I can't complete with the tools I have or could justify buying, I tend to head either to a VAG main dealer or nearest VAG Indie - and let them source the parts. I can honestly say that I've never ever tried that old gamble of sourcing maybe suspect parts cheaply and handing them over to someone to fit, when you do that it can be cheap and a good result, or more likely turn into a nasty pain in the bum that ends up costing a lot more than if you had taken the normal route - sorry but it is true.

So I think the part number you should be seeking is 6Q0407621BR, as shown on this page (the number (8) part). PR numbers 1N2, 4 ,5 indicate power steering which I'm pretty sure your car has?

Yes but ive bought http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/381365942734?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

If you scroll down it lists it quotes 6Q0407621BR & 6Q0 407 621A both as Audi complatible parts, both WITH magnetic strip.

- And yes ive booked it into http://www.chorleyautovolk.co.uk/ 

Should be OK then. 

Did you buy it on the strength of the picture of the girl climbing into the engine bay even further down the listing? :smirk:

Yes ofc, i thought she was going to fit it also :P

But the point is the two part numbers are the same, so my original bearing should have the magnetic strip