Cruise control

Hi I've a Octavia se plus 2012. I want to fit cruise control the car has multi function display. Rang awesome gti and the guy told me that most likely I would need a new module. Does anyone have any experience doing this. Fitting a new module will cost 200 more !.

Sent from my Hudl 2 using Tapatalk

It's possible you will need a new module, easiest way to find out is to get a local member to use VCDS to scan your car. This will tell you exactly which module is fitted and therefore if it needs changing.

Might be worth adding a location to your profile or looking on the VCDS map here: http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/224376-vcds-owners-map/

i would be amazed if a 2012 needs a new module, my07 didnt .  I got the stalk from Eddie NL on this forum and got a mate to change it over and code it.. hour process and not that technical but you will need VCDS and some time to do it...

PM eddie-NL and ask him if he has one available

When I was looking what was necessary to fit cruise control on 2009 octavia I remember I read somewhere that from 2011 octavia come with left and right stalks joint as a single part, what makes replacing it more expensive. Don't know if it true though.

I would suggest this is a common "cover all" stratergy from the supplier, incase of an issue. Highly unlikely considering the year of the car, but probable. Although, it may put you off at the cost, there is a warning made of the likely cost, and as mentioned above, see if you can diagnose before committing to the process.

My O7 VRS didn't need a module and it was fitted at Awesome. They did state when I booked mine in it may need a module but I was pretty sure it didn't and it didn't in the end.

Went to awesome and told me couldn't tell me if it was the right module. Mentioned something about low medium high whatever that means. And because they couldn't tell its going to cost 400 with a new module.

Went to awesome and told me couldn't tell me if it was the right module. Mentioned something about low medium high whatever that means. And because they couldn't tell its going to cost 400 with a new module.

Whatever you do, don't fork out £400 until you get a VCDS scan to confirm what module you have. 

They were talking about the different modules...low line, high line etc. Does your car have controls on the steering wheel for the radio?.......if so IIRC you have a high line module.

Whatever you do, don't fork out £400 until you get a VCDS scan to confirm what module you have.

They were talking about the different modules...low line, high line etc. Does your car have controls on the steering wheel for the radio?.......if so IIRC you have a high line module.

Hi yes it does have radio and telephone controls on the steering wheel. they did vcds scan while I was waiting. And it didn't tell them if was compatible. That's what they told me.

There are issues with some newer modules so even if you have a mfsw from the factory it won't support cruise

5K0 953 549A or 5K0 953 549D

5K0 953 569A or 5K0 953 569D

the above would need to be replaced

Cheers Eddie how can I find out which module I have as awesome couldn't or wouldn't tell me.

easiest way is to do a vcds scan

you can also prise the top cowling trim on the steering column, you should be able to see the part number on the sticker

Will have a look at taking the cowling off as vcds couldn't tell awesome what module it was according to them.

Will have a look at taking the cowling off as vcds couldn't tell awesome what module it was according to them.

VCDS WILL tell you exactly what controller is fitted.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That part number appears to be the stalks and not the steering controller.

I'm not totally up on the combined indicator (and CC) / wiper set up, but I think you need the part number of the steering controller to determine whether you can have CC.

Maybe the controller is built in to these ones (I don't think they are), but you'll need to change the whole combined stalk set up to put one with CC controls in.

This link has the details on the steering controllers compatibility: http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/Steering_Wheel_Control_Module_Versions

Edited by KBPhoto

Going off the chart I linked to above it is not a 'yes' but it's also not a 'no'.

My old Octavia had a similar situation, I tried it, it worked.

However, given the cost of the complete stalk setup, I'd want better reassurance than that before I splash out the money. Or change the steering controller to one that definitely does support CC: like the 'E' suffix of the same part number.

Edited by KBPhoto