Anyone uprated the std fit Xenon Bulbs?

Lofty

Just looking about to see if there are any quality bulb upgrades people have done on the FACTORY FIT Xenon headlights.

They come as standard with a D2S 12v 35w bulb with what I think is about a 4000k light output.

I have found some Osran Xenarc D2S bulbs with 5500k light output but everything above that (output wise) ie 6000k and 8000k seem to be cheap bulbs made in someones shed in China.

Anyone with OE xenons up-spec'd their bulbs? Mine has got the original bulbs in from new and at 13 yrs old they could prob do with being refreshed!!

• Like 1

I went a little bit silly when it came to headlights a couple of years ago.

Purchased a set of Depo's with a set of D2S ballasts and bulbs. Had an issue with beam cut offs and weird colours being emitted, and eventually got rid of them after a replacement set doing the same. (The ballast kit also interfered with the radio which was another reason I got rid of them)

The bulbs I had with those were the cheap 6000k options that came with the kit, and although the light output was better than the halogen bulbs, it perhaps wasn't quite the improvement I was hoping for.

Eventually found a genuine set of Hella units someone was selling on Ebay, so grabbed them as soon as I could! Lenses were frosty, so got those polished up, and it was using a set of 4300K Philips bulbs, which again didn't quite give the output I was perhaps hoping for... (I assume they were the originals)

So I then took the plunge on the 66240cbi 5500K Osrams you mentioned, and the improvement was incredible! Much more uniform light projected either side of the car as well as directly in front, and the colour being slightly more white certainly makes it easier on the eye!

So IMO, if you don't mind spending the extra on a set of 'genuine' bulbs, then certainly go for the Osrams!

I'd recommend the Philips Xenarc range, http://www.powerbulbs.com/product/osram-xenarc-night-breaker-unlimited-d2s-twin - the Nightbreaker version being the one I went for.

I ran 3 Fabia vRSes, two with factory xenons and would highly recommend them.

There's also 20% off Powerbulbs at the moment, so a proper pair of D2S bulbs for £80 delivered is a steal :thumbup: 

Had a message off Joe, he directed me to an American forum strictly for HID talk, there was a 239 page thread on uprated D2S bulbs.

Seems the ones to go for are 5500k as ryanrsf mentioned above, so I've ordered a set of Osram Xenarc bulbs, not cheap but should do the job. I'll try and get some pics of before and after up.

• Like 1

The ones I ended up getting were Morimoto HB35

5500k. They are very good bulbs and come highly rated from the HID forum geeks!

I had to import them. Cost £42 for a pair.

Edited by vRS Joe
  • Like 1

The ones I ended up getting were Morimoto HB35

5500k. They are very good bulbs and come highly rated from the HID forum geeks!

I had to import them. Cost £42 for a pair.

From reading up on these they are out performing Osram and Philips in all light tests.

Would be good to see what they are like Joe.

Sent from my Galaxy S5

Had a message off Joe, he directed me to an American forum strictly for HID talk, there was a 239 page thread on uprated D2S bulbs.

Seems the ones to go for are 5500k as ryanrsf mentioned above, so I've ordered a set of Osram Xenarc bulbs, not cheap but should do the job. I'll try and get some pics of before and after up.

So,you spoke to Joe,read the 239page thread on the HID forum,then still went and ordered bulbs that have cost you twice the price as the ones recommended? :D

Are you the brummie version of steveopc? ;)

Edited by coskev
  • Like 2

Had a message off Joe, he directed me to an American forum strictly for HID talk, there was a 239 page thread on uprated D2S bulbs.

At least you didn't go for the 55W "headlamp melters" :)

The Morimoto 35W 4500K bulbs would have been my long term choice.

Whiter/bluer/purplier is blingier/chavier but actually gives less light output. Optimum colour temp is usually stated as around 3800K.

IMO anything 6K and under is a pragmatic choice depending on usage.... Anything above that belongs in a zoo..... Or a cruise as they used to be known. ;)

• Like 2

The Morimoto HB35 bulbs are rated for 35 to 55w ballasts apparently (stock is 35w)

I have 55w ballasts and my headlights ain't melted yet!

Edit the effect of the more powerful ballasts it seems is to lower the colour temp of the bulbs. I fitted 5500k but they are probably more like 4500k now Ie white not blue. 4300-4500 is the optimum for usable light.

Edited by vRS Joe
  • Like 1

Definitely be interested in the results of this Matt. As I've always thought that my HID's in the projectors don't light the road anywhere near as well as I thought they would.

Do yours run the same bulbs as the OE ones though?

Have it in my head Depos run a diff type of bulb?

The Morimoto HB35 bulbs are rated for 35 to 55w ballasts apparently (stock is 35w)

I have 55w ballasts and my headlights ain't melted yet!

Edit the effect of the more powerful ballasts it seems is to lower the colour temp of the bulbs. I fitted 5500k but they are probably more like 4500k now Ie white not blue. 4300-4500 is the optimum for usable light.

As Joe says,his are really good for light output and the colour is a very bright white.

He followed me to Oulton park the other morning and there is no chavvy colours showing at all :)

Yes they run the standard D2S bulbs

Sent from my D5503 using Tapatalk

Tidy.

Easy answer then,just order what Joe has quoted above ;)

Matt just likes wasting money so don't wait on his opinions on his expensive ones! :D

As the xenon bulbs age then the colour temperature changes and they also take longer to reach colour temperature. If you were to change 10 year old xenon bulbs for brand new ones of the same type you'll see a big improvement in light output.

10 year old bulbs will be heading towards 6000K, so fitting 5000K and up bulbs may well leave you with the same light output as now. Maximum output is at about 4300K and that is why OEM is that temperature.

Edited by mannyo

Just in case anyone wants to take a punt/risk.... For the price differential it's worth it, if they work. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Morimoto-D2S-4500K-OEM-Bulb/dp/B00XA3CEC6/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1450002543&sr=1-2&keywords=morimoto+d2s

Amazon USA item that ships to UK. Not all sellers of the same item will though.

J.

Just in case anyone wants to take a punt/risk.... For the price differential it's worth it, if they work. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Morimoto-D2S-4500K-OEM-Bulb/dp/B00XA3CEC6/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1450002543&sr=1-2&keywords=morimoto+d2s

Amazon USA item that ships to UK. Not all sellers of the same item will though.

J.

Will I be hit with import tax if I decided to buy these do you know?

Ignore me, just read the full ad :p

Edited by jars