DPF Regen?

3 hours ago, benterrier said:

My 18 plate 2l TDI has done 12k. I'm interested in keeping an eye on the dpf soot levels and regens. Looking at Karl03V5 links above the Carista elm 327 dongle paired with App VAG dpf pro or free would be the way to go. I've not used anything like this before and would appreciate any advice.

Yep - that's what I use.

That's my website and the VAG DPF screen shots are for my car. I'll have to think long and hard as my DPF becomes more and more full. There is the option to have it gutted and mapped out but thats illegal. I'd pay for the better dongle and the pro software. Works out less than £20

12 minutes ago, OldBoyScout said:

I have ordered a Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 Car Diagnostic Scanner Reader which I think should work for this as it is ELM 327. It is under £8 and has a 4 star rating. I will report back in due course.

Panlong .........not hiding fact it's possibly made in China but guess ther'e all made there anyway. Long as it works. Wait for the report Oldboyscout,

Not much to report. The Panlong gadget paired with my tablet but did not connect. I tried with a phone and a different tablet but they could not even detect the Panlong, even after unplugging and re-plugging the Panlong and stopping and restarting Bluetooth on the other devices.

I am returning the Panlong as defective and have ordered the Carista.

On 26/10/2019 at 15:38, Gmac983 said:

I have suggested similar on other dpf threads here based on my own experiences with a 2012 Yeti 2.0tdi 140 and also with my Grand Picasso airdream hdi. In both instances I was advised by main dealer techs to drive to handbook recommendations (similar as you say above) in a lower gear with increased revs even if no dpf light is showing as it will always help out the dpf in staying clean, a perfectly logical thing to do I thought. 

Other opinionators on those other dpf threads shot me down like a burning spitfire for suggesting such a thing. 

I don't believe you should need to change driving style to keep a DPF happy assuming the car is in good condition and most journeys are sufficiently long to get everything to temperature.

As for lower gears/more revs, it should help increase the DPF temperature assisting both passive or active regeneration. However, it'll probably reduce the fuel economy and possibly create more soot thus reducing the overall DPF lifespan.

Hopefully that doesn't come across as shooting you down - it's just my experience of a MY12 Octavia CR140 over ~133k miles (181k total) with zero DPF issues to report. Based on the current oil ash levels, the DPF should last at least ~240k miles despite a 'normal' driving style :)

56 minutes ago, langers2k said:

As for lower gears/more revs, it should help increase the DPF temperature assisting both passive or active regeneration. However, it'll probably reduce the fuel economy and possibly create more soot thus reducing the overall DPF lifespan.

Hopefully that doesn't come across as shooting you down - it's just my experience of a MY12 Octavia CR140 over ~133k miles (181k total) with zero DPF issues to report. Based on the current oil ash levels, the DPF should last at least ~240k miles despite a 'normal' driving style :)

No your certainly not shooting me down.

If only everyone could have such balanced sensible discussions without taking the huff on here things would be great...

I had a yeti of the same age as your octy with the same 140 cr tdi engine. Mine regened regularly but never once had the dpf light on. Many of my journeys were short, sometimes too short to allow a regen to complete its cycle, hence why I was advised to "drive to the handbook recommendations". But critically the increased engine revs in a lower gear to aid regen is done at a steady speed not under hard acceleration which would generate more soot. Also whilst the car is doing a regen it uses more fuel anyway. 

You have done considerably more miles than I have without problem, so I'll never know if what I did with both my dpf equiped vehicles made any difference or not. 

I now have a gpf equiped kodiaq so it will be interesting to see if I ever notice it doing a regen (Do gpf vehicles behave the same as dpf vehicles during a regen? High idle etc?) in the future or if the gpf light comes on as my usage remains the same as it did back when I had the yeti

Edited by Gmac983

2 hours ago, Gmac983 said:

Do gpf vehicles behave the same as dpf vehicles during a regen? High idle etc?

Not sure about behaviour of vehicle, but instructions on assisting a regen are different for petrol. In particular the bit that says release the accelerator pedal and let the vehicle roll with the gear engaged for a few seconds, and repeat several times.

image.png.df6fe6ed8d3d0ae6f6fff3e9bd3a013c.png

Up to now the advice commonly given to prospective buyers has been not to buy a diesel if trips are mainly short and urban. I am wondering what advice will be given to prospective buyers of petrol cars in future if they are all going to be fitted with gpfs.

^^^Yep I had the instructions down already, cheers though 👍

Was just interested to see how the engine might behaved during a regen if anyone knew of the characteristics. 

How I understand it, gpf's shouldn't have such a tough time as dpf's just because a petrol engine produces way less soot than a diesel. Also petrol has a much higher exhaust gas temperature to help burn of the soot etc. I guess only time will tell how gpf's will perform... 

Edited by Gmac983

4 minutes ago, Roottootemoot said:

Cheers for that, quite interesting. 

Seems to sound like there won't be a high idle situation with a gpf regen then. 

Basically they have to "blow through" of the throttle (as above at 3000>5000rpm) to ignite and burn away the soot. 

On 29/10/2019 at 13:42, benterrier said:

Thanks for the update. Post your results when you get Carista.

I now have the Carista and am successfully running VAG DPF app full version on a 3 year old Lenovo TAB2 A7-20 tablet with Android version 4.4.2.

It is indicating 20 miles and 55 minutes (which I think must be driving time) since the last regen. It is showing soot mass of 10.28g and oil ash residue of 14.4g = 18%.

The car has done 32,442 miles. I am thinking that the DPF might last for a further 130,000 miles, which would take a further 16 years at the present rate.