Hard cut / popcorn limiter anyone?

Evening all,

I've got my fabia vrs in for a remap tomorrow and have been debating adding a hard cut rev limiter on...

Yes or no?

I love the sound of the hard cut limiter on some YouTube videos I've been watching...

My question is - what rpm is the hard cut limiter best set at?

Many thanks

Jamie.

I have one, yes its a bit chavy but I don't really care lol.

Mines set at the normal rev limiter, and my launch control limiter is about 2700 I think.

Might be a bit Chavy I agree with you there but sounds awesome :D

Would you recommend launch control set at the 2700? Wasn't really looking into launch control as such more just the hard cut limiter... Would you recommend both?

I wouldn't bother with launch control, it's pretty pointless Imo. But if you want the hard cut limiter then go for it. If you don't like it then don't hit the limiter haha

That's what I was thinking regarding the launch control... I deffo want the hard cut limiter though! So should I set it at normal rev limiter?

My hard cut limiter is set at 5400 rpm. All depends on what turbo and level of tune you are running. If it's a bigger turbo it will boost for longer, then a higher rpm limiter.

So I'm now remapped, hard cut limiter set at 4500 rpm, don't think I will hit it much though!

I'm running standard turbo just uprated SMIC and straight through decat exhaust... Sounds so good!

• Like 1

I have the piper back box delete in the shed. May try it when it gets warmer

Jamie has a full milltek from the turbo to backbox but had a custom backbox delete also so basically a straight pipe from the turbo out the back.

There will be videos soon ;) only if you're the camera man :D

Deal :P

• 6 years later...

Hi newbie here - had lots of different cars over the years and dif modifications, but new to the popcorn limiter/hard cut limiter and was wondering can you have it in a standard exhaust? Or do I need a straight through? Someone mentioned the cat might be a problem 

1 hour ago, Fannieann said:

Hi newbie here - had lots of different cars over the years and dif modifications, but new to the popcorn limiter/hard cut limiter and was wondering can you have it in a standard exhaust? Or do I need a straight through? Someone mentioned the cat might be a problem 

Trying to make a turbo diesel sound like a turbo petrol is the problem, without a straight through exhaust you won't hear the stupid noises so it's completely pointless.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fannieann said:

Doesn’t seem to be a problem for everyone else here 🤷🏼‍♀️🥰

Yes it is, I've been here more than ten years, you can't make the stupid noises with the standard system, you have to either fit a noisy system like the Miltek or a straight pipe from the turbo back.

Easiest of all, buy a petrol car with a hard cut rev limiter which cuts the spark but continues to inject fuel, pops, bangs and flames just like a real rally car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Fannieann said:

No some else seems to think they’re stupid noises is what I was referring to…

I do, and I doubt that I am alone or in a minority.

• Like 3

You been here 10 years?? On the planet or the forum?? 😂

mate I been in cars around 20!!! Doesn’t make me a smart ass.. 
Still thought I’d check how a hard limiter would be on a standard system, someone at work has done one and I didn’t think it would be beneficial and would damage the cat - as soon as someone says popcorn limiter you instantly think ‘straight through’.. thanks for the **** though will crack on anyhow 👌🏻 

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I do, and I doubt that I am alone or in a minority.

Posts above from 2015 clearly love it hence why I thought I’d post on here - to the people that appreciate it so would be good to talk to about it. couldn’t care less if you think it’s stupid this post clearly isn’t for you move along 

if I wanted a rally car I would buy or create one, I’m not interested in petrol and flames been there done that about 15 years ago!
simply wanted to know if a popcorn limiter would work standard - clarified my thoughts - it won’t!

Your assertion was incorrect whether you could care less or not.

Just saying...................................................