The meaning of Llif

Obscuredavid

Driving on a minor road near Bala in the Principality, we went through what I estimate was about 10 inches of water right across the road for about 40 yards. Loads of the roads around here have flood warnings, but not this one. All was fine, with water splashing all around, including on to the windscreen. Any advice about driving through floodwater (apart from dont) ?

As an addition - if your Yeti is DSG equipped, manually select "1" and stick with it, don't leave it in auto!

I hadn't thought about it (we don't get many floods up here) but that's probably what I would have done...

Driving on a minor road near Bala in the Principality, we went through what I estimate was about 10 inches of water right across the road for about 40 yards. Loads of the roads around here have flood warnings, but not this one. All was fine, with water splashing all around, including on to the windscreen. Any advice about driving through floodwater (apart from dont) ?

Carry a pole to test the depth, you should not tackle anything deeper than halfway up your wheels.

My B-in-L driving a new Landrover, started to ford a flooded road and ended up nose down where

the road had washed away.

Carry a pole to test the depth, you should not tackle anything deeper than halfway up your wheels.

My B-in-L driving a new Landrover, started to ford a flooded road and ended up nose down where

the road had washed away.

That is NOT the recommended fording depth of a Yeti!!

Handbook says bottom of the sills.

If possible,keep to the crown of the road where the water is likely to be less deep.

... and hopefully you keep clear of raised/missing ironwork. I went through what I thought was a puddle in my then new Fabia (swapped when only a few months old for the Yeti) and hit an 8 or 9 inch square drain without a cover which cost me a new tyre. I counted myself lucky though 'cos the wheel was OK. You need to know what's lurking under the surface!

Edited by longedge

That is NOT the recommended fording depth of a Yeti!!

Handbook says bottom of the sills.

I didn't say it was, it is a general rule for the less experienced.

Incidently my sill to the bottom is 11" and the centre of my 17"

wheel is around 13".

• Like 1

I used to work out in the Mendips and one morning (4:45a.m.)

with the rain still stair rodding down I took a sloping l/h bend

out of a village and ran slap bang into a pool of flood water

it was about three cars lengths wide.

I was in 3rd for the bend and just kept my foot at the same

setting and tried to steer for the middle of the road, luckily it

did move over but the wheels had no grip and the car

aquaplaned on its belly pan until the wheels bit and restored

my forward travel to safe roadway. Returning at the end of my shift

the water was almost gone but there was a car still there looking

all forlorn it has obviously hit the big pool of water in the dark but

had not been as lucky.